Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Camping with no destination

As my wife and I get closer to full-time retirement, we hope to begin making journeys of 2-3 weeks or longer with Point A and Point B being our home in South Carolina. Camp 2 or 3 days or more until wanderlust sets in and then look to find another interesting site. What are some resources to help find campgrounds and points of interest along the way? Thanks so much!

Golfish
2018 Rockwood A213HWESP

Golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Get the RV Parky app in the Google play store. We used it extensively when traveling down the west coast highway this summer. It's free and the commercials were not much of a hassle.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are several we use...
RV Parky
Allstays (Camp & RV)
Park Advisor
Even searching campgrounds (or any other POI) on good ol' Google Maps does a great job.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Also, you could buy an RV GPS unit (Rand McNally, Garmin, Tom Tom)...

I have two Rand McNally GPS units and they are loaded with campgrounds, plus you can download lots of POI's (Points Of Interest) into them and just look at the road in front of you to see what's there!

Been working for me!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

We use RV Park Advisor to find campgrounds https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rktime.android
We also use www.recreation.gov which finds campgrounds and other tourist areas.
Also, we go to the koa.com site and look for campgounds. They are usually located near recreation areas. If you find a campground and go to the campground information, there is a tab that shows 'attractions' in that area and we've found some interesting sites that way.
Searching Google for 'campgrounds near....' words too.
I noticed you have an interest in fishing. Corps of Engineers parks are almost always located near water and have fishing as their main draw.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We use RV Park Advisor to find campgrounds https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rktime.android
We also use www.recreation.gov which finds campgrounds and other tourist areas.
Also, we go to the koa.com site and look for campgounds. They are usually located near recreation areas. If you find a campground and go to the campground information, there is a tab that shows 'attractions' in that area and we've found some interesting sites that way.
Searching Google for 'campgrounds near....' words too.
I noticed you have an interest in fishing. Corps of Engineers parks are almost always located near water and have fishing as their main draw.
Not sure if that is fishing or golfing.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the quick responses

All of your suggestions sound great and what I was looking for. I will be investigating all over the next few days. We are planning a 3-week trial journey next summer and the following year hope to be able to hook up and go whenever and wherever possible. And it is FISHING and GOLF. I was fortunate enough to be able to combine both into a career before semi-retiring. Grandchildren and camping have now overtaken the other interests. But we usually look for lakeside campsites when possible and we’ve visited several state parks with golf courses.

Golfish
2018 A213HWESP
Golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

We also use RVparky, but we have a Good Sam (aka Camping World) printed guide book. It's handy for planning our next stop when we're camping or driving where there is no cell service.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

As for finding things to do or see, every state has a tourism department. Most put their guides online. That's a good place to start.

Start now digging through them and build up a list of places you'd like to see. You don't have to create a strict itinerary, but you can have a list handy when you head in a direction.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

I keep a mental list of interesting places to go to. I pick them up from forums, Facebook groups, and travel articles. From there, I start compiling a list of other things to do in an area.

I’ll look at a map to see what kinds of destinations are nearby. RoadTrippers.com can be helpful for finding neat places to go and things to see.

We’ll string together a bit of legs of a trip and start exploring.

Often times, we end up with future “pins” in our travel. Places we have to be by a certain date for one reason or another. Say rallies, family reunion, an event at Disney, graduation for a friend’s kid, and now this upcoming year: the Albuquqerque Balloon Fiesta again.

We’ll frame our travels around those pins. If I have to be in New Mexico by October, I’ll plan a couple month path to it.

Our goal is to keep travel days to 250 miles and stay at least a week. 2-3 is preferred since I still work fulltime. We strive to avoid back to back travel days.

Here are some more thoughts in this article:
Let’s go! Trip planning apps and websites | Learn To RV

Tags
camping