Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Exploring a new campground.

Now that we have the TT we want to go to different campgrounds in the area. We are not afraid of going to a dud of a campground, what we are afraid of is reserving a site that is unusable. When we had the PU there were very few sites we couldn't use (but more then a few we didn't want to use) but at the campground we normally go to there are sites that I don't think I could get the TT in there are close to level. With Reserve America it is much easier now to get a specific spot but little information on the spot itself. Of course once we go to a campground we make a list of good spots, but we can't do that before.

I remember (at least I think I do) a few years ago looking somewhere for camping sites and they actually had pictures of the sites. Are there any tools on the web that give that kind of specific recommendations like that?

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

I like campsitephotos.com to view campsites. You will need to set the filters for your state. I find it helpful for the campgrounds it does include.

Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I like campsitephotos.com to view campsites. You will need to set the filters for your state. I find it helpful for the campgrounds it does include.

X2 on Campsitephotos.com. I also like to use Google Earth.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

Also try Bing Maps, birdseye view.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #5

Yeah, ReserveAmerica for our Ohio State Parks . . . SUCK! You used to be able to get an entire description of each and every site. Overall length and width, pad length and width, slide-outs (and which side), slope, etc The state park site allowed you to use the interactive map or the full description feature. Now we're stuck with ReserveAmerica. I hated using it years ago for booking PA, now I have to use it for Ohio. :-(
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #6

Google Earth and a map oif the campground has worked for me so far but I haven't camped that many times yet.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
txkreddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchina3 View Post
Now that we have the TT we want to go to different campgrounds in the area. We are not afraid of going to a dud of a campground, what we are afraid of is reserving a site that is unusable. When we had the PU there were very few sites we couldn't use (but more then a few we didn't want to use) but at the campground we normally go to there are sites that I don't think I could get the TT in there are close to level. With Reserve America it is much easier now to get a specific spot but little information on the spot itself. Of course once we go to a campground we make a list of good spots, but we can't do that before.

I remember (at least I think I do) a few years ago looking somewhere for camping sites and they actually had pictures of the sites. Are there any tools on the web that give that kind of specific recommendations like that?
We too are newbies to TT camping, and don't venture far from home for the time being. We take a weekend drive to whatever campground we are considering, and drive through looking at all the sites. So far we have been to OK, TX, MO, and AR. We've found some great sites, and some real "challenging" ones. Google Earth is a good tool, but nothing beats on-site inspection. Campsitephotos.com looks like a great resource, but it's useless for our neck of the woods. On occasion we have called the number of the campground (COE camp host) and received good information. Good luck on your TT camping, we love it, and you will too
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

We never do, buy, or go anywhere without checking reviews. Trip Advisor, Travelocity and the ones above.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

PA state parks switched to reserveamerica this year. At first it was bad. They recently added pictures and more information about each site. I find it easy to find compatible spots for me in PA State Parks. Google Earth is ok unless there are trees blocking the view. That happens a lot when I use Google Earth.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
Yeah, ReserveAmerica for our Ohio State Parks . . . SUCK! You used to be able to get an entire description of each and every site. Overall length and width, pad length and width, slide-outs (and which side), slope, etc The state park site allowed you to use the interactive map or the full description feature. Now we're stuck with ReserveAmerica. I hated using it years ago for booking PA, now I have to use it for Ohio. :-(
I couldn't agree more, It was much easier using the old system, but just like everything else, when you get used to it and it works then someone decides to change it.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, It was much easier using the old system, but just like everything else, when you get used to it and it works then someone decides to change it.
It's just like where I work: The IT people don't work for those of us with our fingers on the keyboards. They work for some VP somewhere who's only worried about his budget. He's not really concerned with providing proper programs that make it easy for us users. He's only concerned that the programs are cheap and easy for his guys to maintain. Making life easy for 20 or 30 people trumps making life easy for >20,000 (in my company); makes no sense, but that's how it is.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #12

Helpful Web Site for Campground Ratings

We have found that Campedthere.com is a very helpful and accurate site to check out unfamiliar places. Very honest reviews.
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

How does it work?

I chose my state (MA) and five or six private campgrounds came up. I clicked on one (normandy farms) and it brought me to a new page that had some info but no pictures. Is it just a yellowpages type web site where you can go and find the CG website and address?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #14

Rates Campgrounds By People Who Have Stayed There

I just ran across this site a year or so ago. I use it to look up campgrounds that I have no information on and see what comments people might have about it. Most of the listings I have used have direct links to the campground itself so I'm not sure in your case where the link "sent" you.
I find the camper's comments to be VERY accurate.
I just find it a very useful tool to verify places I don't know. Not sure how the site makes it's money but I personally like it.
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:03 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We feel the same way....reluctant to make reservations without either a recommendation from a friend or being able to see relatively new videos/pictures of the place.

We like campgroundreviews.com and have been surprised by the number of videos on youtube. (Campsitephotos had a video on youtube of EVERY spot at St Vrain's state park which is where we just went...a great park that we'll definitely visit again.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:43 AM   #16
fmc

X2
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

Check out the Good Sam website, under Plan ?A Trip, find Campground. Campgrounds rated by three different criteria. You can also sort by amenities you are looking for , such as, Wi-fi, , Big rigs, etc.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg