Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

Full Time Travel Nursing

As a Med Tech nearing retirement, I have also investigated the possibility of a travel job in the laboratory field. There are a number of companies that supply locum tenins physicians, nurses as well as X-ray, Lab, ultrasound, PT, Pharmacy, etc. All companies that I have contacted are willing to pay a set amount for housing and per diem expense. Assignments vary from a few weeks to a few months, which gives a person time to explore the area, and every company will allow you to choose which assignments appeal to your specialty and interests. As a laboratory generalist, I can appreciate your interest.

Brenda M. MT(ASCP) (on DH's account)

TST 507 Tire Monitors
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Brenda, I had no idea that your specialty could get travel contracts. Cool! I hope you get to try it out!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #13

My wife does the travel nursing she is a RN and is currently in VA in our 5er, when she is not working I use it for my travel job starting power plants.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Molly the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #14

My wife is a physical therapist and she is looking into travel options. Doing it out of an RV seems to be the best idea due to cost of living and not having to move your stuff from house to house every 3 months. At least that is our take on it.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #15

My best friend just retired from 40+ years of nursing. She was a travel RN from 2001-2016. Shop around with the companies. They aren't all the same and some will get you a better hourly rate than others. I never did understand the entire breakdown of the wages but if you live in your RV and don't take the housing the company offers, you can make more money. Also, if it is a crappy contract, you can cancel and you aren't on the hook for the 13 weeks of company housing. You just get in your RV and go to the next contract.

Check out this page The Gypsy Nurse I know this is more geared to Nursing but should have good info for other specialties as well.

There is travel conference every September in Las Vegas. Most of the recruiters and travel companies attend and she said there were always good sessions including travel-nursing in an RV.

Good luck!
Laura
Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #16

Wow, Laura, thank you for that information! I had no idea about the conference. I'm going to look into it!! I also wondered about the housing...
Old 09-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #17

The campground I'm staying in at St. Louis for work, there are 3 travel nurses staying there.
The reason I know this is a guy I work with who stays at the same campground has been chasing 2 of them.
I know about the 3rd one because she was walking her dog while I was outside and stopped to talk to me since she stays in a windjammer that looks like mine except she has an extra slide.

The campground I stay in is like Peyton Place, I swear.
KingFisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #18

Not a traveling nurse but I spent several years as a traveling consultant. I just couldn't make the numbers work. Most long-term campgrounds are in the $60-80/day ballpark. That's $1800-$2400/month to spend on lodging. Furnished apartments were usually much cheaper. Even if you discounted the depreciation on the RV/camper, it was a no-brainer.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #19

Cost of RV parks

When you take a contract you stay in a park for 3 months. They give you a monthly rate. The highest we have paid is $700 a month in Massachusetts (plus electric) and lowest $250 in Nebraska (electric included).
Old 10-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyT330 View Post
When you take a contract you stay in a park for 3 months. They give you a monthly rate. The highest we have paid is $700 a month in Massachusetts (plus electric) and lowest $250 in Nebraska (electric included).
Interesting. I never had a park offer that kind of discount.

Tags
travel