Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogieboy View Post
yep.... wish we could go back to the days of our representative actually being just that, a NON PAID position in addition to their regular job... bet the govt would be in a lot less debt if they did that....
Dreamer [emoji16]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #82

Just had my maiden flights (4) with my new HobbyZone Carbon Cub S 2 1.3m RTF Basic Electric Airplane. All the reviews said it was a good trainer for beginners with room to improve skills and the local hobby shop recommended it for our altitude and winds, not to mention it was in stock! I've launched and crashed two RC sailplanes and have an RC sailboat and motorboat so I have some experience. It was exhilarating and I'm looking forward to more flight time!
PeteBrayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #83

I've heard a lot of good things about the Carbon Cub. This hobby can definitely get addicting.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Hoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #84

I came home from the Flying Field this morning with another plane. One of our club members recently passed away, and his widow donated his RC stuff to the club, which was then auctioned off to raise funds for the club treasury.

I got the Hobbyking BFG 2600 and a folding stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_135139_resized.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	252238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_135718_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	617.3 KB
ID:	252239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_135723_resized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	252240  

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Old 04-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoomi View Post
I came home from the Flying Field this morning with another plane. One of our club members recently passed away, and his widow donated his RC stuff to the club, which was then auctioned off to raise funds for the club treasury.

I got the Hobbyking BFG 2600 and a folding stand.

Have you had a chance to fly the BFG2600 yet? How does it perform?

I find myself becoming more and more drawn to sailplanes and chasing lift here lately.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Have you had a chance to fly the BFG2600 yet? How does it perform?

I find myself becoming more and more drawn to sailplanes and chasing lift here lately.
I'm still going through it to make sure it's airworthy, but I do have the old Flyzone Calypso, which was my first RC plane back around October of 2017. I flew it this weekend, and managed to catch thermals a couple of times. The Calypso (and the BFG) are older models that have been discontinued, but there are some nice new models available now. It's definitely a different mode of flying.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Old 04-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #87
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Ha I do RC Live steam locos in G Scale. Lot safer no worries about air craft wreck Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoomi View Post
I'm still going through it to make sure it's airworthy, but I do have the old Flyzone Calypso, which was my first RC plane back around October of 2017. I flew it this weekend, and managed to catch thermals a couple of times. The Calypso (and the BFG) are older models that have been discontinued, but there are some nice new models available now. It's definitely a different mode of flying.

I've got a Calypso as well, and flew it this past Sunday. I had a 53 minute flight with only 6 1/2 minutes of motor on time. That's my best flight yet on it. I've got it set up with adjustable camber, positive and negative flaps, and crow as well. With the crow, it will come down like an elevator. I've read that there are a lot of improvements that can be made to the Calypso to improve its performance, but mine is bone stock.

I've got an old Goldberg Gentle Lady that I need to get out again... the 'Lady is a much better thermaling glider than the Calypso... I've specked it out numerous times and somehow got it back down. I use a power pod with a Cox TeeDee .049 on it to get it up. I've also got a Goldberg Sophisticated Lady as well that I got at a swap meet that needs to get up in the air also sometime.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 04-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #89

My father and I built a Gentle Lady when I was a kid back in the 80's. Had the .049 engine pod too. We flew on the north side of Indianapolis. There were several summer days we had 6+ hour flights. We did loops and steep turns to get her down when we got tired.

One day I forgot to check control operation before launching. We followed her in the car for 2 hours. She landed unharmed in a soybean field. That was the last time I made that mistake.

She was a fantastic glider.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
My father and I built a Gentle Lady when I was a kid back in the 80's. Had the .049 engine pod too. We flew on the north side of Indianapolis. There were several summer days we had 6+ hour flights. We did loops and steep turns to get her down when we got tired.

One day I forgot to check control operation before launching. We followed her in the car for 2 hours. She landed unharmed in a soybean field. That was the last time I made that mistake.

She was a fantastic glider.

LOL, You're not the only one who has sent one up with the switch turned off!!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
Old 04-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #91

I flew the BFG 2600 yesterday. She's a docile flyer, with an impressive presence in the air. Next time I fly her, I need to put the GPS data logger on board. I'm pretty sure I flew her higher than any other of my RC planes. With an 8.5 foot wingspan, though, she's easier to see up higher than my other planes, and doesn't seem as high when watching from the ground. The edited video of the flight is now up on YouTube. I brought her down earlier than I really needed to, considering I was running a 3000 mAh 4S battery, but for a first flight, I didn't want to push things.

https://youtu.be/9kXeM3fZDkE

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Old 04-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #92
Trailer Park Supervisor

Angry DJI not supporting legacy A/C!!

So all this talk makes me want to fly again. So I go to DJI site looking for batteries, as my originals are so old I don't trust them. Nothing for my Phantom 2 Vision +. Write to DJI. Apparently they don't support older models???? I'm angry. I spent a lot of money on my Phantom2 setup, now it's a brick! I see aftermarket batteries on Amazon, but I don't trust they won't drop my bird from the sky after reading reviews. Anybody have any luck with a certain aftermarket LiPO battery?

Really ticked that DJI discontinued parts for a model that they stopped making, makes me not want to buy DJI again.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #93

My Vision+ is still flying on it’s original batteries, a friend has been using it once in awhile since I went to the Mavic.
I’m very careful not to update the software because it sounds like it is frying one of the components.
I’d take a chance on the batteries better than not being able to use it at all.
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #94
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks, will avoid updating software, mine is probably still pre-400' ceiling software. Never went that high anyway, too high up to see ground details. I haven't charged batteries in years, will give it a go. Either old batts, or aftermarket batts, will test with hovering 2 feet off ground and time battery life a couple times, make sure they don't suddenly crap out and crash her.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #95
Haulin' Toys

Been into RC for 20+ years, mainly flying, but I did race 1/10th scale on and offroad nitro for a bit. I also have a few crawlers as well.

I fly a bit of everything, from micro to giant scale. I love sailplanes, both winch launch and electric powered. I also fly tricopters and quads, mainly FPV, but a few LOS aerobatic ones as well. Been going to Joe Nall since it was held in Mr. Pat's front yard, and I have spent a lot of time at Triple Tree as well, for Nall and other events.

Camping and RC go hand in hand!
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #96

I am getting back into RC planes again. I have a Sig Kaos, Sig Kavalier, Gentle Lady, and a never assembled Bird Of Time (21 ft sailplane) I will be picking up some fuel next time I get to a hobby shop that sells it. I live near Baraboo Wi and the closest shop that sells fuel is 70 miles away. It will take some time getting use to the 400 max flying. I stopped by the flying field the other day and the smell of nitromethane and castor oil exhaust has me itching to get back in the air.
At one time I flew a lot and got as high as level 4 in the AMA pattern testing. That was what the Kaos was used for.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 PM   #97

Glider launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyos View Post
Been into RC for 20+ years, mainly flying, but I did race 1/10th scale on and offroad nitro for a bit. I also have a few crawlers as well.

I fly a bit of everything, from micro to giant scale. I love sailplanes, both winch launch and electric powered. I also fly tricopters and quads, mainly FPV, but a few LOS aerobatic ones as well. Been going to Joe Nall since it was held in Mr. Pat's front yard, and I have spent a lot of time at Triple Tree as well, for Nall and other events.

Camping and RC go hand in hand!
When I was flying gliders we used either 100 feet of 3/8 inch surgical tubing with some 150lb braided fishing line on the end the glider attached to. Attached via a ring. The line had a parachute on the end so the breeze would lay it out. The other launch option was a car starter with a long 150 lb braided fishing line. Car starter got you a lot more elevation.
Camp20144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #98

Not quite flying but the first run of my winter boat build was great, it’s a Whiplash FG with a stock Tiger King 26cc.

https://youtu.be/ySloYGlcFM4
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #99

I recently got into the hobby with a Horizon Hobby Carbon Cub S2 for learning on. I also bought a 1.2m P-51D Mustang and a 2.0 m B-24 Liberator for when I advance my flying skills. I built a few balsa planes as a kid and flew a hanglider in my 20's. I crashed a couple of rc sailplanes a few years ago!
PeteBrayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #100

I Fly RC, a Builder, not an assembler. I do have a few ARF, convenient, but you see one, you seen them all. My latest project that is just about ready for a maiden is a Top Flight Corsair with a Saito 120R3 radial in it. My problem is, most of my planes are too big to take with, and that last thing I need is for them to get damaged. I have a trailer just for the planes, 6x12 enclosed that I take to fly ins and such.

Someday my B-25 will be completed, it is still in the sanding, shaping, glassing stage.

Custom made exhaust

My Favorite shot