Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #161

IMPO, all the extra sensors just give you a false sense of security and they are a PIA to fly with. I disable the ones I can and depend on my ability to fly. They don't always work as they should. Learn to fly on your own. Find a wide open area and practice the controls.
I can say that all the controls and features on both my Phantoms work just as they should. These units do far more than I'm capable of using.
If push comes to shove, every bit of info to fly IFR is available on the flight controller, ie, altitude, forward speed, vertical speed, distance from home, location of home, etc. Sorry, no flight following!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #162
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have 2 Phantom 2's (one I bought, the other just showed up ) from when they were the newest things out. Love to fly them and have looked at newer ones, but for what I do (merely play) they are still great.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #163

For folks that don't care about professional photography and super long range [over 4 miles], Drone World has several Phantom models at or under $500. The extra cost will be for extra batteries [you WILL buy more], and different props, high powered charger, etc.
For what you get, that isn't very expensive. I can stay busy for days on end playing with mine. Also, they are very useful for checking out the solar panels on my roof for seagull poop and also blow leaves off the roof of my house.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #164

I totally disagree, but that's OK, life would be boring if we all agreed. I actually feel that way about DJI. I agree that they are the leaders in consumer drones but they have numerous issues also plus a pretty bad reputation as faras customer service goes. My chromas work great and in stagility mode I can hit 50 mph. Having said that, if I could only have 1 drone it would be the Inspire 2. Autel robotics looks very interesting for the price cause it uses a Sony sensor. They're all good till you crash.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have 2 Phantom 2's (one I bought, the other just showed up ) from when they were the newest things out. Love to fly them and have looked at newer ones, but for what I do (merely play) they are still great.
AquaMan Didn't you post that great overhead shot on the forum of the Nashville Rally this year? I got a phantom 3 for Xmas, I did register it with FAA. I never knew that so many members have them. Good to know Aceinspect told me about this thread. I guess there is a learning curve. Flew it 3x's first time great. Even landed within a couple of feet from where it took off from with the RTH button. 2nd time I was trimming tree branches but no damage. 3rd time my wife was looking out the second story windows watching took to up to take a picture, got to close to the house and hit it. Didn't think about the travel distance to have it stop and hover. As far as the phantom 4 with the 3 sensors that would be nice but all the You Tube I have been watching the one guy says that I was watching that it needs a rear sensor, being he found that's when it will crash with the sensors. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. Is anyone using that app by Litchi? where you can set waypoints? Seen that to but the app cost 24.95. Just wondering... PS: See if you can post some video of the Goshen Rally, would like to see them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #166
Georgia Rally Coordinator

WD even after mine landed in the creek in my back yard it still works. I thought it would die getting circuit board wet. Just dried it out good. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Is anyone using that app by Litchi? where you can set waypoints? Seen that to but the app cost 24.95. Just wondering...
I have Litchi and will hopefully be flying a waypoint mission this afternoon. I'm going to fly near Trump's National Golf Course in northern VA. Hope I don't get shot down.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I have Litchi and will hopefully be flying a waypoint mission this afternoon. I'm going to fly near Trump's National Golf Course in northern VA. Hope I don't get shot down.
Good Luck today, Please let me know how you like it, I like the reviews. I live in Southern Virginia, alot of places to fly here. Also I saw that it is bad to fly over water and wondered if that will help being I live on the John Kerr Reservoir...

Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
IMPO, all the extra sensors just give you a false sense of security and they are a PIA to fly with. I disable the ones I can and depend on my ability to fly. They don't always work as they should. Learn to fly on your own. Find a wide open area and practice the controls.
That has a lot of merit. I think the best experience I have gained is from flying the dozens of cheapos I have bought had crashed on windy days.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #170

Quote:
I can say that all the controls and features on both my Phantoms work just as they should. These units do far more than I'm capable of using.
If push comes to shove, every bit of info to fly IFR is available on the flight controller, ie, altitude, forward speed, vertical speed, distance from home, location of home, etc. Sorry, no flight following!
Agreed . though the phantom 4 pro has sensors all the way around now i do believe nothing beats knowing how to fly manual and doing so
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I totally disagree, but that's OK, life would be boring if we all agreed. I actually feel that way about DJI. I agree that they are the leaders in consumer drones but they have numerous issues also plus a pretty bad reputation as faras customer service goes. My chromas work great and in stagility mode I can hit 50 mph. Having said that, if I could only have 1 drone it would be the Inspire 2. Autel robotics looks very interesting for the price cause it uses a Sony sensor. They're all good till you crash.
I've read many horror stories about DJI customer service . guess there's no perfect match . another thing i like about the P4P is the duel operating frequency . . many nice units out there the more people get into it the more the FAA will crack down on recreational pilots .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #172
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Witch Dr., is this the pic you were referring to? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1482968165.596956.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	127275

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #173

Yes that is it great shot

Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Good Luck today, Please let me know how you like it, I like the reviews. I live in Southern Virginia, alot of places to fly here. Also I saw that it is bad to fly over water and wondered if that will help being I live on the John Kerr Reservoir...
Litchi flight didn't go well but no fault of the app. I learned (almost the hard way) that on an Android device the DJI Go app has to be killed completely or bad things happen. The waypoint mission I had planned would not load into the app or the aircraft. So I proceeded to use Litchi to just fly around the neighborhood, then same route I had done earlier with the DJI Go app. About two hundred feet away I started getting lost signal alarms intermittently. I decided to bring the drone back and it passed behind some townhouses where I could not see it. I then got a permanent lost signal alarm.

I went looking for the drone but no luck. I went home and checked my Healthy Drone flight log and it showed where the drone went down. I went to that spot and there it was, minus half of two propellers. Seems from the log that I was flying at 99 feet over a 100 foot tall tree. Checked out the drone and all is well after an IMU calibration. Lots of lessons learned today.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #175

I'm late to this discussion but wanted to join in...

I just got my Mavic today and flew it around for a bit (before my hands froze). It's very, very stable. Had a pretty good wind blowing and it was rock solid. It's almost *boring* to fly (although I haven't put it in Sport mode yet) compared to my learner drone that I bought to see if I liked this kind of thing. I'm glad I got that first so I could get the feel of non-assisted flying.

The video is freakishly good. Just, wow.

I also got my Part 107 cert last week. I'm not really sure if I'm going to do anything commercial but I wanted to get it just to have the knowledge and have it if I need it. Plus, it might help to deflect harassment about being "yet another drone pilot".

There was a comment a few pages back about not being able to fly over roads. As far as I know, that is not restricted. You can't fly over people unless they are protected by a structure or vehicle so I was under the impression that flying over roads would be okay. Am I wrong on that?

I'm looking forward to taking it camping and even if I can't fly it in the campground, I hope to be able to find other spots where I can.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #176

We are currently staying in Flagler Beach, FL on the beach. Today I flew three miles south down the beach and over the water, then back 2 miles north of our location and back home. Spent the entire rest of the day and evening trying to download the video to my windows computer. No way. It finally downloaded to the same tablet [IPad Pro] that I use to fly the P4Pro. It does not like windows computers. Great pix of the beach with lots of folks waving at it as it went by.
Kids love them, parents, not so much!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #177

Quote:
We are currently staying in Flagler Beach, FL on the beach. Today I flew three miles south down the beach and over the water, then back 2 miles north of our location and back home. Spent the entire rest of the day and evening trying to download the video to my windows computer. No way. It finally downloaded to the same tablet [IPad Pro] that I use to fly the P4Pro. It does not like windows computers. Great pix of the beach with lots of folks waving at it as it went by.
Kids love them, parents, not so much!
Were you downloading by removing the SIM card and plugging it into your USB port on your computer? Surprised you had problem. I don't use PC's anymore but never a problem downloading from SIM to iPad or Mac...

I've had my drone for a while. P2+ so it may be behind the times as I have a SIM card or I think you can connect the drone to the computer but have never downloaded pics that way...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #178
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post

I just got my Mavic today and flew it around for a bit (before my hands froze). It's very, very stable. Had a pretty good wind blowing and it was rock solid. It's almost *boring* to fly (although I haven't put it in Sport mode yet) compared to my learner drone that I bought to see if I liked this kind of thing. I'm glad I got that first so I could get the feel of non-assisted flying.

The video is freakishly good. Just, wow.

I also got my Part 107 cert last week. I'm not really sure if I'm going to do anything commercial but I wanted to get it just to have the knowledge and have it if I need it. Plus, it might help to deflect harassment about being "yet another drone pilot".

There was a comment a few pages back about not being able to fly over roads. As far as I know, that is not restricted. You can't fly over people unless they are protected by a structure or vehicle so I was under the impression that flying over roads would be okay. Am I wrong on that?

I'm looking forward to taking it camping and even if I can't fly it in the campground, I hope to be able to find other spots where I can.
The FAA regulations only tell what you can not do. They usually start out with wording such as "... no person may..." if there is a Part 107 regulation that states " no person may fly over a road " or something similar,then you can not fly over roads. In order for the FAA to bring enforcement action,they have to cite the specific rule they allege was not complied with.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #179
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post

That probably came from me. Before the FAA rules came out I was flying at a town hall building which had a soybean field behind it and came up along side kind of L shaped. I was flying over the field and up over the state highway and back. Someone saw the plane cross the road and called the sheriffs department. Needless to say the deputy showed up and told me I had been reported. I showed him the written permission from the town board and the id tag inside the plane. The deputy told me that it was ok but to watch out that I did not fly over the highway to prevent any further complaints. When this had happened all you needed was a slip of paper with your name, address and phone # in the planes radio compartment.

With the way some people are touchy about someone might be doing something illegal, it is most likely a good idea not to fly over public roads.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Witch Dr., is this the pic you were referring to? Attachment 127275

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
That is an awesome shot.......and looks like an awesome place too.

Last year the PA DCNR banned all drones from the PA state parks other than designated areas in about half a dozen parks. I guess my days of campground aerial photography are over.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote