Old 11-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Cross country

Our son moved from PA to Houston TX area about a month ago. The wife and I are planning a road trip to go out and see him. Not sure when, though. I was wondering if there is any kind of planner online that would show campgrounds along the route.

beast428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
RV Parky, free app. Allows you to see what is along your route, whichever way you go. Enlarge the area as you get near where you might decide to stop. Seems to show most, if not all. Gives you the phone number and what they have to offer. We tend to just head out, then early mid-day, we have an idea how far we might go, then call ahead to reserve. Or, the times we are driving long, we start looking about an hour or 2 down the road, and start calling to see if there are any openings.

We have only Cracker Barreled it or walmarted a few times. Otherwise, we boondock more than camp grounded. For the free boondocking sites, you may have to drive off the interstates a bit.

There are many other sites, posted in another thread. Maybe search?

Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL

just decide how many miles you are going to typically drive each day, and use google maps on your computer or phone to zoom into that area and use the search term 'rv park'... you'll start to see points pop up, which you can click on to see the details, go to their website, or easily find the driving directions to when you get close. If you zoom in even more, you might even find MORE rv parks, campgrounds, or city/county parks that have camping facilities - some just parking spaces, and many with full hookups.

I always use google maps 'overview' on satellite view to see the entrances and exits and sites within a park or campground so that I'm best prepared when I arrive.

Of course, there are many free places to park for the night along the way, if you want to keep it simple - large parking lots at the large hardware stores or wally worlds are best, especially during temperate weather when you don't really need heating or cooling.

You can make reservations ahead of time, but we find that when simply traveling from point to point, over several days, we keep it simple by just making arrangements and decisions the day we are to arrive, in case our plans change, or the traffic gets slow, or we decide to stop at a point of interest along the way.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx,
100,000+mi since '14, US, Alaska, Canada, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote