Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #91

I've had a variety of RV's over 20 years - from little trailers to big diesel motorhomes. By far, I've enjoyed the small trailers the most. They are just so delightfully simple and really require just the minimum of maintenance. Doesn't hurt that they are pretty cheap too.

The secret to keeping happy with your RV is to keep it stored under cover. I don't care what anyone says about them being built to stay outside, the weather is just very hard on them when they are parked outside. Even a cheapo popup will give you many years of service if properly protected from the elements.

I'm prepping my new Surveyor 189 for it's first trip tomorrow. I'm very excited about this one and so far, nothing found out of order.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #92

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I wanted to chime in on my FR 28BHG "Patriot Edition". I'm currently in Omaha but will be returning to Georgia in a few months. I have been living in it full time for the past 43 days and will be until I leave.

I have to say I'm very pleased so far and have had no significant issues. The exterior vinyl trim has cracked and fallen off (most likely due to UV exposure) but my dealer, A C Nelsen, has supplied new trim for me to replace it. Other than that everything has been great. I love the amount of storage (having the "garage" in back is wonderful!) and the slide makes a huge difference.

With the 100 plus degrees we've been having it's been staying about 81-82 inside. We've also had some severe thunderstorms with hail and everything has held up well. I inspect it almost daily.

I probably have less than 30 miles on it so I can't speak to road wear, but living in it has been a great pleasure.

A friend of mine bought a Patriot right after I did and took it to Colorado Springs for two weeks. They reported no issues during their journey.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #93

Yep, my FR Grey Wolf 26RL has been great! Had a Thor Dutchmen 24 previously. The FR product is built as well as the Thor, more room, easier tow, better bed, a little small on outside storage compartment (but how much junk do you really need on the TT anyway?), way better dinette and couch arrangement as well as TWO EASY CHAIRS! Not too bad for a retired Navy guy. Good customer support and other than tires, no real problems.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn
.....other than tires, no real problems.
Tires will always be any manufacturers issue :roflback:
Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #95

We love our 2009 Sabre 31 REDS!
We have been rulltiming in it for the last year and a half!
There have been some issues, they all have them! But between our great
dealer and Forest River everything has been taken care of, no grief.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #96

I want to chime in on this one now that we got the "G-Dub" well broken in this last month or so.

3000 miles and 3 weeks living in our Grey Wolf and not one problem (from the trailer at least). Even the Trail Express tires held up great. They did get balanced before the trip, though. I would definitely recommend doing that. They wore even and held good pressure while traveling. (I had to add exactly 3 lbs to every tire after it sat at the cg for the two and a half weeks *shrug*). Overall, I couldn't be happier with our purchase. Great trailer for the price and it took quite a beating with 2000 miles of the Trans-Can highway and not even a trim piece loose. It was a great home away from home for us!
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #97

I sure can't complain about my new Camper. I picked up my 2013 Flagstaff 26RLSS back in May and have been in it now for 12 days over 3 trips. Not a single real problem (and I'm knocking on wood right now) I say "real" because I do have one minor irritation with the black tank sensor. But, that's been it so far, which scares me because that doesn't seem to be the norm in the RV industry.
2013 Flagstaff 26RLSS
2012 Days Camped - 20
Sailfish Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #98

I was reading through this thread and decided to add my comments.
This is my first post other than the Welcome Mat.
In 2010, we bought a new R-Pod 176. We pulled it from Ohio to Tenn. and back. Then we took a 22 day trip to Idaho and back.
This year, 2012, we went to Arizona and Utah for a 19 day trip.
We really liked the R-Pod and we received positive comments from our neighbors at every camp sight. There were a couple draw backs. For 1, we chose the wrong floor plan. It had the bunk beds in the front and a dinette that made a bed in the rear. Multiple daily set-ups of the table became a hassle after awhile. Would have been happier with the dinette in the front and a bed in the back. The dinette cushions became uncomfortable after a few days on the road.
The other drawback was the size of the bathroom. Pretty small for this 6'0" & 230# guy. The overall quality of the unit was very good.
Last month, we traded the R-Pod in on a 2013 Vibe 6501. Again, it has the usual quality that you expect from FR. It has more space to move around. There is a dinette in the front and a elevated bed area the back complete with a regular queen size mattress.
We are looking forward to taking it out but at this point, we're very pleased.
The R-Pod dry weight was 2200+ and the Vibe is about 700# heavier. I see very little difference in how it tows.
The negative part of our camping experience has been with the tow vehicle. We started out with the R-Pod and a Honda Pilot. It was rated for a 3500# trailer but when we got in the Smokey Mountains, we had a transmission high temp warning light. Then we traded for a Ford F-150 4X4 with the 4.6 liter V8. It worked well until we started across the mid-west with a 40 mph head wind. It didn't get any better when we got into the Rocky's. Just didn't have enough hp.
Now we have a Ford F-150 2X4 with the 5.4 liter V-8 engine and I believe it will work just fine.
Looking forward to our next trip.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I was reading through this thread and decided to add my comments.
This is my first post other than the Welcome Mat.
In 2010, we bought a new R-Pod 176. We pulled it from Ohio to Tenn. and back. Then we took a 22 day trip to Idaho and back.
This year, 2012, we went to Arizona and Utah for a 19 day trip.
We really liked the R-Pod and we received positive comments from our neighbors at every camp sight. There were a couple draw backs. For 1, we chose the wrong floor plan. It had the bunk beds in the front and a dinette that made a bed in the rear. Multiple daily set-ups of the table became a hassle after awhile. Would have been happier with the dinette in the front and a bed in the back. The dinette cushions became uncomfortable after a few days on the road.
The other drawback was the size of the bathroom. Pretty small for this 6'0" & 230# guy. The overall quality of the unit was very good.
Last month, we traded the R-Pod in on a 2013 Vibe 6501. Again, it has the usual quality that you expect from FR. It has more space to move around. There is a dinette in the front and a elevated bed area the back complete with a regular queen size mattress.
We are looking forward to taking it out but at this point, we're very pleased.
The R-Pod dry weight was 2200+ and the Vibe is about 700# heavier. I see very little difference in how it tows.
The negative part of our camping experience has been with the tow vehicle. We started out with the R-Pod and a Honda Pilot. It was rated for a 3500# trailer but when we got in the Smokey Mountains, we had a transmission high temp warning light. Then we traded for a Ford F-150 4X4 with the 4.6 liter V8. It worked well until we started across the mid-west with a 40 mph head wind. It didn't get any better when we got into the Rocky's. Just didn't have enough hp.
Now we have a Ford F-150 2X4 with the 5.4 liter V-8 engine and I believe it will work just fine.
Looking forward to our next trip.

Welcome...and at 2800#'s dry i'd be surprised if you even felt it back there. Im loaded up at about 8000# with my 2010 F150 4x4 5.4L. I know it's back there but it pulls it just fine. Biggest hills I tackled were in Galena, IL. but some of them are pretty steep and big. Steep enough to have runaway truck pull offs every now and then. It did fine on the hills...and got between 9.8 to 10.8mpg doing it.

I would imagine that 5.4 is a big difference from the 4.6....enjoy!
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #100

We love our FR 2012 Sandpiper 330 Rl

This is only our second month for our new 5th and we could not be happier with our choice. The fact that we where able to get a great deal on it also helped.
It was actually a unit that some one added a whole bunch of options to and never took possession because of financing problem. Including a picture of my favorite Kitchen in 5th ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	118_2091.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	18428   Click image for larger version

Name:	118_2137.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	18429   Click image for larger version

Name:	118_2145.jpg
Views:	113