Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 12:41 AM   #201
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The use of the word drone came about from the military which is kinda new. RC aircraft have been around for many years, I remember reading about them when I was a teenager, I'm 64 now.

According to the FAA, federal and the state bureaucrats, now everything that leaves the ground is a drone. Even the airplanes kids used to fly in a circle tethered to couple of strings on a D-shaped handle. Some of you older guys will remember them.

Yes, as crazy as it sounds, this includes paper airplanes. If it flies it's a drone.
Oh Yeah - I'm familiar with military drones. The QF-4 is one that comes to mind and probably many people don't know that the military converts actual aircraft to drones.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
We camp regularly at Shenandoah River State Park. Here is what the rules say: Drones and other aircraft: Drones, other unmanned aerial vehicles including remote control aircraft, and aircraft in general cannot be flown in state parks persuant to 4VAC5-30-400.

4VAC5-30-400. Aviation.

No person shall voluntarily bring, land or cause to descend or alight within or upon any [state] park, any airplane, remote control model aircraft, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other apparatus for aviation. "Voluntarily" in this connection shall mean anything other than a forced landing.
Statutory Authority
§ 10.1-104 of the Code of Virginia.
The link to the user friendly version of that is in post #187 in my response to Witchdoctor.

Quote:
The use of the word drone came about from the military which is kinda new. RC aircraft have been around for many years, I remember reading about them when I was a teenager, I'm 64 now.

According to the FAA, federal and the state bureaucrats, now everything that leaves the ground is a drone. Even the airplanes kids used to fly in a circle tethered to couple of strings on a D-shaped handle. Some of you older guys will remember them.

Yes, as crazy as it sounds, this includes paper airplanes. If it flies it's a drone.
Model Aircraft has always had regulations and they are different from the FAA UAS 107, Handed down from Congress as public law. The model aircraft regulations are tied into membership with organizations like the AMA. Model rocketry also has its own. I guess Congress will need to waste about 6 months of time coming up with some regulation for Jr's helium balloon?

126 STAT. 78 PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012
SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) I
N
GENERAL.
—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into
Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration
may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model
aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-
based set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds
unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,
inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis-
tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not
interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport
air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of
an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).
(b) STATUTORY
CONSTRUCTION
.—Nothing in this section shall
be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue
enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT
DEFINED
.—In this section, the term ‘‘model
aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #203
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Oh Yeah - I'm familiar with military drones. The QF-4 is one that comes to mind and probably many people don't know that the military converts actual aircraft to drones.
The ones I was referring to are actually called tethered model airplanes equipped with a .049 nitro/caster oil glow-plug engine.

I believe the first remotely operated planes were flown during ww2 carrying high explosives and enough fuel to get them to the target in Germany followed by a mother ship with the radio transmitter in it.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 AM   #204

Quote:
The ones I was referring to are actually called tethered model airplanes equipped with a .049 nitro/caster oil glow-plug engine.
Made by "Cox" and a few others.....loads of fun too.
Cox Models - Flashback

I lost my tether on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161230_044704.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	127330  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #205
Just as confused as you

Looks like someones been playing MSFS
Old 12-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #206

Quote:
Looks like someones been playing MSFS
One of the worst things that ever happened IMO was MS dropping out of the flightsim biz. At least there is a huge community online with lots of mods, payware and freeware. This one is a hoot.

FlightSim.Com - Review: MQ-1 UAV Predator by Abacus

And then this. Well worth every dime of a $200 bill.

Lockheed Martin - Prepar3D
Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #207
Just as confused as you

I don't know how good it is but isn't X-Plane still up to date?

The last simulator I bought was Realflight g3 and then Realflight g4, it is up to g7.5 now. I bought it to teach myself to fly rc helis. If anyone is interested in learning how to fly without wasting a lot of money on repairing planes and helis this is the way to go.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #208

Quote:
I don't know how good it is but isn't X-Plane still up to date?
I quit following X plane awhile ago, as I had a hard time getting it to get along nice with my multi monitors and 5040 X 1080 resolution, but it appears its up to version 11. I actually was one of the beta testers years ago on the first X plane. My name is in the credits just like a Hollywood Star. You won't find it under Havercamp however.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #209
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I quit following X plane awhile ago, as I had a hard time getting it to get along nice with my multi monitors and 5040 X 1080 resolution, but it appears its up to version 11. I actually was one of the beta testers years ago on the first X plane. My name is in the credits just like a Hollywood Star. You won't find it under Havercamp however.
But Havercamp IS a Hollywood star!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
But Havercamp IS a Hollywood star!

He was......for one movie. Sadly passed in 84.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
You do not need a pilots licence or even have to register a quadcopter for commercial use if the aircraft is under 2 kg.
I do believe you will find you need to register any drone over .55lbs.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
FAA Flight rules: Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)
Unless you have an "official observer in contact" [son-in-laws qualify]. I watched it for most of the way and my SIL started picking it up about half way till the turnaround. We chose to do it over the ocean and about 1,000 ft from the beach just to keep it away from people. We never exceeded 100 ft of altitude.
As a retired commercial pilot with a little over 13,000 hrs logged as PIC time, I don't do stupid things in the air.....except skydiving...and I've retired from that also.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Were you downloading by removing the SIM card and plugging it into your USB port on your computer? Surprised you had problem. I don't use PC's anymore but never a problem downloading from SIM to iPad or Mac...

I've had my drone for a while. P2+ so it may be behind the times as I have a SIM card or I think you can connect the drone to the computer but have never downloaded pics that way...
I finally figured out how to get what I need to download from the controller and not the data card. When I tried to download from the "U3" data card, the computer speed would not handle it. Jumps and jerks and a real mess. Not sure if I can remember exactly how I did it, but I at least know it can be done.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #214

The way drones tell altitude is that they get a GPS fix and then are able to know the elevation above mean sea level from that fix. From that point there are two ways to determine altitude. ..either from the altitude data the GPS provides and/or the copter 's built in barometer to measure air pressure.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
The way drones tell altitude is that they get a GPS fix and then are able to know the elevation above mean sea level from that fix. From that point there are two ways to determine altitude. ..either from the altitude data the GPS provides and/or the copter 's built in barometer to measure air pressure.
OK, but it seems like the drone would then need to "set" it's current altitude above MSL as "zero" (I would assume every time you turn it on). Otherwise, if you went to Denver to fly, you're already 5280 ft above MSL, so it wouldn't even take off.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #216

I have the Phantom 4 and the Phantom 4Pro. I'm pretty sure that they set the AGL at the same time they set the "Home Point" just before take off. I live at sea level and never noticed. Mine also has vertical sensors that work great for landing and low level flight.

Try www.Drone-World.com and look up the Phantom 4pro.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #217

OK, from the Quick Start Manual, it says:

"Max. Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 19685 feet (6000 meters) (Software altitude limit: 400 ft above takeoff point)."

So it's setting "zero altitude" when you take off from whatever mountain you may be on.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

"Max. Service Ceiling Above Sea Level: 19685 feet (6000 meters) (Software altitude limit: 400 ft above takeoff point)."

So it's setting "zero altitude" when you take off from whatever mountain you may be on.
As related to "Home", yes.
Want to understand what is going on with the pilot's eye view and aircraft info, go to the app store and download the DJI GO 4 app. Not sure you can do it with windows, but it's made for IPad or iPhones. It's what we control the unit with and will give you a much better idea what's going on. The app is free.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

The software altitude limit keeps you from flying above that altitude. You can go into setting and change that I think 6,000 meters, but its illegal to fly above 400 ft without a license.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I finally figured out how to get what I need to download from the controller and not the data card. When I tried to download from the "U3" data card, the computer speed would not handle it. Jumps and jerks and a real mess. Not sure if I can remember exactly how I did it, but I at least know it can be done.
When you download from the controller you are likely getting 720p video downlink that you viewed on the phone/tablet. The SD card will be at whatever resolution you set in the app, likely 1080p. The way around your computer speed issue is to take the file from the SD card and run it through the free software called Handbrake. You can then downsample the file. This is what I have to do due to my computer not being able to handle 4k or 1080. I am in the process of building another PC to just be used for 4k video editing.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote