Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Dometic fridge recall

Hi were new to camping and have noticed that our fridge will run fine when hook up to electric, but when we take it off, and it should switch to auto, or if i switch it to gas it dosent stay cold, and where we go dosent have electric. I was looking up the recalls with the fridge and my model number is effected, do you think once the sbh kit is installed the fridge will be okay, or could this problem do more damage? The camper is a 2007 forset river all american sport toy hauler.
Thanks for your help.
blktahoejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #2

blktahoejen,

Welcome to FRF.

Having the recall done will NOT fix your fridge problem. It has other issues. It could be a very simple, or complex fix.

Troubleshooting Gas refrigerators and gas refrigeration units

Technical
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

Our friend just had the same issue. As Mike said the recall will not fix the issue but it would be a good thing to get taken care of.

It could be several issues. For our friend it was the spark unit which causes the ignitor to spark and light the gas off.

Have someone stand outside near the fridge and smell for gas when it is turned on and not on electricity. If they smell gas then the thermocouple and gas valve should be fine but you aren't getting spark to light the gas. In this case it could be the ignitor or the spark unit which runs it. The spark unit is controlled by the main circuit board.

A spark unit runs about $80, an ignitor about $20. If you are reasonably handy with troubleshooting and fixing things then they are not hard to replace. Even the cirucuit board is just an unplug and remove issue if you need to replace that. DO NOT let someone sell you an OEM Dometic circuit board if that is what needs to be replaced. Ask for a Dinosaur Electronics board.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

fridge

Thank you for your response, we took the camper to a dealer and they said the coil in the fridge was bad. 1200.00 to replace?I dont know if it was an issue as a result of the dometic part recalled, did it do more damage. The camper is only an 2007. How long do fridges last for. I would hate to have to replace every 3 years. Thats expensive?
blktahoejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

I'm no expert on RV fridges, but that doesn't sound right. I think it is the same coil for both gas and electric. The only difference between gas and electric is the heat source. Those with more knowledge will chime in soon. As to how long do they last. I had a truck camper that was 20 years old and the fridge would freeze beer.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Not sure if this will help, but Dometic refrigerators have a three warranty. As yours is a 2007, not sure if you are covered. Here is the link for the pdf.
http://www2.dometicusa.com/pdf/referwarranty.pdf
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #7

I am someone who was not aware of the recall and the result was a fire which completely destroyed my 2004 motorhome. Fire started while I was driving. The culprit was the domestic fridge unit. Great insurance covered it and I now have switched to a surveyor trailer. Be wary of this fridge problems. They can catch fire and destroy the unit. Thant God no one was hurt, only stuff.

Edngilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #8

I've been a RV Gas Fitter for about 18 years..and when
a customer comes in with your type of complaint...the
first thing I ask them is:"When was the last time you
had the fridge burner cleaned?" If a RV fridge works
on 110 and not gas..it's most a likely dirty burner.I clean mine
26' Gray Wolf BH(2010) every year..as with past units.
Other problems could be Spark Ignitor module,Ignitor or
maybe main board. If the fridge works on 110..then the cooling unit
is NOT the problem. Hope this helps.
Budsky is offline   Reply With Quote