Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #21

We have just the one kiddo, a boy, almost 20 years old. He has never liked camping and made sure he tried to make everybody around him as miserable as he was. The little brat! I guess that's why we had such a good trip without him. It was peaceful.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #22

Still make middle of the night bathroom runs. They are just for me now!

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

One is 5 the other is 8. We love seeing them grow up, but hate that they are growing so fast because they are such a source of warmth for my heart (although, sometimes they just give me high blood pressure!)

We tried to start same as out friends but the Lord that be had other plans for us so after a while we looked into adoption and brought home Olivia when she was 30 months and Jason when he was 24.

They are the most awesome thing that has ever happened to us and we know we are blessed every day. Sharing this incredibly fun pursuit with them is awesome and we hate the idea it will ever be different.

Fact is, once they get older, who know, there's always fostering.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #24

We started camping after our kids were grown and out of the house and it seams that one of the kids always comes along. one of the neatest trips this year my dw took my mother in law my daughter and my granddaughter on a weekend camping trip. My 85 year old mother in law is already planing next years trip.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
we started camping after our kids were grown and out of the house and it seams that one of the kids always comes along. One of the neatest trips this year my dw took my mother in law my daughter and my granddaughter on a weekend camping trip. My 85 year old mother in law is already planing next years trip.
nice!
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
NELA

My most horrible memory re camping with kids was the night the a/c went out in our motorhome. Youngest was about 18 months old. I spent the entire night fanning him to sleep. As soon as I stopped fanning he'd wake up and cry. This was at cowhide cove on Lake Greeson, BTW.

Camping with young 'uns? BTDT. I much prefer adult camping. Our motto is still; Our RV entertains a dozen, but only sleeps TWO.

We even bought our RV with the idea it'd be just us. One must walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. I have no problem with that. Even if, on a rare occasion someone stays overnight with us, we don't plan to be swinging from the light fixture in our birthday suits.

In all seriousness, I understand and respect those of you who love camping with your children. We've just moved beyond that. We prefer the peace and solitude of reaching the age where we can, again, just enjoy each other's company.

We have a couple we are very close friends with, our age, who we camp with frequently. We are kindred spirits and thoroughly enjoy their company and vice versa. This is the couple we're spending Thanksgiving with at Catherine's Landing in Hot Springs. This is totally new for us, to do something "just for us" during a holiday. Is it selfish? Some might think so and that's ok with me too. We think we've earned the right to *be* a bit selfish now and then, at our age.

YMMV

P.S. Comment from DH:

Protecting and guarding our time as an adult couple is no more selfish than protecting and guarding our time as parents with our children, no matter whether they're 18 months, 13 years, or 32 years old.

Me again;
There's an old saying; the best thing you can do for your children is to make time to maintain the relationship between their parents.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
We started camping after our kids were grown and out of the house and it seams that one of the kids always comes along. one of the neatest trips this year my dw took my mother in law my daughter and my granddaughter on a weekend camping trip. My 85 year old mother in law is already planing next years trip.
good luck on that one
2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
P.S. Comment from DH: Protecting and guarding our time as an adult couple is no more selfish than protecting and guarding our time as parents with our children, no matter whether they're 18 months, 13 years, or 32 years old. Me again; There's an old saying; the best thing you can do for your children is to make time to maintain the relationship between their parents.
Funny seeing all the different perspectives...we do both, adults only and with all the kids. Although new to rv'ing we done 4 trips this year, 3 with the kiddos and 1 weekend get away with the DW and I. It is a value of ours to maintain the marriage to better raise the family. Between our near perfect first run to the flu to working out sway and leveling, dry camping fiascos we still look forward to our next trip to my DD's cheer competition/camp trip in a few weeks. Everyone has their own perspective and are in their own season in life but for us right now in our season it it a time to get away from the rat race and use what spare time we do have to spend together bonding and decompressing. It seems as if a bad day camping together or doing anything together is better than not spending time bettering the family as a whole. Balance seems to be the key to making it work and attitude make the difference on how well it works.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #29

We only started camping after we were empty-nesters. We met late in life Me 35 and her 50. Now 68 and 82. We enjoy camping with our friends and all are empty-nesters now and we don't normally have children on our camp outs. We enjoy our adulthood. We don't mind camping next to families with children, In fact,on our last camp out, we camped next to three troupes of Boy Scouts. We enjoyed their play and laughter. Our Camper can entertain ten but only sleeps two plus three dogs. I guess they're or kids.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #30

We started camping when our youngest was 3. We have three kids. Now our youngest is 38. Our oldest is 43. The middle one is 41. We all have trailers now and the grandkids are all campers. We sometimes take our granddaughter for a week and then her parents and younger brother join up with us for a long weekend. The 2 oldest live 2000 miles away and we go to them every other year. We dry camp in the Rockies for a few weeks with them and then camp for a month in a campground near their homes. We get to bond with our 2 grandsons who live out there. When we 1st started we had the 3 kids and 2 large dogs(Bouviers) in a 6 sleeper, hard top camper. We've graduated to 2 TTs and 2 5ers. Our 5er is a 35footer and I tell anybody who will listen, that it's only comfortable for 2 but the DW always wants the kids and grandkids to be with us....I guess I feel that way also but like it's been said previous, it's nice to have the 5er to ourselves once in a while.