Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Talking First Time with Full Hook Up

Wasn't sure how this all worked, Just got a Cruise Lite 261BHXL this year, traded up from a pop up. This would be our Fifth trip, (love Oct camping) so as I pulled into camp I do the norm and fill my water tank. half way I thought to my self why am I doing this I have full hook up. Get back in truck and wife says "that was quick". I said "I got this". get to the site and got all set up, power plugged in and turned pump on to empty water tank. with three kids I didn't think it would take long to empty a half tank. so next day fresh tank was pretty much empty, gray take 1/4 full and black was 1/2 full. so I hooked up hose to water so as I wouldn't run out of water. all three kids took showers after long hikes. had to tech them how to take a shower in a trailer. not like home. oldest kid could fill up three grey tanks with his showers. so after that and them using the potty more. it was time to hook up. I must say its great to have all that right there. So that night I heard a motor running at first I thought it might be a fan for control box. but the more I heard it the more it bothered me because I didn't hear it like that on the other trips. My wife said she heard something not normal. so I had to get up and figure it out before she did. come to find out pump was still on for holding tank. yep forgot to turn pump off when I hooked up to water. Live and learn, I just hope I didn't burn it up. The good thing about this is I will now seek out full hook up sites. one more planned for end of month then she goes to sleep for the winter.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

Just remember to only open black tank when you want to dump so you don't get a paper blockage. I prefer full hook ups, that's why i bought my rig no more nasty campground showers
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

You can leave your grey tank drain open all the time just be sure and close it and let it get some level in it for your final hose rinse before dumping the black tank and at the end of your stay at the camp site.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #4

If you are have full hookup then you don't use the water pump. No need to put water in the FW tank. You don't fill the FW tank and then use it for showers and toilet, no need. You should be hooked up to the campsite water supply and that is all you use. Look for the "city water" port on the side of the TT (normally on the street side of the RV) and that is where you hook up your hose not the FW fill. The only time you would put any water in the FW tank is if you wanted to be able to flush the toilet when traveling or if you were boondocking. Don't empty the black water tank until it is at least 2/3 full. The same goes for the grey water tank, dump when it is at least 2/3 full. When you dump the tanks you dump the black water first then when you feel it is empty then you dump the grey water tank, mainly to make sure you have cleared the hose of any residue from the black water tank. Normally the grey water tank will be filled before the black water tank, it may fill two or three times before you need to dump the black water, but always follow up a black water dump with a grey water dump. I do not leave any tank valve open when camped, that prevents any sewer gases or critters that frequent the sewers from getting in. If you will be winterizing be sure to open the drain on the FW tank under the TT. If it will be the last camping trip before winterizing I open that drain when I prep to leave the campsite so the tank will be empty when I get home.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

I doubt if you hurt that water pump. Most the time if your hooked to city water and have your pump working it will fill your F/W tank and then your overflow should takecare of that. Those pumps are pretty durable. That's probably why it couldn't build pressure and shut off.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I doubt if you hurt that water pump. Most the time if your hooked to city water and have your pump working it will fill your F/W tank and then your overflow should takecare of that. Those pumps are pretty durable. That's probably why it couldn't build pressure and shut off.
That was my thought as well. I have learned a lot from this forum. I have learned how to empty the tanks before I got the TT. so I was ready when I did. as for full hook up goes, IMO I just left close until I needed to drain. Than I shut again until I needed to drain again. I filled the FW tank by habit really than realized I had full hook up, than when I hooked up to city water side forgot to turn off pump. just things you learn as you go.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

Aren't full hookups great!
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #8

Just make sure of the water pressure I have a reducer just in case the pressure is to high .Don,t want to blow open any lines.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman6674 View Post
Just remember to only open black tank when you want to dump so you don't get a paper blockage. I prefer full hook ups, that's why i bought my rig no more nasty campground showers
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy View Post
You can leave your grey tank drain open all the time just be sure and close it and let it get some level in it for your final hose rinse before dumping the black tank and at the end of your stay at the camp site.
I would NOT advise that they or anyone leave the Gray Valve Open! There are many times in State/Fed CG that it is E/W Only,so it is best to LEARN Gray Water Management while you are even on a FHU site! It sure isnt Nice/easy to Dispose of Gray Water after you are All Set Up! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

I always keep water in the fresh tank, even when using a FHU site. There's nothing worse than using the toilet then discovering that the campground shut off the water because there's a leak somewhere and it'll be 4-6 hours until it's back on.

One piece of equipment I have is an electronic water hardness tester. When the water is above tap water hardness levels, I don't refill the fresh tank but wait until I get to a campground with better water. There's a a few campgrounds I regularly stay at that have very hard well water. If it's just an overnight stay there, I don't hook up the water at all and just use what's in the tank. Hard water is fine for flushing out the black tank when dumping but can be an issue for a Suburban hot water heater, causing rapid disintegration of the anode rod.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time