Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #21

Meals in RV

"What is the fanciest or most ambitious meal you've ever prepared while on the road and how did you overcome the limitations of the typical RV "kitchen"?"

Every year we travel from NC to Lakeland Florida for Thanksgiving. I cook a full meal for 14 people (sit down, buffet). Deep fried turkey, stuffing balls, butter beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, giblet gravy, small ham, pea salad, homemade buttermilk biscuits, pecan and pumpkin pie. This is all possible using counter top toaster oven, bella buffet crock pots, 2 electric pans, turkey fryer and rv stove and oven. It is a lot of work but I love doing it.
Yes we all sit down to eat in the camper. We use a 6 foot folding table at the couch (7 people) with folding camp chairs, 4 at the camper's table, 2 in the recliners with tv tables, and finally one at the flip up counter extension. It's a tight fit but everyone has elbow room and nothing wrong with family being close So anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #22

Tuna casserole

The American Diabetes Association has a recipe for a tuna c casserole. It uses about 4 bowls and a large frying pan (I sub our elec wok). I half the recipe so I can use a casserole dish that will fit in the oven. It is definitively an exercise in elegant kitchen moves. This is a rain day recipe. When it's nice enough to cook outside tuna steaks and roast peppers with some microwave quinoa is great.
mbuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #23

Chicken cordon bleu, baby potatoes cut thin and fanned with thin onion slices all drizzled with evoo and wrapped in foil then slow roasted on the BBQ. Chocolate cake in the slow cooker (but it starts from a mix). Sweet and sour meatballs in the crock pot. Full Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings but I did make the pies at home. Cheating I know but I bake bread and buns all the time using frozen bread dough.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #24

I also love to cook. I set up an outdoor kitchen in a screened room. I'll try to post pictures. I have made herbed chicken in wine, scalloped potatoes, broccoli souffle' as well as yeast rolls. I cook in cast iron Dutch ovens and on a three burner propane stove. It's wonderful to surprise people who are expecting beans and weenies at a campsite!
Yalahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #25

Oh we enjoy breakfast of eggs of all types to order, meat market ordered extra thick sliced smoked bacon with grease used from bacon to fry up home fries smothered in garlic cheese.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #26
Lynnwood

I love to cook in our rv. We grill a lot. And we have a large steamer that fits an outside propane cooker. We do clam baked and shrimp boils. Grill veggies and kebobs. Love the local fresh seafood and produce.
Lynnwood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #27

Bananas Foster is easy, but looks hard, very delicious dessert. If you practice some, it's makes a great dinner ending show at camp site.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Site Team

Chicken and sausage gumbo. Several times. Lots of steps, ingredients and time. But always good on a cold night.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #29

This weekend will be bacon wrapped filets, marinated shrimp and rice pilaf all cooked over the fire/charcoal. We also like the thin slices potatoes with onion and oil wrapped in foil and cooked over the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2010 Ford Escape
loumichelle735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Bananas Foster is easy, but looks hard, very delicious dessert. If you practice some, it's makes a great dinner ending show at camp site.
I once tried making Bananas Foster while camping.....ONCE!!!!

In all seriousness, that is one of my faves, especially with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #31

It's great to see there are others who still practice the fine culinary arts. My DW's hobby is cooking. She brings wheat, grinds it into flour and bakes homemade bread in the camper about every other day. We eat like royalty on the road.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #32

FRF CHALLENGE! The fanciest thing you've ever cooked..

Ok. I just ate fried pork loin chops, homemade onion ring, and green beans. Package rolls were old and this looks good.

I have no trailer, but dreaming of one.

Not camping but bragging. I used to cook for work and Church a lot. I typically smoked 20-25 briskets or flats, 10-12 gals of baked beans, 12-15 lbs smoked sausage, hot dogs(you would be surprised how many people choose hot dogs) and about 6 gals of potato salad. Then slice and serve all that. Before it is over the smell makes you sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
It's great to see there are others who still practice the fine culinary arts. My DW's hobby is cooking. She brings wheat, grinds it into flour and bakes homemade bread in the camper about every other day. We eat like royalty on the road.
I would love to try that.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #34

Beer Can Chicken, Roasted chicken stuffed with lemon and fresh rosemary, Roast beef sandwiches (marinaded for 24 hrs then indirect grilling for a bunch of hrs., sliced thin on a fresh Kimmelweck roll with onion and fresh & strong horseradish sauce) and Teriyaki flank steak (marinated for 6hrs) ... all on our Weber Q200 grill.

I just got a CanCooker from Cabela's a couple of weeks ago and it's been a wonderful tool to add to cooking arsenal. We've done several different types of chicken and sausage dishes with many more recipes to try!

Whether I cook for just my family or for a crowd, the best sounds that I can hear are mmm, ohhh and silence as it's being gobbled up.

Good times, good food and good friends ... it doesn't get any better!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #35

We travel with a Traeger Tailgater - so bring it - what do you want? Wood Fired Pizza? Smoked Prime Rib? Grilled Lobster? Or maybe the always popular ABTs?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #36

My most fancy dish that I have made a few times is Cornish game hens with apricot glaze served over rice. I do the game hens in a Dutch oven over the fire. For desert, peach upside down cake again done in Dutch oven
NavigatorC130A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #37

We celebrated the 4th of July with some grilled lobster tails. I take my Weber kettle grill when we camp, cook everything from bacon and eggs for breakfast, to steaks and dessert for dinner on it.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #38

I have really enjoyed this thread! I have gained many new ideas for cooking at our campsite. Is there a social group dedicated to campsite cooking? All I could find was a few threads and they were mostly about BBQ. I would love to follow a cooking social group if one exists? Please let me know and thanks!
Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #39

Which Weber grill do you have? I have been looking at the "Go Anywhere" charcoal grill.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #40

I have the Weber Q200 (it's 11 to 13 yrs old) and we love it and I've only had to replace the regulator and burner tube in that time. I don't cover it while camping either. My only issue with the Q series grills ... they're heavy. But they certainly work well.

Tags
fan