Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Great Lakes Area-esp Michigan

Would like to hear from different persons their ideal camping/trip routes up to and around Upper Michigan from Pennsylvania, Perhaps crossing over into Canada as a grand circular route

Old 10-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Would like to hear from different persons their ideal camping/trip routes up to and around Upper Michigan from Pennsylvania, Perhaps crossing over into Canada as a grand circular route
I made this trip from the Chicago area. I tried to stay as close to the Lake Michigan coast as possible. Found lost of nice little towns. Stopped in Holland, and coming down the west side a door county Wisconsin fish boil dinner is a must. If you are going the route and trying to make the circle clokwise and wind up back in Penn then forget the door county advice.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Just got back from the UP Friday, Lake Brevort, the color is just starting to come on so your timing is good. My only suggestion is to get off the interstate and take the back roads. I have traveled the state of Michigan for over 60 years and find something new every time we go.
2012 Spyder RTL
FrankG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

We just did a trip from Cincinnati. 2 nights outside of Cheboygan, 2 nights near Sault Ste Marie and 2 nights in Traverse city.

Here is our site at P.H. Hoeft State Park

The thing about Michigan campgrounds is that they do not pave their RV pads.

HOWEVER, their bathrooms are amazing. Every park we went to, the bathrooms were super clean, and have private showers. Each shower room has a door to the outside, then you have a changing area and the shower, all private. No shower curtains, communal benches, etc. Super nice.

If you stay near Cheboygan and want something to do, give Capt. Steve at Chum Bucket charters a call. $400 to take the 4 of us out, and we caught a ton of fish. Here is my wife's steelhead.

If you make it up to Sault Ste. Marie, eat dinner at The Antlers.
Good food, and tons of cool stuff to look at

We stayed at Brimley campground near Sault Ste Marie. Site 55 is the BEST in the park. You have a great view of Lake Superior.

Go over to the Canadian side of Sault Ste Marie, and check out the Bush Plane Museum. Cheap to get in, and a great way to spend a few hours.

My girls had a blast there

DO NOT make the mistake I did. If you stop at the duty free store, you still have to pay duty unless you spend more than 48 hours in Canada. Its STILL super cheap, so stop and stock up on liquor and beer. 12 packs of good beer were $6. But I got the third degree from the US border agent on my way back in to the US, but they let me off with a warning.

I liked Traverse City's campground the least. We stayed at the Traverse City state park campground, and it is literally RIGHT in the middle of the city. Good thing is you can walk out of the campground and down to somewhere for dinner, so if you want to have a few drinks, thats a bonus. But, the campsites were super small and we had zero privacy.

If you do go to that area though, check out the Jolly Pumpkin Brewery. They had some fantastic artisan pizzas.

Here is a shot of our campsite. I really disliked how little privacy we had. We were there during the cherry festival, so it was slammed.

They had these hilarious black squirrels though and they were not afraid of people.

We did another fishing charter in Traverse City. "Ultimate Fishing Charter".

We had an OK catch

But the captain was kind of a jerk. Just a real gruff unfriendly guy. And the first mate complained when I asked him to steak my trout instead of filet.

We did this 6 night trip the end of June, coming back on July 3rd. Pack warm. We had to go out and buy jackets. It was already in the 90s in Cincinnati, and we got up to our first over night, and were freezing at night.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Silver Lake Sand Dune

If you Make Your Way North via the west side of the state stopping in Silver-lake Sandune's is a must. Silver Creek RV resort is amazing. Spots are spacious clean and it's a very enjoyable park. You can spend a day visiting the Sandune's, and if you don't have some type a four wheeler you can always rent one. The sand dunes are not only beautiful scenery, but worthy of an afternoon of fun as well!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

fyi - lugoismad --
Some MI State Parks do have RV Pads. If that's a requirement, the DNR website will let you know which parks (and/or) which sites have a Pad.

Enjoy your trip!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #7

Just an additional point. Not all Michigan State Park campsites are dirt. Most in northern Michigan are because of the weather. Many in mid and southern Michigan have paved sites. Infact Holland as mentioned previously, is all paved on the beach sites. And there are many others. However, those sites get reserved early on. It is a beautiful place to camp having moved here 20 years ago!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

If you have the time, make one leg of your loop in Michigan on the west coast. Awesome beaches and fantastic campgrounds (state parks and private) all along there.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #9

The Porcupine Mtns State Park near Ontonagon in the west end of DA U.P. is beautiful right now!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzpsjm View Post
Just an additional point. Not all Michigan State Park campsites are dirt. Most in northern Michigan are because of the weather. Many in mid and southern Michigan have paved sites. Infact Holland as mentioned previously, is all paved on the beach sites. And there are many others. However, those sites get reserved early on. It is a beautiful place to camp having moved here 20 years ago!
X2 on the paved sites.
We just stayed at Young SP in Boyne City two weeks ago. The Terrace campground section is paved as well as some of the sites.

Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote