Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #101

Bhrava...
thanks for sharing... beautiful

I have attended "Jets Over Kentucky" meet near Bardstown, KY around July 4 for several years and marvel at the attention to detail on most of the models there. Easy to get up-close as many days there are minimal crowds. Have not been now since 2018... gonna have to look at going this year again.

https://www.jokjets.com/

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #102
Haulin' Toys

I still fly bungee launch as well, with my old WindDrifter. It occasionally sees the winch (car starter), but you have to feather the pedal a lot to keep from folding the wings.

My club had a sailplane contest this weekend, I competed in the electric class with my Olympic II. 20 second motor run, 15 minute flight, with landing bonus. 5 flights with scores tallied. (1 point per minute, 5 point landing bonus) Conditions were not the best, and turbulence was crazy close to the ground, so none of use were able to get the landing bonus, but I did manage to snag first place. I got lucky and had 3 back to back flights that i maxed out, and the other two were solid 10 minute flights.

It was close though, I only won by 2 points..against a new fully moulded carbon and kevlar bird. He had a couple of bad reads and ended up in some serious sink shortly after his launch. Had it not been for that, I wouldn't have stood a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp20144 View Post
When I was flying gliders we used either 100 feet of 3/8 inch surgical tubing with some 150lb braided fishing line on the end the glider attached to. Attached via a ring. The line had a parachute on the end so the breeze would lay it out. The other launch option was a car starter with a long 150 lb braided fishing line. Car starter got you a lot more elevation.
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #103

I've got one glider, a 3 channel powered one, an ARF foamie. I occasionally break it out and fly it from my pasture. It gets up pretty high and have been able to fly it for over an hour zipping it up, letting it come down, then going back up again. I think its called the Radian. Not bad for when I just want to get out and lazy fly without dragging out the field box and fuel cans and having to take off from the ground. Don't even need to go to the flying field. I could fly all my planes from my house if I wanted to, but as a courtesy to my one neighbor to the left of me, whose house is in the landing path, I use the AMA field instead. I don't worry about flying the foamie at home since I don't need to fly over their house to land it, I can crab walk it in. I also have a foamie trainer from when I first started flying that I can do the same with, doesn't need much runway to land and I can pretty much harrier it down depending on head wind.

hmm, now that I think about it, I should pack the Radian up when I go camping. I'm pretty sure I can find an open field to fly it in, and since you can barely hear it when climbing, I doubt anyone would complain.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #104

I was into RC up until about 3 years ago, attending fun flies in my R-Pod 179. I went on hiatus while I dealt with my wife's health issues but I'm looking to get back into it and start attending fun flies again. I primarily sport-fly RC helicopters but I have a couple of airplanes for a change of pace.
TheBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #105

We took the trailer to the Arizona Electric Festival back in February. While the winds discouraged some of the flying, the AEF is always an incredible experience, and many of the planes are absolutely amazing.

While I didn't have the bomb drop yet at the AEF, this is one of the planes I took up there with me. This flight took place about a month later, and the bomb drop is rather fun.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Hoomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:55 PM   #106

Fun video! How far were you from your target?
How did you get YouTube to allow that copyrighted music? Heck I got busted for having Neil Diamond on the radio while I shot a short video from my truck!
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #107

YouTube has a license agreement now with many music publishers, that allows copyrighted music in posted content. When the video is uploaded, the YouTube system detects the music, and states that, per the license agreement, ads may be run on the video, with the revenue going back to the music copyright holder. Additionally, copyrighted music, if I recall correctly, cannot be used for monetized content - i.e. if I were making money off my videos. Since my videos are all small audience, shared simply for the fun of showing the flights, I'm not trying to monetize my channel at all. I don't have nearly enough followers to make it worthwhile to try and earn revenue from my channel, and I'm still gainfully employed at the day job.

For the bomb drop, I pretty much just drop over the runway, and haven't really tried to hit any specific target. It might be fun to mount the drop mechanism on one of the planes that I sometimes fly FPV, and see how well I could do on a dive bomb drop, but as yet, I haven't tried that. The Flite Test Simple Scout would be a good candidate for that, as it has more than sufficient lift that the drop mechanism and bomb would be no problem to carry, and I've flown it a number of times using the FPV rig. For a foam board airplane kit that I bought on a whim over three years ago, the Simple Scout has been my "go-to" plane on more occasions than I care to count now. She's been flying for over three years, and when she finally either wears out or crashes, I'm definitely building another.

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #108

Yeah, I’m not one of those guys that makes money on Youtube or tic tack. Just wanted to show the grandkids some video from the South Dakota Badlands loop.

Cool video. I just fly my camera drones now. They’re far more forgiving than winged things…
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:52 PM   #109

I've got drones as well, but with the FAA restrictions on where they can be flown, I usually have to drive out of town to do so. There's also something very satisfying about putting together an airplane, and then flying it. I really love the Flite Test planes for that. It amazes me sometimes, just how well foamboard that's been cut, folded, and hot-glued together, will fly. They're making some pretty incredible looking foamboard planes now as well. I've built their Mighty Mini Zero and their Mighty Mini T-28 Trojan, and both look good and fly excellent. The Trojan is from their "Sky FX" line, that comes pre-printed for the decoration scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rick-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	273620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trojan.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	273621  

2021 Wolf Pup 16FQ
2005 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-21-2022, 10:46 AM   #110

I have yet to get the Corsair in the air. Been way too busy with the house and life in general, and this year converting horse pastures into hay field for tax reduction purposes. My workshop is a disaster with all the projects, no room to store anything so it piles up on the work bench. To make things worse, my Plasma Cutter main board got scorched so now I have to find another way to cut out the damage on my Mower Conditioner so that I can weld it back together straight.

Maybe in a year or two I can get back to RC.