Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #1

Friendly neighbors

Just wanted to pass along a quick story/anecdote from a recent trip. I'm very new to this after spending much of my life with a backpack/tent for my camping experience. Only have owned our trailer for a month.

We went to an RV park for the weekend last week for the first time, and chose to come in on a Friday night. Dusk comes early these days and by the time we arrived it was pitch black. We were having a hard enough time finding our way around a dark campground and had to make several attempts at approaching our pull through site from the correct direction. I felt like an @$$ rolling around for 20 minutes, especially with the seasonal sites directly on the other side of the path from my short term.

A friendly guy by the name of Doug came out with a flashlight and jumped in the passenger seat to show me how to get into the site, helped me clear a tree on the site, and invited me over for coffee the next morning and a BBQ that evening. Met a bunch of really, really nice people who were just friendly for no other reason than the fact that we were willing to chat and hang out. I can really see now why people get into this and it almost seems like a brother/sisterhood among those who RV. Also had plenty of other visits with some short-term campers in neighboring sites.

So this is a tribute and a thank you to all of you who show hospitality and kindness to those of us who might not know what the heck we're doing. Thanks!

Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing your positive experience.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #3

Great story. It usually only takes a wave and a "how ya doin" to get a party started.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

And there's usually someone around willing to help show you the ropes when backing in.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #5

Nice we did not get a barbeque invite but did pull into a CG after dark this time of year last year. A fellow gave us directions to go around the block and come in from the other direction to make backing in easy and helped us. I can back a trailer up and aim for a dime but at might you just look out into the black.

But as far as being friendly I try to be but never know when you are being friendly and when you are intruder. People these days are all over the map. What appears friendly to some appear like an invasion of privacy to others.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #6

I am still grateful for the man who helped me back in at Indiana Dunes. He wound up steering through my window while I sat in the driver's seat!

We've overall met quite friendly folks this past month on the road, especially since we were newbies when we started out.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #7

Thats why I love texas.....a lil trouble and 2-3 people show up to help with smiles, lights, and beers. ....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

In my first year of camping, I have met a lot of very nice people. A few of us still stay in touch!
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

I am very happy that you received such a good welcome and thanks for posting your experience.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #10

The friendliness of complete strangers (especially in the USofA) continues to amaze me, given they way the world seems to be heading.

Last year while camping at Conconully State Park the A/C fan stopped working on my XTerra. I was buried under the dash trying to figure it out when a fellow camper strolled by to help. Turns out he is an auto tech. and figured out what was wrong and got our A/C fan working again.
This past summer while spending 2 weeks at South Beach State Park a couple pulled in beside us with a fairly well set up fishing rig. One one trip back from the bay, the guy came over and asked if we liked crab. He then proceeded to go back to his boat and bring over two huge live crab for us. When I mentioned that we didn't have a pot large enough to cook them, he went back and returned with a pot too.

How can you beat that? As someone else mentioned here on this forum, how many friends have you made wandering the halls of a hotel? If it weren't for camping or riding the motorbikes we probably wouldn't have any friends...Ha!
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

I haven't been out yet that I didn't meet some friendly people.... even in Oklahoma! Seriously, this lifestyle seems to bring out the best in folks... even... ME!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
The friendliness of complete strangers (especially in the USofA) continues to amaze me, given they way the world seems to be heading.

Last year while camping at Conconully State Park the A/C fan stopped working on my XTerra. I was buried under the dash trying to figure it out when a fellow camper strolled by to help. Turns out he is an auto tech. and figured out what was wrong and got our A/C fan working again.
This past summer while spending 2 weeks at South Beach State Park a couple pulled in beside us with a fairly well set up fishing rig. One one trip back from the bay, the guy came over and asked if we liked crab. He then proceeded to go back to his boat and bring over two huge live crab for us. When I mentioned that we didn't have a pot large enough to cook them, he went back and returned with a pot too.

How can you beat that? As someone else mentioned here on this forum, how many friends have you made wandering the halls of a hotel? If it weren't for camping or riding the motorbikes we probably wouldn't have any friends...Ha!
Camping mostly close to home in Western NY I have met plenty of our neighbors to our north. Me and DW received our Prince Edward Islands guide in the mail today. Next July we plan on doing a 2 week Canadian tour through Ottawa to Prince Edwards Is. I cannot wait for winter to be over!! And I love my Labattes Blue!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #13

Scootdawg
What campgrounds have you been to so far. Hoping to still do one more yet this year. We like the state park's.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Scootdawg
What campgrounds have you been to so far. Hoping to still do one more yet this year. We like the state park's.
After spending time in state parks, my wife likes the life of full hook ups. Its something that I wish NYS would migrate to. We basically stay at KOA parks. We fell in love with Chataqua (forgive the spelling). Most of NY is closed for the season now. Good old Penn St is still open though. Watkins Glenn Rocks also,