Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Yup. There was a young flyer on one of the quadcopter forums who put a small altimeter on his quad and flew it to 9,000 feet. With the auto return to home function on many of them, you don't even have to know where it is or which way it is going to get it back.
That kind of act is what will help kill the hobby, there is traffic at that height , there has been a few complaints from airline pilots about this.

"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #12
I don't know much about them to offer an opinion negative or positive. Are they noisey to any degree? Awhile ago some idiot got caught using one to "Peer and record" in a young ladies window. So for any sport or hobby (ie motorcycling, boating or checkers) it only takes one dummy to do something utterly foolish to ruin it for others. I know around my area they are the rave with real estate agents to use them for a showing as the buyer gets to see a birds eye view of the property.

2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Enjoy my quad but really haven't incorporated into camping. Too many trees and I don't want to see 1200.00 sink in the lake, ha. But I'll probably put it in the TT for our upcoming trip to Fall Creek Falls. Some possible photo opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
I was tempted to get one - I love using my GoPro for action vids - but I'm afraid I would get bored with it after not too long. I'd be interested in hearing from people whether they still enjoy their after using it for a while.
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #15
I've been flying RC gliders and real ones, for over 50 years. Whether I like these or not is not a problem for those that fly them, nor should it be. However, the problem is that the FAA has gotten very interested in all phases of model aviation because of a few very irresponsible people that have bought these and flown them where and when they shouldn't. That is beginning to present a problem for me and many others like me. While we have been self-regulated and self-insured for these many years through the Academy of Model Aeronautics, now the FAA wants too step in and regulate us ever further... and this is never a good thing. These quadcopters (please don't use drone as a word for these) actually require very little skill to pilot and are unfortunately being used by some not-well-intentioned folks... or at least by some that have no common sense. Enjoy your quadcopter... but please do so responsibly...

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #16

I just wish that I could afford one of those. They look like a lot of fun and could actually be quite useful.

gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote