Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #321
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
You can see i used the word assume in my post and no don't believe your post was neutral . they may have stated they shot down a drone but lots of talk on forums not a lot of truth . if they did shoot down a drone it was probably a kids toy and not a $1500.00 drone if it were i'm sure there would be much more to the story then i shot down a drone
Yes - you did use the words "assume" and also "doubt". What you didn't do,or at least you didn't say you did,was to pick up your dictionary and look up the meaning of those two works.

Because you are annoying me,I Goggled " Shooting down drones." I found several articles that specifically speak to the subject.

One was in the well respected magazine "Popular Mechanics". It is titled "How to shoot down a drone." Its by Eric Limer and written August 6,2015. It specifically gives reports of people doing just that.

Another was "Women shoot down drone: It hovered for a second and I blasted it to smithereens." Happened in Northern Virginia in June of 2016.

There were several similar articles,but I'm not going to waste anymore of my time listing them here for you.

Good bye.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Any FRF members using Drones? Looking for a ipad compatible unit for taking shots at Camps and Rally's

I use the iPad Mini or iPad Pro on either of my 2 Phantoms (P4 & P4 Pro). They seem to work a lot better than the SONY TABLET which I also have that came with my TT.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #323
RCW

There are plenty of incidents where drones were shot down.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-his-backyard/

Also several stories of pilots experiencing near misses. Want to see this hobby come to a screeching halt? Just have one bring a plane down!

Not into them myself, but I don't see a big problem with them right now.

If I had one flying around my property, making themselves obnoxious, it would most likely be shot down.

Its all about respecting others!

Like most any situation, it is the few that hurt the reputation of the many!
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I'm neutral on this topic,but I'm seeing a lot of talk about shooting a drone down,taking a drone operator to court,etc. I'm wondering how many here have either been taken to court or have taken someone to court for allegedly operating a drone contrary to any FAA regulation or state or local ordinances.

And if you want to,tell us the result of your court action,either as a defendant or plaintiff.
The problem with enforcement against a drone is one pretty much looks like another. Even in a small neighborhood it could be impossible to see who is operating it so you can take legal action against them. Contrast this to aircraft which have identification numbers that can be used to track down the operator. In this situation on decent photo will show who they are and can be used to determine if they were breaking the law or not. Personally I would prefer some type of small area jamming being made legal as drones are programmed to land if they lose contact with the controller. This would force the owner to have to retrieve the drone ore lose their money and you could have law enforcement waiting. Then again with the required drone registration making some type of identification beacon mandatory and having receivers might work to find bad actors.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I use the iPad Mini or iPad Pro on either of my 2 Phantoms (P4 & P4 Pro). They seem to work a lot better than the SONY TABLET which I also have that came with my TT.
Yep I use my galaxy note 2014 with my phantom 3 pro we have also used the wife's I pad
The down side is her iPad isn't set up for cell so the GPS doesn't work.

That will be the down side to any iPad drone is the GPS set up is only on cellular set up devices they don't have to be active
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #326

I also use my iPhone sometimes on quick hops and it doesn't have gps. That drones themselves have gps.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #327
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
There are plenty of incidents where drones were shot down.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-his-backyard/

Also several stories of pilots experiencing near misses. Want to see this hobby come to a screeching halt? Just have one bring a plane down!

Not into them myself, but I don't see a big problem with them right now.

If I had one flying around my property, making themselves obnoxious, it would most likely be shot down.

Its all about respecting others!

Like most any situation, it is the few that hurt the reputation of the many!
I'm hoping that Northstar 1960 is reading this after he posted reply #319. I believe he also threw out the arbitrary value of any drone shot down as $1500.00. This one was valued at $1800.00.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
The problem with enforcement against a drone is one pretty much looks like another. Even in a small neighborhood it could be impossible to see who is operating it so you can take legal action against them. Contrast this to aircraft which have identification numbers that can be used to track down the operator. In this situation on decent photo will show who they are and can be used to determine if they were breaking the law or not. Personally I would prefer some type of small area jamming being made legal as drones are programmed to land if they lose contact with the controller. This would force the owner to have to retrieve the drone ore lose their money and you could have law enforcement waiting. Then again with the required drone registration making some type of identification beacon mandatory and having receivers might work to find bad actors.

Both of my birds are programmed to return to home if they lose signal. I'm sure the less expensive units don't have that feature.
As far as "jammers" go, it isn't difficult to build a signal generator to transmit on the 2 gig band. Any ham radio operator can build one.
To play devil's advocate for a moment, what if someone was standing on top of a ladder that was against a tree outside your property and looking your way. Would you shoot them?
What if a drone was flying in the very same place as the guy on the ladder or up a tree? Would you shoot it down? So what is the difference? If he/it isn't within your property lines, why would anyone be concerned? Just a thought.
Also, do people know EXACTLY how high their property rights extend? The government has satellites that can read the name on the beer can in your hand and thermal imaging that can identify any living soul inside your home and they have had it for many years. Google Earth looks at you now and then, but no one seems to care. Just another thought.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #329

Quote:
Both of my birds are programmed to return to home if they lose signal. I'm sure the less expensive units don't have that feature.
As far as "jammers" go, it isn't difficult to build a signal generator to transmit on the 2 gig band. Any ham radio operator can build one.
To play devil's advocate for a moment, what if someone was standing on top of a ladder that was against a tree outside your property and looking your way. Would you shoot them?
What if a drone was flying in the very same place as the guy on the ladder or up a tree? Would you shoot it down? So what is the difference? If he/it isn't within your property lines, why would anyone be concerned? Just a thought.
Also, do people know EXACTLY how high their property rights extend? The government has satellites that can read the name on the beer can in your hand and thermal imaging that can identify any living soul inside your home and they have had it for many years. Google Earth looks at you now and then, but no one seems to care. Just another thought.
Jammers are illegal. If you are caught you will likely be the one that ends up being fined. That's why I said a legal way.

If a person was looking over my property with a ladder I would know who they were and could file a complaint with law enforcement. With a drone I don't nessecarily know who is operating it as they can be out of sight. If it isn't over my property but is doing something suspicious such as recording what is going on that is illegal without my permission. Not really much different than if it were over my property. I don't advocate shooting drones but if you look at most of the shooting incidents they are over the property of those who do the shooting not off to one side.

I have my properties blocked on Google Street View and Google Earth. To me they are one of the biggest gifts to thieves of the modern era. If they want to break into my house the last thing I want is for them to be able to case the place from the comfort and safety of their living room. I want them to have to drive through the neighborhood a few times where most of my neighbors will notice the out of place vehicle (many of my neighbors are retired law enforcement).
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #330

Quote:
Jammers are illegal. If you are caught you will likely be the one that ends up being fined. That's why I said a legal way.

If a person was looking over my property with a ladder I would know who they were and could file a complaint with law enforcement. With a drone I don't nessecarily know who is operating it as they can be out of sight. If it isn't over my property but is doing something suspicious such as recording what is going on that is illegal without my permission. Not really much different than if it were over my property. I don't advocate shooting drones but if you look at most of the shooting incidents they are over the property of those who do the shooting not off to one side.

I have my properties blocked on Google Street View and Google Earth. To me they are one of the biggest gifts to thieves of the modern era. If they want to break into my house the last thing I want is for them to be able to case the place from the comfort and safety of their living room. I want them to have to drive through the neighborhood a few times where most of my neighbors will notice the out of place vehicle (many of my neighbors are retired law enforcement).
Another drone controller could be the "Jammer" used since they would be on the same frequency, but YOUR controller would have a stronger signal since it would be closer to the drone. You would be in control, not the owner.
Many years ago, I built a small transmitter to work on the same FM frequency as the radio station that was being listened to at a place I worked. Being I am not a lover of RAP music, I just transmitted the same signal, but within a few feet of their radio which muted the radio station signal. They finally had to change stations and most people were very happy about it. The transmitter was powered by a 9 vdc battery and installed in a cardboard mail tube. They never figured it out. It was NOT a "jammer", but a perfectly legal low output radio transmitter.
Just out of curiosity, how far away must a person be away from your property and up in a tree to be "legal"? Fifty meters? One hundred meters? A quarter mile? On a hill top within sight of your property?
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #331
Who Dares, Wins

I thought I read 87 feet or something somewhere. Posted it earlier but never got a confirmation

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #332

Quote:

How would you know if the drone is recording. Just because you see it doesn't mean it's recording and doesn't mean it's recording you even if you see the camera you have no idea what's going on.
I have flown my helping to look for missing live stock and injured animals. Yes that means I have flown over others property and used the cam to scan for things. It's much faster and easier to start flying looking for the livestock then knocking on every door hoping some one is home to get permission to look for the animal on their land. Just because you see one flying doesn't mean it's up to no good
Next if the person is out of site it's one of 3 things 1 they are breaking the law 2 they have a Comercial license for the drone 3 it's law enforcement or government
Call leo and file a complaint unless it's on a GPS programed course the pilot is nearby proably less the 2 miles
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 PM   #333

Quote:
I also use my iPhone sometimes on quick hops and it doesn't have gps. That drones themselves have gps.
Read the programs and manuals many the rth features have issues if the tablet or phone isn't GPS enabled
Old 03-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I thought I read 87 feet or something somewhere. Posted it earlier but never got a confirmation
There is nothing written in stone the 83 foot info comes from a 1945 lawsuit from a chicken farmeragainst the us goverment for the noise from deck hugging aircraft causing his chickens to run into the walls and kill themselves

It's a civil matter and not a leagle one as a property owner you have to prove what ever was preventing you from using or damaging your property
Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 PM   #335
Who Dares, Wins

Not even an matter for local Leo, it's federal.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #336

If it's a nuisance local leo can and should deal with it and then the feds can add to the charges after they notify them.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #337
Who Dares, Wins

Depends, if there is not a specific law or ordinance it might not be enforced. But this is state dependent, all different.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #338

Most of my flight time is spent assisting the local CAP in locating lost boaters and kayakers in the rivers around my island. Many times, they find themselves lost in the hundreds of creeks and have no clue which way is out. They don't know to just follow the tide if going out or against it if it is rising.
I can cover literally miles of area in a very few minutes and see for a long, long way, where it would take a boat all day and still not see them unless the tide was at full flood where they can see over the marsh land.
An aircraft with pilot and spotter is expensive and very time consuming and they can't hover on station or lead them out of the maze of creeks, just report them and direct a boat to bring them out. This happens on a regular basis here.
I enjoy filming alligators laying in the marsh and schools of fish offshore which can be seen easily from around 100-200 ft. I can stand on the beach and go for several miles out to hunt for fish or disabled boaters. You would be surprised how many boaters run out of gas and don't have VHF radios. Just plain dumb!
In order to get from my home to the marshes, I have to fly over a few homes and in no way does it concern me as to what is happening on their property. No complaints so far as most folks in my neighborhood know what I am doing and I don't start filming till I get on station.