Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Good Sam Roadside assistance any good?

On my other thread I discussed planning a trip. I would love get a feel for the Goodsam Road side assistance. I currently have it but have never used it. On the trip From Dallas to Yellowstone thought it would be a good insurance to have. Any thoughts?
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #2

Of course, the best insurance is the one you never have to use. I think a lot of the results depends on the area you are in when you need help. Some service is very fast others are half fast. Naturally you will mostly see negative response on a forum, although I have seen a lot of good service on this forum. I purchased it this year since the first year from Coach Net is over. Most of what I have seen is that is much better than AAA. Many like Coach Net also. I don't think you can go wrong with Good Sam in the long run.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

im glad you said coach net I have that already on my trailer since its brand new... At least I think I do. lol
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

I had to use Good Sam once. They responded quickly. Called me back. And had a service tech to me in a little over an hour on a Friday night. My one time use was very positive. I will keep the Good Sam policy.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
im glad you said coach net I have that already on my trailer since its brand new... At least I think I do. lol
Yeah, the first year on most Forest River products includes a year of coverage with Coach Net, so it looks like your are well covered if you bought Good Sam insurance also. If one can't help maybe the other one can, but hope you don't need either of them. You should have a letter in your owners packet that is from Coach Net.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Yes! Excellent. Have used it a number of times including Calgary, AB - home, Vegas and Yuma. Very good response and well worth the cost. We've had it 12 years.
mcmilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

I echo mcmilia. One dark Xmas eve my truck stopped running out in the middle of nowhere. The Good Sam responder kept with me as he tried to locate a tow. Finally found one that was open, but wasn't 'on his list'. Nontheless had him out to get me in less than an hour, and called back after to ensure that it worked out. I've used it a few other times in less trying circumstances with similar good results - and it covers all you vehicles and little bride too
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Good Sam hires independent companies. Never had a major issue to judge that type of service however if it is something small that does not pay a lot the wait times can be terrible.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We have had Good Sam roadside Assistance for many years. We have had to use them many times for all sorts of problems from towing out of the mud (in Ontario) to fuel outage (in Oregon) to tire problems (in Florida). In every case they have been there efficiently and on time. They also constantly check that everything is going well when you are in trouble. They have been totally reliable for us and the price is right.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #10

have had to wait a bit but it was worth having it
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

I have been fine with my normal RV insurance from State Farm. I have 3 times needed it one time the had to put my 5er on a lowboy rig to take to a dealership. I have found no reason for any other tow or roadside insurance.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

Had to use Good Sam once. We arrived at the RV resort and promptly locked the keys in the car (which we had parked in front of the RV) at 9pm. I called Good Sam and the first thing they asked was, were we in a safe place. We told them yes and that the service call could wait til the next morning. We set up a 9am appointment. The next morning I received a call at 8am verifying that appointment. At 9:05am the locksmith arrived, at 9:10am, Good Sam called to ask if their service company had arrived and if the service was satisfactory (it was). Later that morning, I received an automated call to rate the service call and my overall experience.

I feel they have a very good system in place along with the rating system to keep them and their contractors on a high level of performance.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #13

I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and have used them twice once for my wife when she had a flat and when I got stuck with the trailer in a snow storm and they arraigned to get a heavy haul to pull me and the trailer out. They stayed in constant contact till the truck arrived.

2015 Siera 377FLIK
2014 Ford F350 KR
Maggie the new Chihuahua
Cricket the Chihuahua RIP
Steve & Jojo
stevewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #14

I agree with the other folks, it's good to have. We've had it for over 20 years, and have been very pleased with the service when we have had to use it. Of course, the best thing is not to have to use. In some cases you may have to wait for service, depending on time of day and your location, but the Good Sam Operator will call you back and give you an estimate of time.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
StlClay

Used them once to tow my truck, not relater to camping trip. Extremely good service, renewed for 3 years
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #16

I have had Good Sam's Roadside Service for several years. I had excellent response time and They always keep me advised of what is happening with who ever comes to assist me.
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #17

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned cost. Through my comparison, they are substantially higher than many others. Good Sam, great as they are, tends to sell a lot on their good which they generate from the camping perspective. Their roadside assistance and auto insurance are some of the highest in the industry. In fact, I went with the dealer's extended service plan because Good Sam was quadruple for almost identical coverage! Don't just go with a familiar name...shop around.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #18

Good Sam's has sent the right people & equipment both times I needed them this past year, so I am ready to sign-up for another year! (< $100)

The first event was when I didn't check my lug nuts @ 10 miles & arrived at a campsite with a wobbly tire... Two lug bolts were sheared & the rest were stripped. I forgot I had Good Sam's & tried calling everyone from our dealer to local semi-trailer shops & no one would come & help me on the weekend... THEN I saw my Good Sam's card in my TT paperwork! An hour later they had a skilled trailer mechanic on the scene removing my TT axle & replacing my lug bolts. At my request he even picked-up an extra set of bolts at-cost, only charged me $45/hour for labor, and didn't charge me for the hour he ran to get parts... (Good Sam's covers the service call but not extra labor to fix something major...)

The second call to Good Sam's was when my Ram Hemi engine blew on the way to a work meeting. Good Sam's sent a flatbed vs. a tow truck because they didn't want to cause further damage to the powertrain. The tow driver even went out of the way to take me to a safe location so I could wait on my ride. In comparison, when the dealer needed to move it to another location for warranty work, they just found the cheapest, most careless tow driver around & I thought he was going to damage my truck...

So I have nothing but high praises for Good Sam's. Yes, their service is only as good as the local people who have signed-on with them, but IMO both people who came to help me were the best in the area...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #19

I have used it twice in the past 3 years, once on a friends car who locked his keys inside, once on our fiver when a door lock broke and we were unable to get in. on both occasions they arrived promptly and did a superior job, I have no complaints.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #20

We use Good Sam, BUT, have not needed it. 😁 like any program, independent service providers get paid by service call. I would guess Good Sam has a LOT OF BZ TO ASSIGN. If a provider gets complaints, not going to be good for the relationship. One has to assume that companies such as Good Sam, State Farm, Allstate are important!
That in itself is a good reason to stay with a major provider!
When I had a major tire failure on the Florida Turnpike, I JUST called Good Sam when a big truck service truck made a U turn and approached. He had no fee, but I tipped him $25 for his 10 minutes and we were on our way. Safety first. Wanted to get that RV up to the next break area and have all aboard relax.
Moral of this story is have your tire in an ez place to retrieve it.
Made a BAD issue into an OK one.
Also had Gorilla Tape which I used plenty of to secure broken parts.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam