Old 01-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #21

I worry about some low bridge markings. Did they repave the road and add 1 or2 inches? In NY they measure straight down so if is dipped underpass under a narrow bridge then with a trailer your tv will be going up before your your trailer has cleared the bridge making you higher then you thought. For these reasons if the marked clearance is very close I avoid it. I also have a book that lists actual height on all major roadways for low clearance. The listed height isn't always the actual. In some states they give you an extra foot unless it is marked "actual".

Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #22
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Low bridges are not an issue on highways and Interstates. We have a 13' 8" high fiver. Only once in traveling the country have we had an issue. In the TX panhandle there was a well marked 13' bridge. We stopped about 1/4 mile short and watched. Noticed 18 wheelers heading straight towards it. If they can, I can I thought. Turns out just short of the bridge was a road that went around the bridge. I just followed the big guys.
Most low clearances are well marked well in advance.
Be careful in Canada as they mark their clearances in meters, not feet, and I do not understand the metric system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Apologies, in post #6 I stated that bridges in Canada have a 13' 6" (4.15 Meters) clearance, in fact what I should have written is the Maximum vehicle height cannot exceed 4.15 meters without being declared over height! So all RV's not exceeding 13'6" will have no problem with any of the overpasses, unless other wise posted!
fyi, 1 metre = 39 inches (approx.)

(BTW, "metre" is a metric unit of measure for distance, "meter" is a measuring device, as in water meter or parking meter. Just my pet peeve, sorry )

2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #23

That's not bad advice but some states such as PA mill out the thickness they intend to place keeping the clearance the same.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Low bridges are not an issue on highways and Interstates. We have a 13' 8" high fiver. Only once in traveling the country have we had an issue. In the TX panhandle there was a well marked 13' bridge. We stopped about 1/4 mile short and watched. Noticed 18 wheelers heading straight towards it. If they can, I can I thought. Turns out just short of the bridge was a road that went around the bridge. I just followed the big guys.
Most low clearances are well marked well in advance.
Be careful in Canada as they mark their clearances in meters, not feet, and I do not understand the metric system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Conversion is quite simple. 1 meter = 3.281 feet. to be safe and quick, multiply your meters by 3.5 and you'll be more than safe.

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 4
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
Conversion is quite simple. 1 meter = 3.281 feet. to be safe and quick, multiply your meters by 3.5 and you'll be more than safe.

Sorry ITAT - I should have written METRE instead of meter. Was writing for the masses (our southern friends) I guess.

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 4
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #26
Another adventure awaits!

Multiply by 3 ... 39 inches to a metre ... So multiplying by 3 is just about right ... 4 m is just about 13 ft
Old 01-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #27

Last Summer I noticed that my buddy didn't have his fiver parked at his house, so I asked him about it.

"I'll need a few drinks in me to spill the beans"

A few nights later at the local watering hole, as he finishes his third Captain and coke, I ask if he's had enough yet to tell me the story.

"Buy me one more and you've got it"

I said "You're on", figuring that it sounds like it will be worth it.

"I peeled off the roof and the AC units going under a low overpass."

I replied "Ouch, that's gotta hurt"

He says "That ain't all"

I say "Go on"

He says "The insurance company totaled it, and paid me less than I owed on it"

I say "Double ouch"

He says "But that's not all"

I say "How so?"

He replies "If the guys at work ever hear about it, I will NEVER hear the end of it. And you will NEVER repeat this story"

(He is a professional truck driver. No names mentioned to protect his privacy and my life.)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #28

Back in the '60s I was a boy engineer participating in the design of I-10 bridge geometry through the state of Louisiana. Our federal standard then was 16', whereas 13-6 was the state highway department. Some highway departments were using 13' back in that era - and those bridges are generally still standing. As I remember the standard 60's era truck diagram, it was 13' OAH. I tow a fifth wheel with a measured height of 13'-6" and have only had problems at the 40's era RR bridges that were 12'0" and 12'6". The interstate standards were developed for moving MILITARY vehicles. That's how Eisenhower sold the Interstate system, as a route to move MILITARY vehicles should the USSR attack.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

(BTW, "metre" is a metric unit of measure for distance, "meter" is a measuring device, as in water meter or parking meter. Just my pet peeve, sorry )
can be spelled both ways in the U.S
Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post

I likely have over a hundred US engineering and science text and reference books. Have never noticed "metre" used except in the FOREIGN reference books.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel