Old 09-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Aging RVers

As an aging RVer (80 years old at next birthday) but still in good health, I'm beginning to wonder how long I might expect to continue the RV lifestyle. One concern I have is whether to invest substantially in a new truck or trailer, considering I might not use it too many more years. I'd like to hear from others who still drive and camp in their later years, and general thoughts on the subject. Thoughts and opinions from younger as well as older campers would be welcome.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuff View Post
As an aging RVer (80 years old at next birthday) but still in good health, I'm beginning to wonder how long I might expect to continue the RV lifestyle. One concern I have is whether to invest substantially in a new truck or trailer, considering I might not use it too many more years. I'd like to hear from others who still drive and camp in their later years, and general thoughts on the subject. Thoughts and opinions from younger as well as older campers would be welcome.
After losing 4 of my old high school buddies, suddenly, within the last 3 months, I'm spending every nickle I have and leaving nothing to anyone......other than possessions I already own. If I could afford a new truck every year, I'd buy one.

The thought is understandable. But as a 70 year old with health problems, and DW's health problems, we're hooking up, heading out, eating well, and howling at the moon.

If you go less, you go less. But you would have what you need when/if you do go.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

I guess that’s an individual answer with a lot of variables. What I would suggest is finding a used TT that is in good condition. You might look in retirement areas to see what you find. Others in your shoes may have bought new, but decided not to (or couldn’t) keep traveling for one reason or another. Same with your truck.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Think deeply over this. Decide what you are comfortable with, personally and financially. You only have so many more trips around the nearest star. Get the size you are comfortable with. Only you know your limitations. Get near or outside of your comfort zone, the trip become anxious and difficult.

Above all, be reasonable with your expectations. also, keep in mind your physical limitations with whatever you get. You will have to hook and unhook. Be safe, have fun!
A Loving wife and Mason the always dirty dog!
Paulie1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #5

As long as you are feeling good and not a danger to yourself or others, just keep going, my father in law is 93 and still plays golf and rides his dirt bike. He says he feels great, god bless him. Get what's best for you nobody else. Get out as much as you can an enjoy yourself, there are no promises of tomorrow,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

If you stay active as you grow old many health issues are mitigated.

A year ago I had a quad bypass thanks to my dad's genes. He died at 58 of Coronary Artery Disease.

I kept bugging my Dr's as to when I could resume my activities. Today I feel better than I ever did and have no plans to stop traveling. If I need a new vehicle it will happen. I think of myself the same as a piece of equipment. If I take care of the mechanics, feed on good fuel, and keep the parts moving, it will be a long time before I rust and become immobile.

Sitting around and wondering how long one has left is a good way to waste a lot of that time they do have left.

I'm approaching 76 and have no plans to slow down. So far I've been camping for over 60 days and have driven over 5,000 miles. Getting ready to hit the road for another month (or more) and another 4,000 miles.

FWIW, I know of people who've been going strong with their RV's into their late 80's and early 90's. Age is becoming more and more "just a number".

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #7

I thought that at 75 I would quit driving all over. But now I hope to keep camping a little longer. I would like to talk DW into me getting a dually but not much hope there. Iím planning a trip to Alaska next year and after that trip I would like to trade campers, wish me luck on that one. I have a friend who is 82 and still camping. I am going to stop driving 500 miles a day, 250 would be nice
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Being I'm 75 I would hope to be able to travel for a few more years. A new camper is not in the future but I did buy a new truck. I can justify the truck but not a camper as how long can one continue to do so camping. Can always use the truck. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 55
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Camper Bruce

Send a message via Yahoo to CamperBruce
too old to camp ?

I am 56 years old so I hope I am old enough to comment on this post, I think I am, my DW and I are on vacation and we were visiting with relatives that are in there 90's. All thought they are not campers, my wife was asking them what was there secret to living long lives and there response was keeping active in your life. I think as long as you are capable of camping and your enjoying your self - keep camping
CamperBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

I am only 63 but feel much younger. Getting old is a state of mind, but you don't have choice but to get older. We bought a new TT this year, took it on the road for a month and sold it for what we paid for it. It took about 20 minutes on Craigs List (in late June) to find a buyer. That TT was not right for us. The next day, I found the right TT, my wife agreed, and we bought it. We did 7000 miles around the east coast in 5 weeks this year. Next year will be about the same mileage and time in the Rockies. By the way, my wife had a stroke at age 42 and she claims that getting back into travelling for the last 8 years has been her motivation/inspiration to keep getting better. Most people do not notice that she has limited mobility because she doesn't let her abilities stop her. We have been questioned a few times about using campsites that are for disabled people. We praise God that we are able to continue doing this activity that we both love. When it is time to slow down, we will know it, but until then, we will keep on putting on miles.

BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote