Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #21

My turn! For years, we dreamed about getting a travel trailer. Especially on those rainy, cold fall nights when we'd open the zipper on our tent for what seemed like the millionth time and crawl in to a damp sleeping bag.

Last year, after more than 20 years in a tent, our dream became a reality. For the year prior, we researched floor plans, manufacturers and went to RV shows to figure out what we wanted and what we didn't want. The 8293RKSS fit the bill perfectly and we absolutely love it! As with others, we've had a few minor issues; nothing that couldn't be handled by my very handy DH or our dealer.

We camped 61 days last year and are on pace to match or exceed that this year. In fact, this past weekend was the only weekend in May we're not camping!

There are a couple of things I don't like ....the vinyl flooring is difficult to keep clean because of the "pebbly" texture and the carpet is cheap. I see a project in the next couple of years to replace with laminate flooring. But I didn't expect top of the line materials because we didn't pay for top-of-the line. We stayed within our budget and for the money, you can't beat the quality.

We love, love, love the outside kitchen!! But really, when it comes down to it, after tenting, how could you NOT love a unit with 3 televisions, 2 microwaves, 2 stoves, air conditioning, heat, a real bed, etc.? LOL.

We'd buy another FR product in a heartbeat. And when its time to upgrade, we'll stay with the FR family.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
Wanderluster

Count us as happy Forest River product owners. Our 2010 Sunseeker 2300 class C has had no construction or assembly problems. We drive a lot of gravel roads and it's holding together wonderfully!

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #23

We like our Windjammer. Because we are full-timers we needed a large closet space which the floor plan provided. We looked for over 5 months before we purchased the Forest River product. We compared all the different models and companies. Forest River products looked to be of a higher quality especially in the entry level units. We have had TT made by other manufactures and they all have the same problems. The only problem we had was a losing a bearing on the highway. This was not a FR problem but a dealer putting the bearings on too tight after having them repacked. Went we decide to replace the TT it will be with another Forest River product.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We love our 2008 SV235RKS Surveyor. We've towed it all over God's creation and over some incredibly rough and nasty forest service roads; in the middle of nowhere. Over 25,000 miles on it. Everything works as it should. Couldn't be happier.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #25

Let's hope as many people read this POSITIVE tread as they read the ones outlining problems...

We purchase a 2010 Shamrock 19 in the fall of '09 and ended up getting an '11 in the spring of '10. Going on our 3rd season.

WE LOVE IT!

A few little issues with the radio and the LP detector, but all replaced under warranty. I am actually surprised of the quality, I expected more issues. A bit of handyman, I love to maintain it, which for me is a big part of RV'ing.

There's just the 2 of us and we like to convenient size, once open it is as big inside as a 24 foot trailer.

Friends of ours have a 30 foot TT, and let me tell you that it is a BIG unit to deal with. Issues: storing, towing in the city (to get out...), parking, fueling up, finding a site in a campground, prep work at home, height, etc. I think that deep down they regret it, should have gone a tad smaller.

We are SOOOO happy with ours.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #26

Great thread
Our 2012 3150BHD is the very first camper we ever earned. I recall my day using an old popup back in the late 70's and he absolutely hated it. My sons and I do Boy Scout camping once a month. The wife and daughter wanted to enjoy some time as well. I didn't feel right making them sleep on the ground so a camper seemed like reasonable option. Our desires grew... we wanted one with A/C for those hot summer days. We wanted one with a shower so we could avoid shower houses.. so at the time we where thinking a hybrid. After looking at many campers, we setting of the large floor plan of the 3150. It provides our 3 kids their own little hang out during bad weather. We looked at a Passport and the Tracer as they both had very similar floor plans and weights. The Tracer won do to overall fit finish a fashion. I have never once had a second though about our purchase. I wanted a couple items to look like they were factory installed and PT was pleased to help.

This is our second year of taking it out and we have had no problems up to date. With a forum like this, I think all my maintenance questions will be answered and I expect to keep my TT for quite some time.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #27

We were pretty much always going to get a Forest River since some close friends had a rockwood ultra light. When we came across this 2012 Cherokee 264L we fell in love. The perfect floor plan, the power bunk in the slide, everything is great. It looks nice on the outside and nice on the inside. Like everyone there have been issues, but all so minor I will never lose sleep over it. I know almost all of our friends are envious for the price we paid on a new trailer this size.
Barnman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #28

Bought a Forest River Salem Villa Estate 392 flfb last May (2011) Just dewinterized this past weekend ( Canada) and had one leak. It was my own fault as i forgot about the ice maker in the freezer. Also had Concertone radio replaced (warrenty) Other than that, we are quite pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03281.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	13759  
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Am I a happy FR owner. Yes and I've had some problems along the way but they've have always done their best to rememedy any issues. I'm dealing with one right now and haven't heard back but I feel confident they will do what's right. We love the layout of the coach and see some features on the newer models we wish were available back when we purchased ours but that's with any product. They continue to evolve. We like the new 335DS, "L" shape sofa. I can see me watching TV through the back of my eyelids now. I've sent emails to FR about the issues I've encountered and they have always responded with a thanks and said it will be brought to the attention of the production foreman. I would hope others have experienced the same and with this new found information corrections can be incorporated during the build phase.
One thing I still think FR needs to do is a Survey their customers about what they do right vs. what needs improvement.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Many folks come here to learn about Forest River products before they buy one and get concerned because they see so many problems and issues here.

The problem and warranty posts fly hot and heavy, especially in the Spring, when campers are being prepared after a winter of sleep and are cranky waking up.

New members who just bought their camper are now worried they bought a bad product and potential buyers are scared off because all they see are the complaints. Triguy has the right idea. So I started this thread in the Lifestyle section to let those who love their camper to let the world know that they do.

If you love your camper; post here and tell the rest of us why you do.
I will go first.

Yep I am with you I love my Forest River Palomino 32bhok-6 !
Even with the minor warranty issues I would have a problem considering any other unit at this point .
IMO the quality of my unit is great . I believe if I designed campers this is what I would have come up with !
Forest River makes one quailty unit !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #31

Ok my turn, my wife and I just got back from 7 days of camping in our sp240(2012) and it was great it did all we wanted and more. We had rain, cold, sunny, and hot all in one week and we never had any problems. This was our first long trip that we got to try out everything and nothing was wrong everything worked like it is supposed to. The outside kitchen is the best item for me ( we call it the man kitchen) and the large real bathroom was great for my wife. I got great comments where ever we went.
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #32

After owning 2 pop-ups from Forest River, we decided to upgrade to our Roo 21SS, love it, love it, love it........one reason, as we get older, the bathroom sure is handy! And we still like the canvas over our head.......will buy nothing else but Forest River products!
2012 Roo 21SS
bowtang2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #33

Herk comes through again. Always there with helpful tips and a wealth of knowledge and now a thread that is most appropriate. We have had our Windjammer 3008W for a year now and love the floor plan; especially the atrium windows. We were looking seriously at Jayco and to buy this time of year in 2012. We ran across the Windjammer line by chance on a Friday morning and on Saturday afternoon we owned it. Rockwood quality is much higher than what we saw in numerous other trailers and are having the time of our lives. Spent this last weekend at home after 3 straight weekends out and the trailer kept calling my name while I was doing yard work. Come on Memorial Day weekend!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #34

I've had four F/R's, and would get another in a heartbeat.

The first was a 1995 Wildwood 265-SS Fiver, built in the California Plant. These were bottom-of-the-line, but very affordable, and fairly feature laden. My only complaint was that we had to open the slide a tad to use the potty on the road.

The second was a 1999 325-DS Fiver, and I had no complaints at all about this guy. It even had twin Lazy Boy Vibrating recliners! I traded it in on a 2000 Georgetown 346-SS, which was fine, until I found the one I have now, the 2005 342-DS. More features, and a lot ore room, even though it's 4" shorter.

It had 13,000 on it when we bought it. The stove, oven and micro had never been used. It had been through a BK dealer, and taken to a lot of shows.

Not much browser wear, but had some problems with the Lippert pump. The 100-A breaker had been blown, and both wires were on the same terminal and only hand-tightened. Caused the slides and levellers to work intermittantly until I found this. I just hit the net and bought a breaker for $35; cheaper than taking it back to the dealer!

The genny had 700 hours on it, as to be expected for a show unit, and I've had to change the brushes, 10 minutes and $30.

Neither of these were F/R problems, and now everything works perfectly, and has for the last year. Been on 20 or so trips to the Mtns., the lake (Isabella), and the ocean without a glitch.

Love it!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #35

We love our 2011 Solera. We have had a few problem, but FR was fast at sending us the parts to make repairs. I did repair work myself.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #36

I think it is worth noting that perfection isn't a pre-requisite for satisfaction. In nearly every case here there were issues, but the fact that they were dealt with in a good way breeds that satisfaction - something that dealers and manufacturers (and not just RVs) should bear in mind.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #37

We've gone from tent -> popup -> hybrid -> TT and finally a 5th wheel. This is our first FR product and we're very happy with the units quality and features.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #38

Like anything, as long as everything goes fine, I love it, but when problems arise, then I 'll probably hate it. So far, luck is on my side except for a small mishap with the rear bumper. Would I buy another FR; no reason not too and probably from either of the 2 previous dealers I purchased FR products from before. Today, I love my FR product.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #39

FR product

My turn. My husband and I purchased our Windjammer 3065 in the fall of 2010. We looked at all different kinds of TT's for about 6 months when we decided, we really liked this TT. Well we are going on our 3rd season camping and we still love it! It was perfect for our family with 7 grandchildren. We had a few warrenty issues and FR came through for us. We just dewinterized it and everything's a go. No problems at all. We are leaving soon for a month long trip to the beach. I would definetly purchase from FR again, when we decide to upgrade to a 5th.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #40

IMHO... Any dealer/manufacturer can "say" they stand behind their product. I've come to believe that words are often cheap.

The real test is when you have a problem... they can't stay on the fence anymore... they have to either do the right thing or not... the good guys come through when you need help!

BEFORE making a purchase, it's helpful to ask people you know if they ever had a problem and how it was (or was not) handled... anyone can have a problem, it's how it's delt with that counts... just my 2 cents.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad