Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Getting pretty old

I am now 75 years old. I have disabilities that are keeping me from doing all the things I used to do and I am sure I Am not alone. Are there any other campers out there as old as me?
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
I am now 75 years old. I have disabilities that are keeping me from doing all the things I used to do and I am sure I Am not alone. Are there any other campers out there as old as me?
Getting close, 72, but no disabilities other than being extremely lazy and mentally handicapped, which has been progressing since retirement 01Aug06
Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
AW, Come on TETSURVIVOR--------------

TETSURVIVOR, You are letting your mind play lazy tricks on you?? I will not let my age get me down. I try to think young every day, 24-7. I have to because I am 76 years old, been there done that so many times, I am still hard charging. 24 years in the Navy with so much salt water passing under my butt that it is hard to describe. Many ports all over the world, 28 years as a CEO and owner of a two way communications business. Both knees replaced a week apart, left kidney left me this past Jan. Cataracts in both eyes, that were removed six months apart. (you see, I have to stay young) I have too much invested in life. Age number is just a number figure ????? My mind thinks it is 20-35 years old but my body is only 45 years old with all the new parts. You see, I have to think young to stay ahead of the life cycle that society thinks we are suppose to live in because of age numbers that I refuse to believe. I stay busy all the time to keep the great mind occupied and off of age numbers.

TETSURVIVOR, thank you for your service, I arrived in VIETNAM one week after TET!

Follow me in my foot steps for a week and you will forget the age figure.
It is a state of mind!

The Ole Coot about has me beat for sure, At least that is what he would like for me to believe!!

Good luck, think young, enjoy life.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Hey Daisy Boykin,
I noticed you had a comm co. Do you have any old tube stuff f.m. laying around?? I collect military and early f.m.
Dave and Rainy

sorry about changing the thread a bit.
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

TUBES and CAPS---------

Sorry, long gone, HUUUMMMM about 2004 I think I unloaded all of the tubes I had including ceramic tubes. Had lots of 8950, 12BY7 ETC, but long gone.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

Thank you both for your service. I can only sumise that "Tetsurvivor" is just that. I'm gonna be 55 yrs young on the 18th and will be going in for my second shoulder replacement on the 27th. Arthritis due to lyme disease. I keep on trucking since I have many more(and hopefully pain free) years ahead.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

Rattlensmoke--------

Good for you, hang in there. You are a young fellow and have much to see and do after your surgery, rehab fast, make those fingers climb the ladder as requested at the rehab center. Before you know it , life will be pain free and great. As I said before, age are just numbers that I refuse to believe.
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Thanks Sid. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
Tetsurvivor:

I know what you mean. I'll be 75 on the 19th of this month and I can't do half the things I used to. I had a pop up but it was getting to be too much work for me so I bought an Flagstaff Hard Sided (Aframe) because they set up in one minute. I'm trying my best not to let my age keep me from camping. I've always loved it and I try and work around the difficult things. Don't let your age slow you down. Try and find solutions to make things easier for yourself. You deserve it!
Hang in there and keep camping!
Jim (U.S Army)
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Director, FROG

Thank you one and all for your service. Hard to believe it's now nearly 45 years since the Tet Offensive.

I know that there are obviously individual circumstances, but as DaisyBoykin suggested, it's important to live every day that you're alive. There's a lot of truth in the old saying, "We don't quit playing because we get old, we get old because we quit playing."

And Sid, I didn't realize you'd had so much work done. Nancy could make a fortune selling you for parts!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

We started this round of camping with a tent, but sleeping in a cold environment does make the arthritis happy. We had a pop up trailer but it just got to hard to raise and lower it, not to mention pulling out the ends and putting in the ribs for the canvas. We bought a 2011 Grey Wolf 26rl and have not had to make any changes for the DH's disability's, just ones that we wanted to make us more comfortable.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
Always Learning

I'm 32 and sometimes feel 75!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #13

we started camping two years ago, I'm 71 and DW is 67 with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The MS really restricts her motion but we carry a small electric scooter which she uses at camp sites to get around. Never to late to enjoy the outdoors. Now we would like a small MH !
Enjoyed travelling to International rally last year to meet all the FROGs.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #14

Thanks for all the positive comments, as for Vietnam, I go there every morning at 3AM after p call. No regrets and I would do it all over again.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #15

52 with war wounds from the dirt bowl - Afcrapistan. MP trade where everyone is your friend and wants to assist you. Medical release coming last NOV. (note the dry humor attempt) .
Hope to make it to 75. But at this rate.... Lol.
Started tenting with our kids and I swear my back sucked every drop of moisture out from a 20 foot radius under the ground sheet. With one injury settlement we purchased our 2012 Salem 27RKSS. Live is much nicer when the skunks and raccoons don't come knocking on the nylon siding.
Thank for your service Sir.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #16

Thanks for your service. I,am 73 years young I still woRk 3 days a week the same job I have had for over 50 years. I still ride my Harley Trike and compete on a Shrine Motorcycle drill team. I honestly think that if you stay active the years don,t mean a thing. THINK YOUNG STAY ACTIVE.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND PROTECT OUR TROOPS
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Thanks for the good words guys, MILCOP4523 I was also an MP for 21 years, 18th Brigade in RVN.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Anacortesians

Coming up 72, angioplasty in Dec 2011 and spinal surgery earlier that year. Can't do some things any more. I'm pretty sure I couln't kick a Norton Commando into life like I did every day for 2 years when I worked at Norton.

I'm not so sure about going up on the MH roof to clean it every 6 months, I think I'll start paying that done.

We still enjoy the lifestyle and I'm hoping to keep it up at least another 5 years.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #19

Tetsurvivor...first of all thank you to everyone who have, or is serving, including the sacrifices of their Families. I'm a USAF veteran, 1966-1970...Was not sent to RVN, but spent a tour at Clark AFB, Phillipines...

There are so many responses here that I can relate to...I'm 64, as is DW. We just started enjoying the RV lifestyle last August and plan to enjoy it for a long time. I do wish we started with our TT a long time ago. I have a lot of medical issues and will likely have both hips replaced in the future (I'm delaying that as long as possible).

I agree with those that feel that age is only a number. I refuse to give in and am very active. We are enjoying life and have no plans to slow down. Life is good!!

TravelTracer
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Grandpa's big Blue truck

I just had a total left hip replacement I am 56 I am a truck driver and I farm bad joints run in my family don't put it off to long first day after surgery is hard but day 2 was much better in hospital 3 days 2 weeks after surgery doing well if I didn't do it I would have been in a wheelchair
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote