Old 12-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Camping With a Baby

Hey guys I have been away for a while because I honestly have not been able to go camping and didn't have any reason to read about camping if I couldn't go myself haha. Me and my wife bought our surveyor this year and two weeks after we bought it we found out we were expecting a little one. We have got to camp in it twice and then my wife has not felt like camping because she loves to run and ride bikes and she hasn't been able to do that with the little one inside of her so she was just misserable when we were camping. Now we are only about 6 weeks away from our little girl arriving and I was wondering how some of your experiences have been camping with a baby? We were thinking of going to missouri around july and I was just wondering how tough it will be with a six or seven month old?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #2

First off....
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We have camped with grandkids around that age. July will be hot, sunny and the bugs will be out. So make sure your AC is working properly and stay inside during the hot part of the afternoon. Check on purchasing the proper sun screen and insect repelant for a child that age and don't keep the baby exposed to the outside elements for extended time periods.

Since your wife is active, check into the baby seats for bikes that come with a sun shade. We found a light weight stroller at a garage sell that had a sun shade. Great way to get them to take their nap. It really shouldn't be a problem, just use some common sense and go out and have fun!

Our oldest grandaughter is 8 years old now and is a "girlie girl". She can't stand bugs or anything like that, but she still loves to go camping with us. Her and her sister, 7 years old, refer to the tt as "our camper". Their younger cousins, girls 3 and 5 years old, live further away but love camping with us every chance they get.

We just found out a couple of weeks ago that the younger girls will be getting a brother due April 15th. We'll probably get him broke in camping sometime next year, late summer or early fall. Looking forward to a boy after 4 girls, but I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
First off....
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We have camped with grandkids around that age. July will be hot, sunny and the bugs will be out. So make sure your AC is working properly and stay inside during the hot part of the afternoon. Check on purchasing the proper sun screen and insect repelant for a child that age and don't keep the baby exposed to the outside elements for extended time periods.

Since your wife is active, check into the baby seats for bikes that come with a sun shade. We found a light weight stroller at a garage sell that had a sun shade. Great way to get them to take their nap. It really shouldn't be a problem, just use some common sense and go out and have fun!

Our oldest grandaughter is 8 years old now and is a "girlie girl". She can't stand bugs or anything like that, but she still loves to go camping with us. Her and her sister, 7 years old, refer to the tt as "our camper". Their younger cousins, girls 3 and 5 years old, live further away but love camping with us every chance they get.

We just found out a couple of weeks ago that the younger girls will be getting a brother due April 15th. We'll probably get him broke in camping sometime next year, late summer or early fall. Looking forward to a boy after 4 girls, but I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

Good luck and happy camping!

I completely agree with grhoedes. We have gone with our grandchildren as well and their ages are about the same. We have a new grandson who will be about 6 months old and we will be going to Disney this February. Also, make sure that you keep the little one hydrated in the heat.
Enjoy.

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses. How do you normally handle sleeping for the baby? Maybe a playpen? I have the couch that folds into a bed and the table that makes into a bed but I was wondering how you guys handle sleeping arrangements for a little one?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

My sons have a 'pack and play' (sp?). It folds up to about a 1'x1'x3' rectangle which is used for sleeping.

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #6

Congrats!

We have been camping since before our first child was born back in '03...we now have 3 kids. For the little ones, we take a pack and play, set it up on the dinette (folded down of course ) and he/she sleeps there. Works great! The worst part is just taking all of the "stuff" you need to take for babies.

Enjoy though...it is trying, but fun!

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #7

CONGRATULATIONS, and X# on the Pack and Play. Our grandson sleeps in that, as well. Take a playpen for outside, and our grandson LOVES to be outside, and loves to go bike riding. We have a child carrying seat that fits on the back. You can also get a trailer, that zips up around the baby, so they cannot fall out, or get eaten up by the bugs!! Lots of extras to pack, but they are family members, too! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

We camped in Florida last year, with our daughter and her 7 mo. old son and had a great time. Take a stroller for walking and some little swimmers for the pool or lake. They really enjoy the water and the sand. He slept in a playpen which was much more compact than the ones we had and some of them double as a change table or bassinet as well. When we got there my daughter said "oh no it's wrinkle city". Within two days she changed her mind and now would go back anytime. The little guy was the hit of the campground when she and gramma would take him for a walk and she felt safe around all of the campers who were there. Whatever you do start kids camping early. We started ours at 4 and 3 mo. and never regretted it. Motels and resorts would have been too expensive for us. They both still like to camp over 30 yrs. later. By the way don't be upset if they cry a little at night as the neighbours will expect it. Most of all have fun. Old Guys
Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #9

Congrats! Our son is two now and he has been camping 6 times since he was 10 months old. Most of the trip were to Disney and he does wear us out. He sleeps in a pack and play still, for now. We don't get much sleep, up around 4:30 and wanting to go outside. All and all its worth every early morning seeing him enjoy the outdoors and camping. Go for it!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #10

When my son was a baby he slept in a play pen that we placed on the collapsed table in our trailer. It's also very handy to have a baby monitor for the times when baby is napping/sleeping in the trailer and you are outside or the door is closed to keep the smoke out. For bathing I brought a square tupperware and would fill it up with warm water and bubbles and bath him on the picnic table (I tend to use our trailer bathtub as a clothes hamper). If you can find one of those babychairs that you can clamp onto a table. We had one and it worked great clamped onto a heavy picnic table. A small blow up pool, little swimmers, hats and a stroller. You should be set. Having a baby with you should not stop you from getting out. Hey we even camped with an infant in a tent (don't recommend it). Have fun!!!!!

P.s. Keep watch of them around a firepit. Seems like it's the first thing they go for.

Giselle

Southern Alberta, CANADA
gizzys is offline   Reply With Quote