Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Bear Tooth Pass

We will be traveling from yellowstone to Clacier in late June anad are thinking of taking the Bear Tooth Pass. PUlling a 33 ft Flagstaff 831bhds TT with an Excursion 7.3 TD.
Any advice? The road looks tight and twisted with some heavy climbs and drops

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Done it on a motorcycle a couple of times - great road for a bike !!! Think that if I tried towing our 8315BSS up there with our 2011 Ram 1500 I might be in a tad of trouble. Low gear all the way would probably be the result ...... and then there's coming down again on the other side. I can check some of my old photos, but I think that it's about 12000 feet or so at the top.

VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
I drove it last summer with our Van and its a pretty steep grade. Corner's are not really tight but going back down will be a good test for you brakes. Not near as tight as Going to the sun highway they will not even let you take it up there.
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Inveterate Tinkerer
Have done that road several times (not in a TT) and it is one of the most beautiful and spectacular drives in America. That said, the road, to me, is pretty twisty in spots, and there are some sharp turns. The last time I was on it was on a motorcycle at midnight at the top. Was real easy to overrun the headlight on the sharp turns as they dropped away left and right, so maybe I am remembering it to be scarier than it is. I would think that some of the turns would for sure require the whole road for a 30 foot TT. I would bet that others have done it though so maybe they will chime in here.....

Randy and Cheryl
Sir Guinness-(Manchester Terrier)
2012 Windjammer 3065W
Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison
ProPride 3P
Iluv2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
I would also like to do the drive. I do believe it tops out around 12000 feet! it would be slow going, but I don`t think I would want to do 50mph, even if I could.
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Took this 'by-way' last summer 2010 in my ram 3500..W O W!!!
The road is tight (2 small lanes) and twisted (5 s-type switchbacks in 6 1/2 miles) with some heavy climbs (2,800 feet up or down) and drops ( yes, it was what I call a 'shelf road'. Cut into the side of a 60% slope).
I had a 'fun' time without the 5th wheel. It would not be a fun drive up or down.
That being said I was a Motor home and a 5th wheel going down as I went up. The drive is one great view after another!

Forest River, Palomino, 2010 Sabre 31 RETS
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 ST Crew Cab 4X4, 6.7 Cummings Turbo Diesel, SRW, Short Bed, Reece 15K Slider Hitch
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote