Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #21

Just a note: Michigan State Parks accept reservations 6 months in advance. If you desire to go to a highly popular campground (like those on Lake Michigan, which are awesome) you may need to reserve as early as 8 am at the 6 months opening day.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #22

Under the Radar is a great show and Tom Daldin has a lot of great places that you wouldn't think of on a tour even living here (we live in Michigan). Also, check out both "Pure Michigan" and Michigan DNR for a lot of tips of places to go. We just came back from Mackinaw and it is a great place to basecamp for northern Michigan. We stay at the Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping campground and get a place right on the lake. Using that as a jumping off point you can hit a lot of stuff from Gaylord to the Sault and Pictured Rocks. The campground has full hookups, to minimum hookups depending on what you prefer. Things are starting to wind down up there for the winter (lots of winter sports, but, many of the shops and attractions and campgrounds close), so the Forts, and a lot of attractions on the island will be closed by the end of October. They usually start up again in April and May. You should also look into the "Tunnel of Trees" along the west shore of the state from Harbor Springs to Mackinaw and plan a stop in Cross Village at the Legs Inn. Great Polish food and some really interesting artwork (as in tables and chairs for dining and other great stuff). The road is winding and narrow, so I wouldn't pull a trailer through there that is more than 24 ft. or so, but, it is a beautiful drive. If you have a day or two to spend, try the trip to Wisconsin on the Badger out of Ludington. It is fairly expensive to bring the vehicles along, but, if you have the day, you can go over in the morning and come back in the evening. There is also the city life in Ann Arbor, Detroit, Royal Oak, and areas around southeastern Michigan. Watch the giant 1,000 foot lake freighters go right by your campsite in Algonac State Park with Canada in the background. So much to do, so many places to eat! Enjoy our state, it is very versatile and unique.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 PM   #23

You will also need to buy a Pass/Permit,for State Park use from Michigan,this is Not included in your Camping Site fee! Youroo!!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

If you live in Michigan you can add the State Park Pass to your lic plate for $9 a year,,, Best $9 we ever spent !!!
If you have time and are any where near Detroit the Henry Ford is a MUST,, The Museum & Greenfield Village are Great,,, plan about a day foe each,,, you can also tour the Rouge Plant,,, where they build the F-150 !!! Camp Dearborn is a Great RV park,,, but is about 45 to 1 hour away in Milford MI !!! Greenfield RV park is closer,,, you can get discount vouchers @ either park !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #25

Sterling state park in monroe is a nice park with paved roads and pads. They have a nice bike /walk path that will take you to one of the newest national park (raisin river battlefield ). The park is right on the shore of Lake Erie, great fishing here.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #26

Joining in on this thread as a Michigan loop next summer is on our radar. How is Rt 23 on the east side, we tow a 42' 5th wheel with a full size Kenworth but have a Smart for sightseeing, any info is great. Looking at our first stop to be a Thousand Trails park near St. Clair, Port Huron area.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #27

Rt.23 is great once you get past Saginaw and follow along the east, but if you're going to st clare/port Huron area, you're probably want Rt 25 which is nice. The best way to get through Detroit would be i-75 to i-275 to i-94. The rouge river bridge is always tore up it seems.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #28

M23 is fine from Ann Arbor North East to I96 !!!
I saw parts of 5 were closed ???
Old 01-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #29

Man I'm so happy to have found this thread. The DW, DS12, DD9 will be heading to Michigan this July.

We will make a stop in Ann Arbor to see friends for a day then want to head up North to the UP and spend 7-10 days in the area.

Glad to learn about the 6 month booking window too since that time is approaching fast.

While I know my wife and I will really enjoy it I'm hoping the kids find the joy in the whole experience as well.

If anyone would be willing to also include some CG's in the area that have swimming pools that wud be a bonus for the kids a few nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 AM   #30

If you are traveling Rt 23 there is the KOA in Oscoda. They have a decent pool and well maintained CG, highly shaded with large trees. Take the family for a canoe trip on the Au Sable River, there are many outfitters in town. Life without the I-Pad The city maintains a nice beach on Lake Huron.

South of there, in Tawas, there are a number of CG on the water. Every time I pass them they are full and cramped, like you would have a hard time opening your slides. To crowded for me. In the late 60's we would stay there in the early spring and net "smelt" out of the lake on the beach. Yep, fill a 5 gal bucket in 15 minutes.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #31

I stayed at the Ludington state park last July. Lake Michigan is better than any pool I've seen with real nice sandy beaches, clean and warm water. And there's a lighthouse about a miles walk down the beach that is nice and the CG had paved roads and site pads. You can rent kayaks or tubes and float down a river next to the park right out to the lake/beach area.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
If you are traveling Rt 23 there is the KOA in Oscoda. They have a decent pool and well maintained CG, highly shaded with large trees. Take the family for a canoe trip on the Au Sable River, there are many outfitters in town. Life without the I-Pad The city maintains a nice beach on Lake Huron.

South of there, in Tawas, there are a number of CG on the water. Every time I pass them they are full and cramped, like you would have a hard time opening your slides. To crowded for me. In the late 60's we would stay there in the early spring and net "smelt" out of the lake on the beach. Yep, fill a 5 gal bucket in 15 minutes.
If you are going to stay in Tawas,,, Tawas Point State Park is the place !!! Large Camp sits,,, Nice Beach & Light House !!!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post

Man that "Smelt" sure brings back the Mich.Days when the Bars would have Big Bowls of Smelt "Free" where popcorn and pretzels are now! The "Au Sable River" one of the Best for Canoe also! Youroo!!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Man that "Smelt" sure brings back the Mich.Days when the Bars would have Big Bowls of Smelt "Free" where popcorn and pretzels are now! The "Au Sable River" one of the Best for Canoe also! Youroo!!
LOVE SMELT !!!
I think we still have a take out Chicken place that has a Smelt Basket !!!
The Chicken Coop ???
Old 01-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #35

If you to canoe/kayak, you can stay at a peterson bridge national park on M37 and M55 and spend two days on the mighty and beautiful Pine river! Or the fastest river in the lower, the Sturgeon River.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #36

Stay around the Wolverine Mi. area for the Sturgeon river trip. (I for got to include that in my last post)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired06 View Post
If you to canoe/kayak, you can stay at a peterson bridge national park on M37 and M55 and spend two days on the mighty and beautiful Pine river! Or the fastest river in the lower, the Sturgeon River.
Damm near drown on that Pine River a few years back,,, it was our first ever canoe trip !!! Also our last !!!
LMAO !!!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #38

Quote:
We have a 1964 Fiberglass Au Sable Lake Canoe,2003 Mohawk racing canoe,and a 1947 Ceder Strip Canoe! We HAD a Coleman Poly Canoe that was a Death Trap! Lots of Rivers in Mich.that are Family Safe! Youroo!!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #39

Quote:
Stay around the Wolverine Mi. area for the Sturgeon river trip. (I for got to include that in my last post)
Staying at "Hardwick Pines SP" is a good jump point for the Au Sable start in Grayling,Mi. Youroo!!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #40

It would be a COLD day you know where before I could ever get the wife back in a canoe !!! Love Hartwick Pines SP,,, We used to pass thru Mio several times a year on our way to Alpena,,, Lots of Canoeing going on there !!! How about that race from Grayling to Oscota ???