Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #1

Family Floor Plan dilemma

We're planning a year trip, my wife, I and our then to be seven year old son.

We're looking at two fifthwheels, one, the Wildcat 334BH has a bathroom and a half and a large bunk room in the rear, but not much of a living room. We would probably remove the couch in that bunkroom and put a desk there for home schooling (and maybe some of my work?).

The other, a Sandpiper 371REBH has a small bunkroom toward the front and only one bathroom and the rear functions as a more genuine living room with lots of light.

Here's my concern or question. Would it be better to have a large second bedroom that either my boy or one of us could retreat to for privacy or have a nice airy living room with just a small bedroom for my boy that he probably wouldn't do much in other than sleep?

Thoughts? Advice? I know this is very individual, but I'd still like to hear what you think.
OnSabbatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #2

You are right it's individual and being full time for a year may look at it differently. We moved up from a rear living to a bunkhouse. We have two small little ones now and the last one on it's way due in August.

The downside we had when looking at a family thing was bathrooms and then the master bedroom being a little small and tight compared to what we had before.

I know it's a sales pitch line, but it held true for us. The salesperson explained the majority of your camping is outside or in the living area. Typically your bedroom is going to be for sleeping only so you don't need a ton of room to run around.

That held true for us and the smaller bedroom for us doesn't make a difference. The kids still have their bunkroom though for them in the back.

I don't know what you have for a tow vehicle and/or your budget but, from what I understand Sabre and Coachmen (Chapparal Line) have come out with a midfloor plan bunkhouse and there are some threads on it. You get the advantage of a rear living room but, still have a bunkhouse with a slide out in the middle of the camper.

That might be an option and I'm sure someone will respond with the link to one of them. I know it has been discussed.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

My vote would be for the Sandpiper. I like the open living with kitchen area. Traveling with a 7 year old, the bedroom should be more than big enough. Looking at the area in there, you might even be able to manufacture a wooden table that could flip up and convert into a desk for him when he does his studies.

Good call with the laundry hookups also.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Having been in a few of these 5th Wheels lately(my inlaws are shopping for one), I'd think I'd go with the more open living and the smaller bedroom. If your 7yo is like my 9 & 6yo, then they hang out on their kindles/ipads on a couch in the living room and I have to shoo them out to their room. The smaller room will give him his own space when either of you want him to have it while having more open feeling in the living area for everyone.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

I can't help you with your camper selection but I will offer some advice. Your trip sounds awesome. Treasure every minute as they don't come back around. My son is now 25 and lives on the other side of the country. Good luck with your selection and enjoy!
1beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

Only 2 things you do in the bedroom, sleep and make more kids. I love having the larger living space, however the reality is we spend most of the time outside. But, It's nice to have the space when company comes over and/or its crappy out.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
You are right it's individual and being full time for a year may look at it differently. We moved up from a rear living to a bunkhouse. We have two small little ones now and the last one on it's way due in August.

The downside we had when looking at a family thing was bathrooms and then the master bedroom being a little small and tight compared to what we had before.

I know it's a sales pitch line, but it held true for us. The salesperson explained the majority of your camping is outside or in the living area. Typically your bedroom is going to be for sleeping only so you don't need a ton of room to run around.

That held true for us and the smaller bedroom for us doesn't make a difference. The kids still have their bunkroom though for them in the back.

I don't know what you have for a tow vehicle and/or your budget but, from what I understand Sabre and Coachmen (Chapparal Line) have come out with a midfloor plan bunkhouse and there are some threads on it. You get the advantage of a rear living room but, still have a bunkhouse with a slide out in the middle of the camper.

That might be an option and I'm sure someone will respond with the link to one of them. I know it has been discussed.

We looked at the Chapparrel last year when we were in Goshen. As much as I liked the concept, the reality was the mid-point bunkhouse didn't provide the kids their own space. There was basically just enough room for the ladder to get up on the bunk. No way they could have out some toys or whatnot.

The floorplans of some of the other mid-point bunkhouses seems to address that, but I'm still waiting to actually see one in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
We looked at the Chapparrel last year when we were in Goshen. As much as I liked the concept, the reality was the mid-point bunkhouse didn't provide the kids their own space. There was basically just enough room for the ladder to get up on the bunk. No way they could have out some toys or whatnot.

The floorplans of some of the other mid-point bunkhouses seems to address that, but I'm still waiting to actually see one in person.

We toured the Coachmen/Brookstone 395RL at a dealer and found the bunkhouse to be pretty decently sized. The loft above it was really neat.

When the sofa bed was made up as a bed, there was literally no room in the bunkhouse. In fact, the bed hit the dresser before it could be fully unfolded open! When closed as a sofa, there was room to play on the floor.

What was really lacking and it would be a problem for us- is storage space especially for hanging clothes. But we're a little "special" in that I need room for 4 adults and 2 kids more often than not.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Sounds like a great experience for your family. My thought would be to picture what it would be like if raining for a week and you are all stuck inside, which one would you be more comfortable in. Have fun !
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We toured the Coachmen/Brookstone 395RL at a dealer and found the bunkhouse to be pretty decently sized. The loft above it was really neat.

When the sofa bed was made up as a bed, there was literally no room in the bunkhouse. In fact, the bed hit the dresser before it could be fully unfolded open! When closed as a sofa, there was room to play on the floor.

What was really lacking and it would be a problem for us- is storage space especially for hanging clothes. But we're a little "special" in that I need room for 4 adults and 2 kids more often than not.

Based on the floorplan, that looks like a much better option than the 360 IBL we saw. Great, now we have yet another model to go drool over next Goshen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

I would always go for the bigger living area. There are some loft models out there that may be another option for you in which you don't have to give up living space. Sounds like an unbelievable opportunity for you and your family. Good luck!
Charndog is offline   Reply With Quote