Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Fulltimers Question

I am still a few years away from retiring. The DW and I are planning to RV full-time for a few years when we do retire.

So the burning question we have for full-timer's (I guess it could be a poll). Did your sell you house when you went full-time?

We have two young adult boys, one in college and the other a college grad working in a great job. I'm sure they will move away from our hometown so we wont be anchored here either. It's a town we called home after I retired from the Air Force.

Interested in what other full-timers have done.

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Trailer Trash

Sold house, bought smaller townhome. Fulltime in MN campground during April through September. Then went down to Arizona for a few months, then back to MN in spring. Townhome was much easier to take care of than house.

This year, going to stay in townhome during winter. Too much work/money to full time in winter out of state.

Above is not me, but a couple retired seniors that I know.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyt View Post
I am still a few years away from retiring. The DW and I are planning to RV full-time for a few years when we do retire.

So the burning question we have for full-timer's (I guess it could be a poll). Did your sell you house when you went full-time?

We have two young adult boys, one in college and the other a college grad working in a great job. I'm sure they will move away from our hometown so we wont be anchored here either. It's a town we called home after I retired from the Air Force.

Interested in what other full-timers have done.
We did not go full time RV, but we did full time sailing. We were gone for 5 years and logged 15000 blue water miles under our keel. We sold our house in the Bay Area, but we bought a Condo in case we ever wanted to return. When we returned to the USA, things really changed and even that we had the condo we could not afford the everyday living on a fix income in SF. We were on the way to the Med., but found Virginia the cost of living is at least half. The point of this is to say make sure you have something to come back to and then make your decision from that. Do Not put all your eggs in one basket things will change. I have no regrets after seeing over 22 county's and the wonderful people we met on our way. I say go for it and have...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

We sold our house. We are not looking at purchasing a 2nd trailer to have at our winter location and one at our summer location and motel between the two.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

We lost our house in a wildfire september 2011 and have been fulltiming for over a year now. We don't think we could stay planted in one place for more than a few weeks or a month at this point. But maybe in a few years we could.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
We did not go full time RV, but we did full time sailing. We were gone for 5 years and logged 15000 blue water miles under our keel. I have no regrets after seeing over 22 county's and the wonderful people we met on our way. I say go for it and have...
This is what I would love to do. Don't know if I have the heart to do it, though. Oh, and I've never been on a sail boat, either.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #7

We did it for 6 months, then went back "home" and sold it in 2 weeks, had an "estate" sale, after we let family go through and take what they wanted. Worked out great and are not sorry at all. We never looked back!! Just enjoying less "repairs" and wife has less to clean, leaving more time for us to have fun.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

We sold our house 2 years ago and rented a Townhouse. Then we bought our MH to go full time in. We are truly full time, don't have the Townhouse anymore. So far we love it. We put some things in storage for awhile in case we want to go back to renting for awhile again. Nothing to worry about but the MH. Home is now wherever we park. Enjoy, we are.
XL 378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
We sold our house. We are not looking at purchasing a 2nd trailer to have at our winter location and one at our summer location and motel between the two.
Where do you stay in the winter? Do you have a permanent address to get your mail and license and Insurance?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Because of the high cost of out of country health insurance we stay in Canada and spend the winters in BC. We have a post office box that we had when we owned our home. We have our mail forwarded to BC during the winter. Because we don't have a home we pay extra for full timer insurance of the trailer.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #11

We use Escapees for mail and permanent address.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack
We use Escapees for mail and permanent address.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your home. Thank you for the information.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Full Time RV'rs.

We are full time at Savannah, KOA. My wife has 17 months until retirement from the FAA. We really like being full time, been since Aug 2012.
Nepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #14

My wife and myself have been retired for several years now. We first purchased a TT and loved it. We just purchased a Palomino 295rl and plan on selling our house and traveling for at least 2-3 years before deciding on a smaller house somewhere with more sunshine year round. If we were to go full time instead of buying a house, what do you full timers do about medical needs as you get older and want or need more medical attention.

This has been our biggest concern. We are both in very good health and do not forsee any problems, but one has to be realistic.

One other concern is if we do not buy a house for 5-15 years, will we be priced out of the housing market when houses do finally go up in price.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon
B&W hitch
2013 Columbus Palomino 295RL
Jon_Celia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #15

We are lucky to live in Canada. We have medical coverage all across the country. When we head to the west coast we will get a 6 month supply of drugs (we only get our drugs from the province which we live). Last year when in BC my DW was diagnosed with bladder cancer. She was admitted to the hospital in BC where they removed the tumor. We had no out of pocket expenses for the hospital stay. She was given several prescriptions that were filled in BC. We only had to purchase one months worth so our expenses were only $35. The way our provincial medical plan works is that if the province we are visiting charges more then the cost at home we might have to pay the difference. That is one advantage of paying higher taxes.