Old 02-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Griddle Users - Do you miss your grill?

Hey all, there's a long thread here about the virtues of the Blacksone Griddle. It seems very tempting to me.

I currently use a Coleman Roadtrip with both griddle plates and grill plates. It has served me well for 15 years but it's tempting to try something new.

My question here is to people that have swapped out their grill to griddle only solution?

Are you happy with the switch?
Are there things you really miss about a grill?

Thanks and happy camping!

Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Really like our Blackstone Griddle. IMHO it's so much more versatile and I don't miss the grill marks on meat.

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #3

I have had my 17" Blackstone for about two years. Really like cooking on it. Liked it so much I bought a 36" for the house.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

Very interesting, I've eyed those up but never thought of it as an alternative to a grill, more of an additional cooking implement.
Cats: Rhody and Hazy
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Grilling does have a place in our coach, but the blackstone is a true flat top. Eggs to Fajitas, easy to clean. We use it prob 10 to 1 over the grill.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #6

I carry two grills but I cook mostly on my Blackstone griddle. I have a 17in and a 22in griddle, Iím probably going to leave the 22in at home. Iíll probably leave one grill at home too. DW really likes a steak cooked on a griddle
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Very interesting, I've eyed those up but never thought of it as an alternative to a grill, more of an additional cooking implement.
x2 Ive got a 17" Blackstone and I still use my Weber grill as well.

Just depends on what Im cooking and what I feel like doing.

Mike
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #8

We absolutely love the Blackstone. It has cut the charcoal usage in half. With that said burger's, steak, sausage ext. Is still cooked on charcoal but mostly everything else on the Blackstone. It is just so versatile.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Looks tempting at times but I have a decent BBQ Propane and GMG Pellet Smoker. I have a 2 Burner propane stove and cast iron pans that more less look after the flat top part.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #10

We made the official switch not long ago and haven't looked back.

Backstory:
At the house, we started with a charcoal Weber, switched to a Traeger and found it's limits pretty quick. For searing burgers, steaks and dogs, the Traeger was without. I really don't smoke with it so it's essentially an outdoor, smoky oven. We still used the Weber quiet often. And, if I'm cooking over flames, I want it burning something other than a liquid fuel.

When we purchased our trailer in '17 it was the only brand that came with an actual grill (Aussie RV grill) built in the outdoor kitchen. It served us well the first season or two but I found our usage dictated carrying a cast iron griddle to use on the grill to cook things like bacon, hash browns and even burgers and chicken wasn't outstanding. The burner essentially was on high at all times with very direct cooking.

Enter the Blackstone 17":
I got this for Christmas and haven't stopped using it. It has a place on our deck next to the Traeger. it lights easy, comes to heat and cooks everything well. As others have said, it cooks everything. Hash browns, bacon, eggs, SPAM, english muffins, heating buns, burgers, fajitas and even 1+" flank steak....it just works and works extremely well. The cooking surface is also 268 sq inches as opposed to the Aussie's 205 sq inches = Bigger cooking surface with more heat control.

We've taken it in the trailer a couple times so far and I haven't missed the Aussie grill at all...especially the simplistic clean up of the Blackstone. Scrape everything to the hole, hit the cooktop with a paper towel and empty the grease drawer....it's really that easy and fast.

I was impressed enough that I removed the Aussie and drilled the metal drawer slide to house the Blackstone while we travel. I also got a quick-connect adapter to use the Blackstone with the travel trailer low pressure propane tanks. The spae saved by the Blackstone and being able to flip the cooking surface over for storage also allowed enough room for my Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove to be stored in there as well.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Blackstone 17" with cooking surface flipped and Camp Chef Everest stove stored on top.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote