Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #21

I never put drinks in the fridge. I can set the middle drawer of my fridge at home to 33 degrees. Almost frozen. I can not do that in the MH fridge. Couldn't do it in the predecessor TT either.

I always keep cold beverages of my choice in a cooler with ice. About as cold as you can get without freezing.

Things are changing since we retired last year. Before that we had a popup. I filled the fridge with drinks and set it on 12 volts. I left it unplugged and batteries off. Two days before departure I plugged in to shore power. Perishable food items went from the house fridge to a cooler at departure time with some blue ice. Along the way we stopped for ice for the other empty cooler. After setup the cool drinks from the TT fridge go into the cooler with the ice and the perishable food goes into the fridge. That was the best I could do with a folding TT.

To directly answer your question we always left home full of groceries. We almost always boondock. Sometimes 30 minutes of dirt road to the nearest paved road and then another 30 minutes to the nearest store.

We would frequently camp with DD, DS and his wife. In DS's college days sometimes a few of his college buddies would show up unannounced. We always had some extra non-perishable items to use a a supplement. These extras were in the TT during the entire 3 seasons of camping.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I load my Dometic with warm stuff and 2 hours later all is cold. Not sure why everyone has problems? I did put a new double quiet fan on the evaporator, seems to work just fine for us.

I don't get it either. I load mine to the gills with cold and warm stuff all the time. Never gives me any trouble.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I don't get it either. I load mine to the gills with cold and warm stuff all the time. Never gives me any trouble.

Our's gets cold fast as well. We load up a day ahead of time and bring most of what we'll be eating.

I do like to do some local shopping and like the smaller IGA's, usually have nice meat selection and equipped deli for salads. Walk-in beer cooler is a plus.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 PM   #24
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I always keep cold beverages of my choice in a cooler with ice. About as cold as you can get without freezing.
And having the drinks in the cooler frees up a whole lot of space in that tiny fridge! We will also put certain fruits in sealed baggies and put them in the cooler as well. Some work better than others... apples, oranges and grapes doing the best.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
Tinkerer and Putterer

We load and go the day of and throw two ice packs into both the freezer and fridge to speed things along. The ice packs speed things along nicely. We don't put warm items in either. The items are pre-cooled in the home fridge.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #26

We're fortunate to have 2 fridges. Outdoor fridge is loaded a day or 2 before with water and canned beverages. Indoor fridge is loaded the morning we leave. Both are turned on a coupled of days before we leave and we run the indoor fridge on propane while traveling. I do wonder if traveling with cans in the rear fridge is a good ideal but so far we haven't had any problems.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #27

We used to have problems with our Four Winds refrigerator not getting cool enough, and not very large. Our Sunseeker double fridge does great. We keep,it plugged in to keep the house batteries charged, but if we aren't going anywhere for a while, empty the fridge. A couple of days before, we turn it on and fill it up. We were able to take enough meat that I had portioned out and frozen to last almost three weeks and came home with some. The ice maker is a plus. Canned goods and some snacks stay in the RV. No boxes or bags to attract bugs. I do an inventory and stock as needed. The only thing we buy on the road is usually, milk, eggs, bread, etc. Oh and local produce and unique foods. We don't want to spend time at the store when we camp.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #28

We buy food after we get set-up. Traveling with the propane on makes me a little nervous. Actually, having the propane period makes me nervous....which is a little because we have a huge tank of gas and that doesn't both me LOL

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #29

Like the others have said we pre-cool the fridge from shore power. My wife has a laid out menu and it all goes in to cover the time. Whatever space is left we put in the fridge snacky stuff. If the trip is a little longer we go out and re-supply.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #30

As a lot have said we pre cool with shore power at home, and load pre cooled or frozen items. Tried something new this last trip, with the 3 grandkids. I purchased a ice maker, knowing we probably would be having a lot of drinks over 3-5 days. Worked out well, & didn't have to mess the the ice cube trays, & left more room in the freezer. Kept the bulk of the drinks in the storage compartment, but didn't try to keep them cold, just served over ice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #31

We store our tt at a storage yard. The night before leaving, we put frozen cold packs in the freezer & fridge and run it on propane. Next day about noon, the fridge & freezer are at max coldness. We put our chilled food items in, hook up and leave. We run the fridge on propane while traveling. Have had no problems doing it this way.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #32

fridge stays on from end of March till early November. Just restock what we need before a trip. Turn on fridge in outside kitchen few days ahead of time and fill with drinks. Plenty of cold beer on hand when I get to campground.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #33

Before or After

Fridge stays on all season. It is plugged into house electric between trips. Only perishable items are removed. Eggs and milk. Cupboards are left stocked. We have two of everything one for camper and one for house. Like Noah everything in twos. If the whim moves us we can be on the road in an hour or less
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #34

5th wheel is stored at a storage lot, so we put the fridge on propane as soon as we pick it up, drive it home, load up with food/drink (and a couple of ice-packs if it's not cold enough yet), and then leave it running while driving to campsite.

On our old pop-up, which was kept in the garage, we used to just hookup power the night before and run the fridge on electric (didn't want it running on propane in the garage), and then fill up before leaving (with some frozen goods in the fridge to help keep it cold while driving). We just disconnected before leaving home and let the cold stuff inside the fridge keep it cold.