Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Bunk Bed Modification - how to keep baby safe?

Hi Gang,
I have a trailer with a set of bunk beds and am looking for a way to make it safe for my (then 20 months old or so) son to sleep in the bottom bunk. I have considered getting the normal bed rail for the sides that you can buy from anywhere, but then there is the whole "will he climb over it" thing, and of course the foot of the bed has an opening as well that needs to be blocked and it is too small for a child's bed rail to go there (approx. 2-3 feet). I am just wondering if any parents of toddlers have done any awesome modifications or add ons to the bunks so we can maybe avoid using the playpen in the kitchen again (which just takes up soooo much room and makes it impossible to come in and out without having stealthy ninja skills!!).

I didn't know where this post should go, if there was a category or not, so I apologize if I am putting this post in the wrong place!!

Thanks all!

Tammy and Jamie
DD: 7yrs old, DS 18 months
Shep X - 9 yrs old
Seasonal Campers!
2010 Cherokee 30BH
Mrs CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
We did the pack and play up until this summer when my son just turned 2 in June. From there, we have bought one of the Walmart $30 bedrails and just use that. He's only fallen out once and that was as recent as this past December.

My plan was to basically make a crib/3-sided toddler bed that was permanently attached to the bunk. Something long the lines of this toddler bed with some modifications:
Look! DIY Toddler Bed for $20 | Apartment Therapy

It ultimately worked out that we just went the bunk rails route, but I was pretty close to assembling all of the pieces.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Carknocker Family
My daughter has been camping since birth. We just put an oversized pool noodle under the fitted sheet at the edge of the bed and she has never fell out. She is now four, going on 18 it seems. Hope that this helps.
Nights camped 2014...26
Nights camped 2015...20
Nights camped 2016...20
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 6 speed manual
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
That's sharp looking! We were thinking we might use a Walmart (or wherever) bed rail for the side, and then somehow fasten the curtain to the bottom part of the bed so it doesn't look traversable to my busy my god I hope it works! Thanks for the link, I will show my husband!
Mrs CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
We have a 15mo and will be a little older when we start the camping season, We do not mind the pack and play if it is just the 3 of use but if our teenage daughter goes or we have other family staying with us than it becomes a PITA as the bunkhouse than needs to be used for the guests and not taken up by the p and p. I am trying to figure out a way to make a safe area for my little man to sleep in using one of the bunks rather than having to haul the p and p around taking up space.
2014 Prime Time Lacrosse 329BHT Luxury Lite Touring Edition
2015 Silverado 2500HD DMAX
scayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
I started taking my godchildren camping when they were 13 mos old (twins). My solution was to simply get a pair of $12 woven cargo nets (1" square openings) at the local truck supply and span those across. The net was mounted to the bunk deck with mattress on top of it so there were no "spill-outs" and then snapped at the top with locking d-rings.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
We use a baby gate. Lock the girls into the lower bunk. It works real well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	217968_3170856490169_1263576554_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	68453  
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2013 Salem Cruise light 19bh
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Team
We started camping with the kids aged 3 and 2, at that age, I just put the dog's bed in the bunkhouse between the two bottom bunks to catch any nighttime tumbles. There was a few but a quick soothing hug to take the scare away and then tuck the kids back into bed.

When we needed to migrate the older one to the top bunk late last year, I used an existing bed rail we had from home. Between the way our wardrobe is placed, and the size of the rail, there's only a small space right at the foot of the bunk bed where he climbs up the ladder. Then he shuffles up to the top of the bed next to the wardrobe and no matter how much he might roll around he's never gotten close to the small opening. (I wish I had a picture to show you how we did it, but alas, that's one of the few I don't.)

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote

bed, cat, modifications