Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

Camping pastimes

With the dawn of 2013 camping season ahead of us. Just wondering what everybody does to pass the time while camping. For example what kind of drinking games, day activities and night activities do you guys do to pass the time. Beers by, disc golf and battle ship ( every time a ship is hit you take a drink) to name a few and start things off...
Turtle people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Team

we don't camp to play drinking games.

we camp to enjoy nature and get a break away from work and our daily routines.
we go out and explore the area, take hikes, bike rides, sightsee. at nite, we eat, sit around the campfire and tell stories and enjoy a campfire.

if i wanted to play drinking games, i can do that at home.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #3

I am looking forward to cooking up a few steak dinners on the outdoor grill, or better yet, over the campfire, while enjoying my favorite beverage, COLD BEER.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #4

We're on a seasonal site so we camp to spend time with all the friends we've made there. We also go canoeing, fish, hike, pot lucks, and explore the local area. At night we get together at somebodies site to share a fire, conversation, and drinks.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

We dry camp most of the time. If we can we bring our granddaughter with us, we do. This May our 1 year old grandson will come up for a weekend, with his parents. We don't camp for just a weekend anymore. We camp with our friends in the same area. We do enjoy a few drinks. We cut wood for the fire that usually goes pretty well all day and into the night. We very seldom cook over the open fire anymore but it's a get together place for all of us. The younger generation who come up with us older folks, usually get out on the dirt bikes, just like we used to, and enjoy the many miles of trails that are around the area. We may go for a walk but then again we may not. We've been camping up there for 34 years now. It's just great to be able to sit, lay, stand or whatever and enjoy the nature that is around us, visit with old friends and watch the real young generation walk in our footsteps.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #6

We fish, drink, cook, ride, walk, kayak, drink, hunt, sit, cook, drink, clean-up kids, play corn hole, drink, eat, fish, boat and so on!
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

recon33A, there seems to be some repetition in your post. I think you got stuck. Have a drink and get unstuck....... my niner domestic said that...
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

I think you'll find a common thread thru a lot of the answers and that is relax, take it easy, and enjoy the quiet outdoors. The DW and I enjoy just setting under the awning, reading, listening to the radio, and watching everyone else carrying on trying to set-up camp.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I think you'll find a common thread thru a lot of the answers and that is relax, take it easy, and enjoy the quiet outdoors. The DW and I enjoy just setting under the awning, reading, listening to the radio, and watching everyone else carrying on trying to set-up camp.
I LOVE TO PEOPLE watch at cg's.
Sometimes I even takes pictures!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #10

we camp to enjoy nature and get a break away from work and our daily routines.

This is why we bought our first TT, my wife love hanging around the fire watching both our dogs and " people". I love fishing, cutting wood and exploring the area ( forests / area).
We bought a TT with bunks so we could bring friends who might not go camping ( city slickers) and wanted to get them to fall in love with the idea of fresh air. And just maybe, grow our group to include fellow " turtle people"

Thanks for all your inputs, we love a nice steak cooked over a fire. Can't buy that at the Keg! May long weekend marks our first trip, 34 days and counting!! See you out there
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Site Team

I usually camp with a bunch of friends. We have several awesome chefs in the group that do a lot of cooking (I swear I gain 5 pounds every time we camp) so we tend to eat a lot, as well as all-around socializing. Since we tend to stay within about 45 minutes of the house, many other friends who don't camp, will drive over and spend the day/evening with us.

Sitting around the campfire is my favorite....but we also play a lot of card games. Sometimes, we may go off geocaching or benchmarking.

Can't wait till next weekend, as we have 8 sites reserved at our favorite campground.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
recon33A, there seems to be some repetition in your post. I think you got stuck. Have a drink and get unstuck....... my niner domestic said that...
I think there's country song that's should fit right in with the theme... " ford got stuck when the Dodge showed up"
Lol sounds like good times
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Always Learning

I guess we're a bit of the exception- our camper is our vacation house and we're more of travelers using the campground as a base for checking out the surrounding area. It's common for us to wake up slow, mosey on out anywhere from 9-noon and then be out until after dinner. Once we get home, the bottomless pit (DD) is hungry again and we have to take care of the housely duties (dishes, making bottles of formula, always seem to need to tidy up, etc). Last week we were tourists in Colonial Williamsburg. Over the summer, we spend 2-3 weeks at the beach.

On the other hand, I work from home for my job, so I often spend weekdays at the dinette working 8-10 hours. The wife may hang out, may take the kids to the pool or even do some sight-seeing.

Though, we do have weekends where we're "camping" and playing games, hanging out, going for walks, taking daughter fishing, or enjoying the campground amenities are our thing.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

I am a very early riser. My most favorite thing to do every morning is to grab a cup of coffee and head outside to listen to nature. I love hearing the birds come to life! We camp seasonal, so we have a small flower garden that I like to tend. We also have a couple of atv's so we often go out trail riding, and end the day cooking up a good meal with our camp neighbors, having a few cocktails, and sharing stories by the fire. Life is good!
jthomp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

We use our camper as if we had a Vacation Timeshare...we mostly pick trips where there is plenty to do & see outside of the campground and when back at our site in the evening it's dinner, campfire & any activity we feel like doing that night on site.
A member on this forum related their camper as a C.O.W (condo on wheels), thought that was clever and exactly how we view our camper use!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
A member on this forum related their camper as a C.O.W (condo on wheels), thought that was clever and exactly how we view our camper use!
We joke with people that RV'ers take Their house with them.. Like a turtle. And the name stuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3873167860.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	27733  
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle people View Post
We joke with people that RV'ers take Their house with them.. Like a turtle. And the name stuck
I like that. I have seen RV's also called Wheel Estate.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #18

One game I learned as a "drinking game" we have converted into a camping game.

First person starts off naming somebody famous. Next person has to think of somebody who's frist initial is the same as the previous person's last initial. Then it continues around the circle. So it could go like this:

George Washington
Will Smith
Steve Jobs

If the person has the same first and last initial, it switches direction. So for example Marilyn Monroe

If the person really only has one name like Cher, the next person just has to pick another "C."

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #19

Typically we go camping to do an activity, such as kayak or tubing.

In our "downtime", we'll do stuff we don't have the time to do at home, such as:
- play ladder ball
- play other games with the kids... Jenga, puzzles, etc.
- scavenger hunts
- read
- sit by the fire, roast marshmallows
- drink... without having to worry about driving home
- hiking

When I'm home, I take any opportunity to sleep in, as I'm not a morning person. But when camping I am usually the opposite. I relish those few moments of peace alone as I watch the sun come up.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #20
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I usually camp with a bunch of friends. We have several awesome chefs in the group that do a lot of cooking (I swear I gain 5 pounds every time we camp) so we tend to eat a lot, as well as all-around socializing. Since we tend to stay within about 45 minutes of the house, many other friends who don't camp, will drive over and spend the day/evening with us.

Sitting around the campfire is my favorite....but we also play a lot of card games. Sometimes, we may go off geocaching or benchmarking.

Can't wait till next weekend, as we have 8 sites reserved at our favorite campground.
WMTIRE,

That must be a "Louisiana Thing". That's how we do it too. As a matter of fact, we will be group camping at the Louisiana Hot Sause Festival this weekend. Cooking, Eating, Drinking and playing cards.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote