Old 12-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Congrats on the new one. The dw and I have been camping for 24 yrs now raised 2 kids on it. My first was born 4/25 and took her camping 7/4 for her first trip. Its not a problem at that age, with pack and plays or let them sleep on the bed. Our first tt had bunkbeds and it was quite easy to make a short "20 inch wall" on the bottom bunk perfect to keep the baby safe. GO and have fun the baby today /kid tomorrow will enjoy it.

Mike and Nancy
Wildcat 5er 2007 28rks
1999 ford f250 SD(retired)
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Congrats. We had an old Western Widerness truck camper when my daughter was born. We went up to the local mountains like we have for the past ten years. The pack and play and baby monitor were essentials.
When we went hiking we used the baby bjorn carrier. When she got a little older I used a back pack.
Luckily, my daughter loves the outdoors and is anything but a girly girl.
When my wife was pregnant we were still tent camping. For one year I bought a bigger tent and an air mattress with a frame so she did not have to get up off the ground. Used it all once. When my daughter was born we used the WW and had not looked back since.

Eric F.
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 233S
2012 Ford F250
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
we did it with two girls and survived, only problem is when they got bigger the two would not fit on the fold out sofa, so thats why i have a 2011 Rockwood with two bathrooms sitting next to the garage :-)

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
First time we camped with our oldest was in the mountains, Easter week-end, in the snow, in a 13 foot Carolina travel trailer. Put our 3 month old in a box, and used a pillow for a mattress. Trailer belonged to his mom and dad, and they were there, in another camper. Needless to say, HER parents weren't real thrilled over it.

By Labor Day we bought our own 24 foot 5th wheel.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
Thanks guys for all of the responses. I was out in the tt this past weekend doing some things and I am so ready to go back out camping. We only got to go twice this year because my wife hated it because she couldn't ride her bike or go for a run and she just had to sit and watch everyone else running and riding bikes (I tried to get her to fish with me but that lasted about 2 minutes haha). We're down to a few weeks now before out little girl will be here so we should be ready to camp come summer time. I'm thinking about heading north to Branson MO or Gatlinburg TN around June or July. I have been to both places several times in the past just never camped at either but I think they would be great summer places to camp with a baby just because you get some cool nights and get a break from this mississippi heat haha. I know its warm at both places that time of year but both feel cool compared to this humid heat box in Mississippi ha. The good side to living down here is it was 70F yesterday and supposed to get close to that today. It went from 18F monday morning to 70F on thursday haha got to love it.
Nights Camped 2011- 12
blake2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Must be an exciting time for you and your wife. Christmas, new baby and all. I wish you both all the best and please keep us posted on how things go. When you get a chance post a pic of the new camper if you don't mind.

I'm already getting cabin fever pretty bad and it's not officially winter yet! If we had highs in the 70's it would be hard to stay away from the campgrounds.

Good luck, wish you the best.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
Captain of Industry
Blake - if you enjoy hiking, we found one of those higher-end baby backpacks on craigslist for half the price of new. You'll find that folks buy them, use them a couple times and realize they don't need it for walking around the neighborhood. We used a pack n play for our little one (1.5 years old now). It is a little bit of a hassle, but not too big of deal.

One thing we found was that we were in the camper a lot more than we expected because it was so hot and humid outside. We just had enough movies and play doh to keep them occupied. They had a blast.
2013 Ram 2500 HEMI 3.73
2011 Puma 259RBSS fifth wheel
jdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
those baby back packs are great, once you start walking the baby just falls asleep and you will injoy a great hike, at least that was the case for our first baby

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
I started my kids to camping when they were 2 month old , and it was not in a travel trailer but with a 9 feet umbrella tent and we made it without problems even when it was raining and it was in the booney not in luxury camping. I can imagine that camping with babies in a travel trailer is a piece of cake.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Blake: Congrats Daddy O!
I am a father of 3 kids ages now 9 to 14 with my 12 year old being a multihandicap blind child. We, or they, ALL love camping. My kids have been camping since they were infants.

I am an avid hiker, backpacker and cyclist too. The best darn kid backpack is the Kelty Kid far the best frame and support. My daughter rode on my back on many many hikes with the longest being a 14 miler to Shining Rock in the Pisgah National Forest here in the NC mountains.

My disabled son Kyle was carried in a Kelty until he was 5 or so.

Some folks advocated a kid seat behind a bike... I suggest a trailer instead. They change the bikes CG and if the bike falls over for any reason while the kid is in it, moving or stationary, the kid is going down. I suggest looking a kid trailers by Trek. Also wear a helmet, you and your kid. A helmet saved my life in a mountain biking accident and being a parent of brain damaged child, a helmet can prevent brain injury in your child too. Be a good dad and lead by example.

Camping in the Smokies...if you are outdoorsy, by pass the private campgrounds and stay in Great Smoky Mountains National Park....need a campground with hot showers as the NPS ones don't have them? Try Standing Indian in the Nantahala National Forest near Franklin, NC or Davidson River in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. They all take reservations.

My daughter's first camping trip in a tent was at Seneca Rocks in the Monongahelia National Forest when she was 4 months old...

Congrats and welcome to the best part of your life....

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote