Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #1

Configuring for dry camping?

After having just learned about difficulties of reserving at premium camping destinations it was suggested that I configure for dry camping to expand opportunities. Looking for suggestions on how to do that. We do have a generator, but beyond that we should ...?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Cynthia! You don't give us much to go on.

What type trailer you have matters.
Also will you be camping in hot, muggy weather or is sleeping with open
windows an option?
Do you have kids, want to watch TV, have to use a microwave, can't live without
a blow-drier etc etc...?

Start here-- Boondocking - Forest River Forums
We actually have a forum for boondocking which is another term for dry camping.
Some folks say boondocking is all alone out by yourself and dry camping is any camping
where you don't have electric or water hookup. In this forum boondocking is all the
above.

Word up there and then come back here for specific suggestions!

That forum is fairly new and there were many discussions before it's premiere.
You can use google search. See the little box at the top of the page
that says Search? Be sure the dot is next to FRF and search
boondocking and dry camping
You will turn up many other discussions about these that are not in the
new boondocking forum.

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan
Hi Cynthia! You don't give us much to go on.

What type trailer you have matters.
Also will you be camping in hot, muggy weather or is sleeping with open
windows an option?
Do you have kids, want to watch TV, have to use a microwave, can't live without
a blow-drier etc etc...?

Start here-- Boondocking - Forest River Forums
We actually have a forum for boondocking which is another term for dry camping.
Some folks say boondocking is all alone out by yourself and dry camping is any camping
where you don't have electric or water hookup. In this forum boondocking is all the
above.

Word up there and then come back here for specific suggestions!

That forum is fairly new and there were many discussions before it's premiere.
You can use google search. See the little box at the top of the page
that says Search? Be sure the dot is next to FRF and search
boondocking and dry camping
You will turn up many other discussions about these that are not in the
new boondocking forum.
Thanks, I will do that! We have a Sunseeker and live at the Jersey Shore. Planning to take shorter "long weekend" trips to PA, MD, VA, NY.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

I see the whole boondocking forumnow! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

We are right across the river; just north of Philadelphia.
If you have any questions about how to make "off the grid" camping more enjoyable, PM me.
Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
We are right across the river; just north of Philadelphia.
If you have any questions about how to make "off the grid" camping more enjoyable, PM me.
Herk
Awww thanks Herk! Will do that after doing some research on this (and maybe doing a little camping)!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cyn61,

As KyDan said, try and narrow down the exact kind of dry camping you intend to do. Its all over the board as far as what campers consider "dry". Your shorter long weekends might not require much at all.

It all boils down to conservation of power, water, propane and tank capacity.

Power can be increased by either adding additional batteries, replenishing used amps via a generator or solar and extending your current capacity by just forgoing some of the power hungry needs in your RV (e.g., TV, heater, etc). Be aware that generator usage can vary by campground. For example, we often camp in State Parks that will not allow any generators ever. Most other CGs have set periods and there is also the noise factor.

Water can be carried with you and I recommend an additional container to allow you to hand-fill. If you intend to dry camp at a state or municipal park, there are usually wells you can use for more water. Conservation here means taking navy showers or using the CG facilities for showers.

The gray tank(s) can fill up quickly and depends on how many people you have and how much water you use. There are things you can do to extend its capacity such as dumping your dish water down the toilet. Of course, showers will quickly fill up your gray water tank, but Navy showers take care of that.

Portable containers can be bought that allow you to empty your black and gray water tanks and tow the container (they have wheels) to the dumping area, which allows you to extend your capacity without having to move. I mention this but don't think its needed for you if you only intend to have extended weekend stays.

Propane is generally not a problem until you are camping in extremely cold weather where the heat is always on.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #8

Boondocking to me is, if you want it, you have to bring it cause there isn't anything but trees, birds and nature. It's not camping in a campground at all but in the bush where if you like the spot and can get in with your rig, that's where you plunk yourself down. We've been doing that for about 34 years now. We have a 35 ft. 5er, a 4000 watt genny, 165 watts of solar panel to keep up with parasitic drain on the 2 batteries, an extra 50 gallon fresh water tank that's kept in the bed of the 1 ton LB dually. A 35 gallon blue tote for black water to go to a dump site at a local gas station that's a few miles away. You can run the genny anytime you want and not worry about other people hearing it. We do this in lower northern Michigan and in the Rocky Mountains. There are other things that we have to do this but too many to mention now. It took a lot of years to get where we are now in terms of gear to use etc. Actually we do camp in campgrounds but only when in transit from here to the west and back. We've boondocked for up to a month, most recently this past summer in the Rockies. Just a wee look at boondocking as I do it. Stay safe.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I got the impression that Cindy wanted to know how to get set up her camper for "no hook up" camping. Whether that is in the deep woods or the parking lot at Wal-mart is moot.

Any modification that limits generator run time; yet maximizes camping time is more like what she is asking.

Typically, that is more battery power; less electric use; some way to recharge your batteries quickly; some way to create 120 volt AC when the generator is not running or allowed to run; less water use and a way to deal with full holding tanks.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Plus, on the east coast, true boonies/boondocking isn't something you ind out here- not like I read out west is.