Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

I love my Forest River Product

Many folks come here to learn about Forest River products before they buy one and get concerned because they see so many problems and issues here.

The problem and warranty posts fly hot and heavy, especially in the Spring, when campers are being prepared after a winter of sleep and are cranky waking up.

New members who just bought their camper are now worried they bought a bad product and potential buyers are scared off because all they see are the complaints. Triguy has the right idea. So I started this thread in the Lifestyle section to let those who love their camper to let the world know that they do.

If you love your camper; post here and tell the rest of us why you do.
I will go first.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I really love my Flagstaff

I think the floorplan of my camper is perfect for my wife and I. Even with a 65 pound bundle of energy named Bella, there is plenty of room to hang out and enjoy the world.

Our Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th wheel is perfect for our GMC Sierra crew cab Duramax and towing it is wonderful. While we have had some troubles, some because I had no idea what I was doing when I started, I would not trade my camper for anything (OK, maybe a multi-million dollar Class A - But then I would have to start mod'ing it right away.)

FR you get a from us.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I will be next. Have had our camper for 3 years, and will start 4th season next week-end. A wall in the bathroom with a bubble in the wall paper, but we bought it that way, and was repaired under warranty. The stereo did go out, not a concertone, but also was repaired under warranty. One tire blow out, not the fault of Forrest River. The only other work done has been modifications to fit our lifestyle, and the way we use our camper. Have towed over 4,000 miles, and spent 68 nights in 3 years. Not a lot compared to some, but as many as we could get away. Leaving next week-end to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary, in our camper.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

We just spent our first weekend in our 2013 Roo 25RS and we couldn't be happier. The quality is amazing. We couldn't find a thing wrong with it. We are so happy we bought a Forest River product. My parents are equally as happy with their 2010 Sabre.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Site Team

I've always liked the idea of having a trailer but it was only a dream until recently. With a modest saving account set aside for a trailer I came across my unit unexpectedly and made that dream come true. The funny part is that at first glance it didn't do much for me but as I looked at other trailers I found myself coming back to this trailer. As I left the lot I started picturing myself in it and knew it was the one.

Of couse I think FR makes a nice looking trailer too. As I meet fellow campsite neighbors one comment they always make is about how much room there is in my bathroom compared to their trailer.

Except for the electric tongue jack I haven't had any big issues. The electric tongue jack was an add-on from the dealer and once they replaced it with an upgraded unit there have been zero problems. I have said it many times but my trailer is perfect for me. It allows me to live within my means on a modest income and RV too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

Our grey wolf 28bh "patriot" has been great! Bought it last July, and have spent over 40 nights in it since then! We've had no problems at all, and it pulls great behind our 2004 1/2t suburban. Power tongue jack, awning, and stabilizers are great too!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

My wife and I love our 2011 Forest River Bershire 390rb-40. We have been fulltime living in it since the Wildfire in Bastrop Texas burned our house in September. We've had a few minor problems, but nothing more than owing a house. The value and floorplan are fantastic. Would we buy another one? In a HEARTBEAT!
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #8

Talking

We really enjoy our 2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS. Pulls nice behind our 2006 2500 Dodge.. Besides a minor problem with the tongue jack (covered under warranty) it's been a quality travel trailer. I've done a few of the popular mods and looking for more to make my TT more efficient and I enjoy tinkering.

As a matter of fact, we just got back today from a quick trip down to Branson, Mo

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I guess I will be next. Have had our camper for 3 years, and will start 4th season next week-end. A wall in the bathroom with a bubble in the wall paper, but we bought it that way, and was repaired under warranty. The stereo did go out, not a concertone, but also was repaired under warranty. One tire blow out, not the fault of Forrest River. The only other work done has been modifications to fit our lifestyle, and the way we use our camper. Have towed over 4,000 miles, and spent 68 nights in 3 years. Not a lot compared to some, but as many as we could get away. Leaving next week-end to celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary, in our camper.
Congratulations on your 33rd ann.!!!!

This will be our 3rd season of camping in our trailer. We've had a few minors problems that I fixed myself rather than towing it to the dealer an hour away. We love our FR Sabre and would definitely buy another FR product.
Our duramax handles this trailer very well also and will definitely buy another duramax when that time comes along.

Happy camping everyone
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Many folks come here to learn about Forest River products before they buy one and get concerned because they see so many problems and issues here.

The problem and warranty posts fly hot and heavy, especially in the Spring, when campers are being prepared after a winter of sleep and are cranky waking up.

New members who just bought their camper are now worried they bought a bad product and potential buyers are scared off because all they see are the complaints. Triguy has the right idea. So I started this thread in the Lifestyle section to let those who love their camper to let the world know that they do.

If you love your camper; post here and tell the rest of us why you do.
I will go first.
Thanks Herk. You nailed it. I've been on here a month or so and pretty much have my wife agreeing to a Georgetown 378 after she finally got to see one in person. I was nearly scared off a few times after reading some of these horror stories. I'm still hanging in there and need to wait until a condo I own sells before I can buy.
That said, I'm a junky for info and have learned what to look for while lurking here.
gredmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
Submarines once..........

We bought our Rockwood 2280 PUP new in the spring of 2008. We had two issues and one was because I was clueless at the time and a valve for winterizing the hot water heater was open. The other was minor and quickly fixed by the dealer. I love this camper and we would be enjoying it for years to come but our small family has grown and the PUP has become to small for us especially on rainy days. But the quality and customer service we received with the PUP has lead us back to Forest River with a 2013 Rockwood Roo 233s that we pick up in just over a week. So here is to many more years of happy camping memories
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. A thread dedicated to the good stuff. Nice

I've had a few trailers and am happy to report that we have had no lasting issues with our latest Flagstaff. All is good.

I will go one step further and admit that I even like the service department at Scenic Traveler RV (knock on wood).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #13

Excellent thread. Too many people are expecting too much when they purchase RV's. The lackluster quality of craftmanship is uniform thruout the industry. Understanding this is the first step towards pleasurable RV ownership..! I also think buyer's remorse sets in on a few who actually overload themselves financially with their purchase and then take it out on the manufacturer and dealer. We LOVE our '08 Georgetown GT350TS. Can't remember all the nit-pic stuff I have fixed on it, but I do remember all the good times spent in it.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #14

I like my FR product. I bought an 829FKSS in May of 07, and had a couple of minor issues. Anything that goes down an assembly line, and has 200 people touching it is bound to have a flaw somewhere. My bathroom cold water faucet had almost no flow, sawdust was found in the connection at the faucet. I had a goofy overflow preventer in one gas bottle that would not let the bottle empty. The fridge didn't start because of no gas flow, and I lost some food. I blew a tire (I call them Chinese Maypops) within the first 30 days. That was at a time when it was a known problem that the Chinese manufacturers were not adding enough of a component in the tire making process.
Bottom line, everything was taken care of by FR and my local dealer. I don't feel there was anything out of the ordinary (I have returned a GMC "professional grade" Envoy more than 10 times during the first year for warranty work), or anything to develop a bad feeling about FR products. In fact, I've just traded the FKSS in on a 30WRLTSA that I'm picking up Saturday. I'm a very particular person. I like things the way I like them, and am very meticulous about detail, maintenance and quality. I am a repeat customer... I would say that easily speaks volumes about the quality, features, and reliability of FR stuff.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #15

Happy campers here!...We have always told others that if we even had a million dollars to spend, we would still get the Wolf Pack 285 that we have now.
A RV is like a house; a house is never finished and a RV will always have something that needs to be tightened. Besides, it's fun doing the little mods here and there in the camper.
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
What a great thread Herk!

Why do we love our Forest River unit?

Well first of all... its a toy hauler.. for us that was a big deal! For our toys, 1968 Triumph Bonneville, 2009 Triumph Bonneville T100 and our canoe. And NO they can;t all go at the same time...but at least we can take ONE of our toys.

Our Graywolf 19RR is small... I can tow and park it with no problem. We can get into spots some bigger unit can't. Just the right size for me, my hubby and two fur babies.
Its not fancy, doesn't have lots of bell and whistles, just good solid basics. Besides we camping... time to be outside!

I like the FULL bathroom with the separate shower/bath, toilet and bath vanity with a sink. Like a REAL bathroom! It does have a queen size bed... but would really have liked a bed we could have walked around.... but there are trade off for everything.

The price was a big part too. We looked at used units and new units...and this little camper had everything we wanted and didn't break the bank! Yeah.. I know there are better built units out there with MORE stuff...but face it... how much do you use your camper? We are luck if we get 3 days a month with a few 5-7 day trips in between.

If you take care of your unit.. it will last better... don't OVER LOAD your camper! Like in backpacking... weight is everything!

Forest River has been good to us and for us. We have no major complaints. Our dealer is in Indiana and we are in Georgia... but I can honestly say they have been wonderful. Always take our calls, help with questions and help resolve any problems we may have had. Also here in Jasper Ga there is a small private dealer with the BEST service department around!

We are looking forward to going to the Rally in Goshen this summer... hope to see y'all there!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #17

We purchased our Prime Time LaCrosse 303RKS after visiting several dealer lots and a couple of RV shows. I also did as much research as I could on the internet. This was our 4th RV purchase, so we kind of knew what we were looking for.
I felt this was the best tt for our money and 1½ years later I still feel the same. Like most we had a few minor issues to work out, but since then the tt has worked as it is designed to. As you have read on this forum, Prime Time has been excellent when it comes to customer service.
The rear kitchen floorplan has been a perfect fit for our camping style. As my wife stated when we first looked at the trailer, "We could live in this". There's plenty of room even when the grandkids are with us.
Standard features such as the universal docking station, slam shut baggage doors, hot water electric switch inside the tt and the keypad are nice features not normally found on most tt's.
If we had it to do over again, we wouldn't change a thing.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #18

Thumbs up Thanks To All

Having tent and PUP camped for 20 years, buying a hybrid was something we considered last year. I agree with other "postings" here -- reading too much regarding "issues" with FR might frighten people away from FR products. As a retired English teacher, "reading too much" sounds negative. But as I started reading posts at this site last year, I worried far too much over "issues" addressed here.

Our 233S is outstanding and RVOne in Orlando reps have answered far too many questions from me over my "petty concerns". Even if a very negative experience is written about at this site, we all chip in with advice as to how to handle the situation.

I have spent more time than I should "visiting" sites on the web that are labeled "helpful" to the consumer. By my standards, the group that monitors and advises on this site is an amazing collection of people. Enthusiasts exist for all types of endeavors, but our "posters" are a special group.

I guess this is a positive thread to thank all who held my hand through my concerns before I got my 233S. Because of this site, I learned a whole new language -- DW, DH, TV (not the electronic one), PUP, FR, etc. -- and found alot of new FROG friends.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

We've had our Cat just over 2 years now and love it. We've had some minor issues like the wood filings showing up on cabinet tops and floors, and screws loose or missing. Other minor issues. The AM/FM quit working on the Concertone, but just started working again recently. No idea why, but whatever. But nothing major. We looked at many different floorplans but kept coming back to this one because it worked for us. Other than a bit of a tight squeeze in the "throne room", and we took out the sleeper sofa and put in a Lazy Boy recliner, we love everything about this camper. We'll have it a while.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
DDC

I am on my fourth new trailer over a 19 year period,I have a 2012 264 sv surveyor and I am very happy with it, we have had some minor warranty work done on cosmetic issues but no more than was done to the other new ones over the years. I think over all most trailers are put together reasonably well, the companies have a quality control problem (and it's not unique to forest river) they use the dealers for Q A so if you don't have a good dealer it gets reflected back on the manufacturer.
I pull my 264 with a 2010 Chev Avalanche I installed an extra trans. oil cooler that has a separate fan because I like to keep the tranny as cool as possible the trailer pulls very well and is hooked up via a hensley hitch that has been moved from trailer to trailer, we have camped 52 nights in this trailer so far and it's gave no problems.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad