Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Where can you get that close to the beach in VA? We've stayed in VA beach, both at the KOA (gross), and the one across the street, which was wonderful, but neither was close to the beach. They did offer beach parking though if you got there at some unGodly hour of the morning.
In Virginia Beach area First Landing State Park is near / on the water with camp sites. $35-38 water/ electric before extra fees. But we can go to the Beach (Myrtle Beach) quicker than we can get to Virginia Beach. With several large campgrounds on the ocean.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #42
Site Team

At CA state parks I paid up to $75 a night for full hook ups. At a couple of local campgrounds its more like $42-45 a night.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #43

Anything north of $40- is too much. It's not a hotel room where someone else is doing the cleaning, etc. It's a place to park for a while and enjoy the surroundings. It's much cheaper to build than a hotel, too. I stayed at a park in West Texas a couple of weeks ago... Mountain View RV Park in Van Horn... for $27- for the night. It was one of the cleanest, and best maintained parks I've been in... with wifi and cable. I'll be stopping there again when out that way.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #44
Site Team

Depends on where we are and the type of cg. I've paid $8 - $65.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #45
Anacortesians

When we got our 1985 Class C, back in 2005, gas was around $1.75/gal, WA state parks were $15 (mostly FHU) and the commercial CGs ranged from $15 at KOA to $17 or more at the fancy "resorts".

We sold that old clunker after a couple of seasons - 6 mpg at sea level and 4.5 at altitude just didn't cut it. We waited a couple of years and got a newer 32' Class A. Prices just kept going up. In the 2013 season, gas was $4.50 in the small towns on the Oregon coast, SPs were $28 and we looked at one "resort" that was $100, but didn't stay. The majority of the commercial ones were $60 or more.

We finally concluded that this hobby was just too expensive. We didn't use the MH at all in the 2014 season - too much else going on. We decided to sell on consignment and it finally sold in early December for about 50% of what we paid for it four years earlier. We'd done 6000 miles in the three seasons we used it. The original owners had done 11,000 miles in 8 seasons.

We enjoyed our trips, but the cost was prohibitive.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #46

We prefer to stay in the $25.00-$35.00 range. We have stated at a couple of Jellystones, but the kids have more fun at State Parks and smaller campgrounds. As a family we enjoy the outdoors and hiking in real nature.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #47
Summer2Go

How old do you have to be for a "Golden Passport"?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsanderson View Post
How old do you have to be for a "Golden Passport"?

You have to be 62 for the senior pass to federal parks. They no longer call it the golden passport.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #49

Send a message via AIM to B and B
In Ontario if you are classified disabled with a handicap parking permit you pay half price for provincial parks. Round about way of a discount but for people with a disability it helps.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
In Ontario if you are classified disabled with a handicap parking permit you pay half price for provincial parks. Round about way of a discount but for people with a disability it helps.
Does this policy apply to US residents or only canadian?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:01 AM   #51

$90 per night? Am I reading this correctly? Is that Canadian $? What is the exchange rate?

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
Ok I have heard some people bring up cost on a topic i started on under koa. It got me wandering what do most people pay for a full hook up? Really has me wandering if I'm paying to much at tube places I go. We have one county campground a hour away but its $33 or so a night. Just wandering
Thinks
2015 solaire 267bhsk
2014 gmc 1500
15 to 18 dollars a night water/electric "some have sewer @ site" hookup state and county campgrounds in my area.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
When we got our 1985 Class C, back in 2005, gas was around $1.75/gal, WA state parks were $15 (mostly FHU) and the commercial CGs ranged from $15 at KOA to $17 or more at the fancy "resorts".

We sold that old clunker after a couple of seasons - 6 mpg at sea level and 4.5 at altitude just didn't cut it. We waited a couple of years and got a newer 32' Class A. Prices just kept going up. In the 2013 season, gas was $4.50 in the small towns on the Oregon coast, SPs were $28 and we looked at one "resort" that was $100, but didn't stay. The majority of the commercial ones were $60 or more.

We finally concluded that this hobby was just too expensive. We didn't use the MH at all in the 2014 season - too much else going on. We decided to sell on consignment and it finally sold in early December for about 50% of what we paid for it four years earlier. We'd done 6000 miles in the three seasons we used it. The original owners had done 11,000 miles in 8 seasons.

We enjoyed our trips, but the cost was prohibitive.
You are absolutely right. Camping is not about saving money, it is a lifestyle that takes a lot of cash. People just do not realize the huge cost that a TV with towing capacity is. Ask any RV salesman and they will tell you the single biggest problem to selling an RV is that customers do not have a proper TV. New trucks and SUV's capable of towing an RV cost close to $50K now.

Of course the flip side to this argument is that people just do not agree on what camping means. Some say a tent on a primitive site is camping and others will say a 30' TT is camping. Hell I feel my Pop up is not camping sometimes. Can anyone say "Glamping"? lol.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
$90 per night? Am I reading this correctly? Is that Canadian $? What is the exchange rate?
What people also need to remember is that the cost of CG's can vary immensely based on region and amenities. A like question would be to ask what people generally pay for a hotel room. I think the range would be all over the place as well.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #55

Vin your absolutely right. The area you are in makes a huge difference and demand for sites. If you are near a city in the northeast you pay a premium. If the campground has indoor and outdoor pools, large dog areas, fitness room, etc you will pay for those emenities. You have to factor in if the campground is only a home base, then the cost is high or as in our situation we need an all inclusive and pay more due to not leaving the dogs or having to drive the motorhome off site and only going to those places we can park. So. . . Someone leaving for the day and paying for places to see would spend the same as someone staying in an all inclusive and paying more.
Yes it can be expensive to travel in a motorhome, not every motorhome owner has a ton of money, just careful planning and logistics of bringing all the pets instead of kenneling for a trip. The whole family going makes the trip complete.

schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I believe we pay the most for camping in Ontario. Looking at the cost in Florida what is a decent monthly cost for a park that is geared to seniors and has a little space on your site?
Joined a gated park, Fawn Ridge @ Deer Path in Davenport, FL, maintenance fees of $436/yr for level concrete pads/patios 2 weeks in 1 week out year round for $2/night for full hook ups. Can also "buy in" the 1 week out (if space is available) for $125 and no $2/night fee. Thousand Trails has a similar plan without the "buy in" costs us $536/year with 3 wks in 1 wk out except in peak seasons and no nightly fees.

Tags
mpg