Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

Grown-Up Camping

Taking the entire family camping is always a fun get-away, as long as it doesn't rain. Over the years we have logged hundreds of trips in various RV's, Trailers, Pop-ups and tents with the kids and dog in tow. Some trips were just us, others with with a few other families and some with over 35 families. Now that the kids are grown we still venture out every opportunity we get. Sometimes the kids come by and visit for the day and maybe once a year they even come with us. Camping without the kids is a different experience alltogether. We love family camping and some day we will be able to introduce our grandchildren to camping, but until then.

Nobody goes over the handlebars on their bike
We don't get up in the middle of the night to take someone to the bathroom
We usually don't have to tell someone to be careful near the fire
Our campsite is no longer strewn with bikes, helmets, balls, towel lines, small chairs to trip over and coolers full of juice boxes
We only have to make one bed and can actually use the dining table first thing in the morning
There is no X-Box, Playstation or a pile of the Little Mermaid DVD's in the camper
We don't spend the day at the germ infested water park
We don't pack eight towels, two boogie boards, a cooler, five chairs, sunblock, potatoe chips, doritos, sandwiches, juice boxes, frisbees, sandcastle buckets and shovels, hats, kites, a roll of quarters for the arcade, sneakers, sandels, two umbrellas and what is left of our sanity
We no longer play candy bar bingo
We still go to Kareoke night, but now we are not required to participate
We usually still have cash in our pocket at the end of the weekend
Setting up and breaking down is far less kaotic
If it's a short drive to the campground, there isn't much talking while towing
If it's a long drive, I speak when spoken to. Otherwise the DW will spend the 2-3 hours texting her girlfirends in the caravan behind us.
Spring and Fall camping still bring waves of hot flashes even when the sun isn't out
The cabinet that used to house the Playstation and DVD's is now stocked with various containers of adult beverages
The cooler only has one selection and there are no juice boxes
There are four chairs, two for us and two for company and they are much more comfortable than the old beach chairs. The rest of our fellow campers carry their own chairs over to the site when visiting
The food selection is carefully planned out and the daily parade of appetizers and snacks is endless
If we go camping for just a weekend, I only have to dump the tanks once and there are no plastic toys jammed in the pipe
Site seeing and day tripping are slow paced, nobody starts crying when it's time to leave and we don't have to buy everything in the store
When we go shopping at the Jip-Joint near the Ocean, we never return to camp with a brightly painted hermit crab
In the morning, we enjoy a nice quite cup of coffee while watching the news
We get to sleep late if we want and have no place to be at any particular time

Adult Camping is still family camping, just a bit different from the crazy days of raising a family by the seat of your pants.

Did I miss anything?
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think you missed the out stretched arms for night time hugs and when they crawl up into your chair to cuddle by the fire (I have a 17yr old that still does this).
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

I think this hit the nail on the head.....many, many years for me to get to this point. Although at this stage i like having the kids with us....just not all their stuff as you pointed out.

We (wife and I ) took our fist trip alone this last weekend. As you stated it was far less mayhem and she was actually able to read an entire book. I chose to sit quietly by the fire and listen to the world series without ANY interruptions. Our lives right now seem to revolve around feeding loud angry mouths at regular intervals.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

In two hours, we are on our way out to our last grow-up camping trip for the season.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I think this hit the nail on the head.....many, many years for me to get to this point. Although at this stage i like having the kids with us....just not all their stuff as you pointed out.

We (wife and I ) took our fist trip alone this last weekend. As you stated it was far less mayhem and she was actually able to read an entire book. I chose to sit quietly by the fire and listen to the world series without ANY interruptions. Our lives right now seem to revolve around feeding loud angry mouths at regular intervals.
Feel mostly the same here. Love my kids dearly, and time is flying by! Oldest is 10 and the thought of her driving in a few years scares the crap outa me. But, rush is why we bought a camper when we did. Nothing better than a weekend away from the normal distractions. Lots of quality daddy daughter time happens while camping. Whether it be endless games of Frisbee, washers, and board games, sitting by a fire together, or cooking a fun breakfast together, these are memories I hope will be cherished for years to come.

Now the other side. Some if my favorite trips have been just the dw and I, and maybe the 1 yo. Any way you look at it, great memories!
Happy Campin!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Alleged curmudgeon

There is a season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think you missed the out stretched arms for night time hugs and when they crawl up into your chair to cuddle by the fire (I have a 17yr old that still does this).
AquaMan, I get it, although in the interest of full disclosure, my son and I combined for over 500 pounds at age 17 and did not, therefore, curl up together in a chair beside the fire much at that age. I have broken literally a couple of dozen lawn chairs in my life (the stories are legion), most of them around the fire, and do not need any help in adding to that total. Since joining this forum, I have grown to suspect most of them were made in China, but then I digress.

Here's what you need to know: FAMILY CAMPING IS AWESOME. It was awesome on my honeymoon in a tent in the Smokies, when "family" was just us. It was awesome when the kids were young, in tents, despite the heat and rain, and despite pulling a utility trailer piled full of everything I could bring along to facilitate kid fun. It was awesome in their teen years when we shifted to the PUP and the associated comforts, piling the back of the pickup full of stuff and carrying bikes on the hitch, often driving two cars to carry the cousins or other friends, etc., who were coming along for the weekend. When those "friends" evolved into boyfriends and girlfriends and we had to use the dinette bed, depriving us of breakfast use of the dinette and requiring us to climb over suitcases to get to the beds, it was still awesome. When they got married and joined us whenever they could (usually just for a day here and there), it remained awesome, both when they were in camp and when it was "just us two." So while I understand AquaMan's sentiment, I also totally appreciate the OP's position, too.

To be clear, there is literally NOTHING I treasure more than time away with just my DW. Again, full disclosure requires admitting my DW does not always see the calculus the same as do I. She has the "mom gene" and there is no turning it off, nor would I want to do so. I'm happiest when she is happy first, and I've learned to forego time alone with her if she wants instead to gather together with the clan, which time she ALWAYS makes wonderful for all of us.

We have now squarely entered that phase of life where our married children are joining us intermittently with children of their own, a trend I imagine (and hope) will increase with time as we share our love of camping with our grandkids.

So having circled the block a few times and seen the view from multiple perspectives, I can only say there is a season for all these things and they are all awesome in their own way. Life is just like that, if you allow it to be. Now I find myself enjoying the best of all these things. Here's the trick: I just have to camp more than our kids can possibly stand, so as to ensure there are times where it is just me and the DW. It is tough, but I can handle it.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

DW and I have only camped together alone once since we had kids (two under 10yrs old)...though we discuss time to time how neat it'll be to plan and camp once our children are moved on...I will actually miss these adventures we're having now as kids just make you go & explore on a whole different level than as adults!

I think when that day comes, I'll source out my services at each campground to the young couple with kids, to wake up early and experience kids enthusiastic morning exploration/hike/bike ride so the parents can sleep in

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

You guys are sweet!

We recently had our first child and dog free trip in the TT. It was pure bliss! Nice, quiet, and stress-free! Aaaaaaahhh!

Did I miss the child and dog? Not really. But then, it was my first "break" from them in a very LONG time.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #9

Wifey and I both miss camping with the three kids. Some of our fondest memories is watching the kids eyes light up when we pulled into the campground. We hardly got thru the gates when the kids got out to run and find our campsite. Now that the kids are older and 2 don't live nearby any more, Wifey and I enjoy the solitude and adult conversation and cocktails throughout the day. It's two different lifestyles and each has it's benefits. Our youngest daughter, now 21, enjoys driving to meet us at a campground and stay overnight. She's still our baby girl, but now more our equal, not our lil' kid. Like the OP stated, time flies. Enjoy the lil' ones while you can. Family time makes for some very special memories.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy our time away, but surely hope that when we are finally empty nesters, the kids/grandkids will always be around for campouts.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #11

Wow! Memories of family camping! Yes there are weekends the wife and I still climb over suitcases, slide past a port-a-crib, and step over bouncy chairs or take a number for the bathroom! Would my wife and I trade any of those memories not at all!
Do we enjoy our quiet weekends when it is just the two of us.
YES!
Children and even grandchildren grow up way too fast so enjoy your time with them!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #12

We are right on that border now with our DD. She is 14, and will be 15 in Feb. For most regular 2 night weekend trips she usually goes with her friends and stays there. That has been SOP for a while now. It definitely does change the 'agenda' so to speak when it is just DW and I. Sometimes we so enjoy it being just us, then others we miss her like crazy.

Our extended family vacations are just still mandatory for DD, and we do look forward to them without question. With that being said the new fifth wheel gives us the ability to stretch out and give each other a little space also. Best of both worlds I guess.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Our family camping has come back to pay dividends. Our youngest is 25 and the oldest is now 30.
A few months ago as we were informing our neighbor as to our latest trip he asked my wife and I how we did it, with puzzled looks we ask what? He went on to say that our children would drive hours to come and spent time the weekend with us and his children live within 15 minutes of him and he can not get them to come over for dinner.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our family vacations aren't with just out own kids, we usually end up with a couple extras to the point I have to arrange alternate transportation for everyone to get where we are going. I have a waiting list for Ft wilderness for spring break. At this point I may have to fly a couple of them down.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #15

While we are now going on our 4th year of "adult camping", (except for occasional visits) we find we are missing the youngsters more so than not. (ages 6-40) Life we have found out, is is getting to be just a little too short. We have made plans for 4 of the 6 grand daughters to have an extended stay with us. Besides, we can always send them back to the dangers of civilization when ever we want.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #16

I am always happy to see the families camping with their children and having such a great experience together. Our 3 children are all grown, we started camping when they were just toddlers in a borrowed tent, then bought our own, finally upgrading to a small popup in teen years. Our first trip in it was to the Outer Banks in NC. They had a ball, first time to the ocean for them, what a experience. Now they are pushing 50 and often talk about those fond memories. Now when we snowbird, our daughter always fly's down to spend a week in our motorhome and 1 or more meets up with us. We have taken children and grandchildren that was priceless and now just my DH and our kid dog which is also priceless. The family that camps together stays together. Hope all of you have fun camping with your kids.
Sunnyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #17

Excellent thread!!! You all are right on with how you describe the camping life, some of you are so eloquent in you descriptions that you should write a book, seriously! My wife an i camped alone more the last two years, love it, but always good when the kids and others come for the weekend or just the night. Our oldest son just got married in September, so grand kids could be coming any time. The middle son just graduated college in may, and works for John Deere over 6 hours south of us, so we go south and he and the girl friend come north when they can. Our youngest daughter, now that's a whole nother story! But i digress. Bottom line Camping is Great, cant wait till next spring!!!
Rodney Butalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #18

It's Sunday morning and the last day of adult camping for us. Just a short trip to Normandy Farms for the weekend. Spent the day Christmas Shopping at Bass Pro Shops then got a surprise visit from all of our kids, all in their 20's. Well, after breakfast, time to relax a little then pull the levers, drain the water lines and winterize the camper.
Spring will be here soon.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #19

I can remember when my dad bought his first trailer .He order it from a Spigails Catalog and it was deliver by UPS to are house back in the late sixties.All it was a box with two beds that sled out.He had to make a couple of tables for it and the rest is history.They came a long way since then.He went through about seven trailers since then and I am on my third.We went to Virgina a couple of times then Uniontown Mountains a lot I still go to the mountains a lot. Im planning to go up there for the 3 holidays this yr to.It brings back memories.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #20

Some of us have camping in our bones, some (young and old) have just recently discovered the joys of camping and travelling. Others, have spent years seasonal camping. Some of of us even have friends that can't understand why we go camping or old friends that camped a few times, then gave it up. We even have friends that go camping but we don't go with them because we don't want to spend time with them. Then, we have friends that we have camped with, camped with their friends and made more friends and even became better friends with some of our friends friends that we went camping with.

It's funny how some things work out. When I was growingup, we went camping every summer on Cape Cod. Out of three boys, I am the only one that still goes camping. We have taken our neices and nephews on numerous camping trips and hve only been able to get my brothers to go once in the past 20 years. They must not have the bug. Their kids do though. My parents are 77 and 79 and they will go with us on a moments notice, but just for a weekend and usually just once a season. Thats ok.

When you go adult camping, you can just go for the weekend, you can pack your stuff and go for however long you want and wherever you want. But, it is still adult camping and it can be spur of the moment or a trp that is planned out in every detail for months. Here are a few things I like about adult camping:

You don't leave on Friday afternoon after school gets out. You either leave Thursday night or first thing friday morning, (if it's a weekend trip).
It is way easier to organize a full blown caravan of RV's heading for your destination of choice.
Nobody tells us when to go to bed and we get to be the last ones at the fire.
Now we can get a site with full hook ups and the cable TV actually works.
You can pay $39.95 per month for a dich network tailgater package and spend every weekend on the phone with tech support.
When we cook 10 pounds of lobster and steamers, we can drink and not worry about one of the kids getting too close to the boiling water.
If we are driving down the highway, in an RV caravan and one of us gets a flat tire that complety anialates the undercarraige of the camper while the tire sheds to peices, the wives don't have to scramble to get all of the kids out of the tow vehicles and get them away from the side of the road while the guys figure out what to do.
Some of the campgrounds we go to have pretty good breakfast. When the guys wake up, we put a pair of shoes on the bottom step to signal to the other husbands that we are in for a breakfast run. Around 7:00 am, we wander down to the kitchen for breakfast and eat as much bacon, eggs and crap that we can handle. If the campground does't serve breakfast, then we venture out to a breakfast place nearby And whoever is sober enough to drive doesn't have to pay.
None of our friends say, "can you really tow that camper with your truck?" They just stay in front of the caravan.
At the end of camping season, we have plenty of tricuits, cheese, cereal, beans, canned fruit, paper plates, napkins, paper towels, cookies, peanuts, firewood, and other stuff to take tailgating to the next few Patriots Games in late November through January.
When someone needs a "shot", it's not a tetanus shot. A whole new meaning to the results of a "rusty nail"
When we were kids camping, we used to walk around looking for girls, now we walk around looking for our next RV.
If we have planned a weekend trip, we still pack for four days
If we plan a week long trip, we pack like it's the end of the world.
If we go driveway camping, we don't have to pack anything, it's already there
We now ejoy the beauty of express check-in because we actually have money
We bring enough firewood and buy two bundles from the campground just to support them, but don't burn what we buy.
We camp until Sunday, but don't even bother to dump the tanks since we will be camping again in two more days and we can do it then.
When we check in we say " Yes, 2 adults, but...........our kids and their friends may show up for the day on Saturday, so here's fifty bucks for them.
When we check out, we say, see you tomorrow
When it rains, we can always find something to do and nobody cries.

Somebody please find me another subject to write about

Happy Adult Camping
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough