Old 02-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #31

We use the Blackstone and a Char-broil charcoal grill. Also a 12” Lodge dutch oven. Gave the Roadtrip and accessories to DD and SIL for their TT.

2017 Wildcat 32 WB ( 9/17 )
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. Based in all the positive responses, I picked up the $147 Blackstone 22" griddle from Walmart and the low pressure adaptor from PropaneGear. I'm. It sure yet if it will supplement or replace the Coleman Roadtrip. Thanks again.

I also have the 22" Blackstone from Walmart. I thought it was the best deal. For $147.00 you get the griddle with a lid, and and adjustable stand with a shelf. Have been leaving the grill at home ever since.

Dawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Hahaha, glad I'm not the only one. I think I have 10 grills; gas, charcoal, smokers, portable, full size. My latest acquisition is a two burner portable stainless steel Pit Boss table top grill I plan on taking in trailer. (20k BTU).

I also have a nice double sided Lodge cast iron griddle I plan on taking with me if it fits on the Pit Boss grill, instead of a single-purpose Blackstone griddle.
Tried that with the 10k btu grill that came with the trailer and was disappointed with the heating. I like the camp chef burners though so I think that will work because you have 20k btu grill. My complaint is keeping the cast iron from getting everything else dirty in storage as we do this for scouts. The blackstone is nice because it cleans so easily and fits great into storage without leaking grease on everything.

If you make it work well I may end up having to try something else new . Let me know how you solve the greasy cast iron storage problem I had. I am sure I missed an idea somewhere.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #34
Trailer Park Supervisor

dan, I just keep the griddle in the original cardboard carton fastened closed with a couple pieces of duct tape. Just fashion a cardboard sleeve for it if you no longer have the carton. I normally oil mine up after cleaning it, so storing like that is essential unless you want oil over everything. Also a good piece of gear to clean that up and other cast iron is a section of chain mail, makes cast iron clean up quick and easy. I have one called The Ringer.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #35

I bought my husband the 28" blackstone for Christmas. We are going seasonal this year so that will stay at our site. When we travel we will still use our Weber Q, the 28" is not convenient to travel with but the weber has the half griddle side that we used a lot, just takes longer because it is so much smaller.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the griddle, seems it's the way to go nowadays.

2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #36

For those with the 17” blacstone, they also make a very amazing cover and bag for it. Makes it a dream to pack up and store nice and clean.

I think it was 40 bucks.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #37

Why limit yourself to choosing between a grill and flattop? Get all that... and a pizza oven with Camp Chef! I take my Camp Chef everywhere. It's a 2 burner option so I can grill and griddle without having to carry all the different equipment. I cook everything on the Camp Chef. I own the Camp Chef Pro60X stove which is much larger but more versatile.

Recently, Camp Chef created the Versatop which is a game changer for portable camp cooking. It is the same size as the Blackstone 17inch so it's nice and portable. Except, the Versatop is WAY better. It allows you to swap out the griddle for a grill or even a pizza oven. It does pretty much everything! It is on my list of things to get this summer.

Check out the versatop:
kennibc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #38

Lodge cast iron griddle on the old Coleman 3 burner. Bacon grease splattered around my nice clean TT? Not me, I cook outside every chance I get. I love the old Coleman stoves and lanterns. The Lodge cast iron is much cheaper and is extremely non stick. And I am not gradually eating any chemical coatings.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #39

Skip12 great question!

We got a 22” Blackstone for Christmas and I had planned to take both the grill and griddle with us camping but after using the Blackstone in the garage since Christmas (we are in the middle of winter) I’m not sure I will need the grill that much. My observation has been the only people that question the benefits of a flattop griddle are people that do not own one.

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
Fundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #40

I now carry/use 3 things. I have recently gotten a 17" BS and so far I love it(prolly used a dozen times), however I have a SS LPG grill I will continue to use as there are things I feel the grill is better suited. I have a cheap Coleman outdoor LPG stove that I use for pan cooking and feel it's a pretty good set-up.

I have a Coleman Roadtrip XXL and hate it. It is a suicide mission to set it up(it can fall and smash stuff), i doesn't have enough height to cook any more than 2-3" thick, it looks like it was used 30 years as the "chrome" rusted very quickly(we camp so a shower can happen anytime), it feels like it weighs as much as me, it's long and difficult to store. YMMV

Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote