Old 05-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Small Is still good for DW and I. We started in a Pop-up (That worked for ONE trip for my DW and no Bathroom) then it was on to a 18LT Work and Play with wall cot's 27" wide on each side. Now we have a 24FQSL Nitro with a front Queen.
Like others have already said, Just have fun and Relax!

USAF Ret. ______________________________________
2015 2500 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax 4X4
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #12
Site Team
The beauty of camping is everyone has their own style... some like class A,B or C motorhomes, some like fivers, tt, or htt. Others like pop ups or truck campers. Some like to rv resorts, some at state Parks, and some are seasonal while others prefer to boondock. There is a place for everyone to camp.and a type of rig for every style. Sit back, be proud, and enjoy your new rig

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
We started with a popup,went to two travel trailers, back to three more popups (they came a long way in early 2000's --queen beds on each end, toilet,shower, air conditioning). Then 3 more travel trailers, and last two 5ers. Last was a Salem Hemisphere 336rlt. Must not have made or sold verymany of them, because I think we have the only one in this forum.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
If you are of the opinion that bigger and more expensive is better, then that may be true to you. But, like I tell people, everything has it's pros and cons and certain types of RV are more appropriate to different types of uses. There are places that I can take my 21' that you aren't getting to in a class A. I never did feel inferior in my a little envious at times, lol..but never felt out of place. Never ran into anyone that really cared what I was pulling as long as it was a camper.

Don't worry though...I did feel a little small last year when I put my 2104S in next to two big motorhomes. All I could think was "man, mine looks so much bigger parked at the house".

Enjoy it, nobody thinks any less of it....and it beats the heck out of a tent
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
There is some big positives of small. You can get into more spaces in campgrounds. Better gas milage because you don't have to have a huge engine to pull it. And less expensive and cheaper to maintain. Just like a house you could have a huge house and not do anything because your house poor or a small house and enjoy living. Enjoy your adventures. You will be always welcome at a spot next to me!🎉👍
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2002 F150 5.4L extended cab 6.5 bed
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Leetch94 View Post
...talking about my Rockwood Freedom 1640, while all you guys are talkin' about your "rocket ships"...

try an 8x8 tent with wife and 2 kids on several 10day trips a couple of years in a row... Sun, rain, hot, cold..... makes one thankful for a dry bed and more caring for those in the campground in tents in a monsoon rain storm.

Love what you have and make many memories. What you stay in is not as important as what you do when you are out in 'the wild'.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #17
Mod free 5er
Here is how we started in Sep 1960 our tent on the right. The car in the background was NOT ours, we had a 52 Chev 2 door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our first camp site Sept1960.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	106935  
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #18
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Here is how we started in Sep 1960 our tent on the right. The car in the background was NOT ours, we had a 52 Chev 2 door.
I have been camping as an adult since the mid 70's. Started with a tent, went to 2 pop-ups, to a motor home and then 2 different fivers. Guess what? My current fiver is for sale and I am going back to a pop-up. Each one suited my family and me during the time we had them but the most fun and memories were when we had our pop-ups. The important thing is to enjoy what you have and the experience of camping.
retcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #19
JudiVan n Gus
Be Happy with what you have

We all have started somewhere, and when we were able to get out to camp
we mad the most of what we had and did. Be happy with what you have and just enjoy getting out with family and friends. Make the most of what you have, the bigger toys will come when you are ready....
Gus = 5.5lb Maltipoo lap puppy
2006 F250 Turbo 6.0
2016 FR Heritage Glen

It's not where you go in life, it's who you have with you that matters
judivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #20
Head Rambler
We camp in the 5er in my sig and our daughter and her family camps in a 1973 Coleman PUP. I envy them a lot of times when setting up. They can just unhook and manually maneuver the PUP where ever they want to. And while I'm still trying to get the 5er in just the right spot, they'll be done and set up.

The wife and I have talked about downsizing when I retire to something we can pull behind the SUV.

So, don't envy the 'Rocket Ships' cause sometimes we envy you.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote