Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
saus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 333
inside temperature monitor for pets

We have a new puppy that we have been taking camping with us. We are concerned that, if we go out to dinner or something like that, that something could happen to the power or A/C and the inside temperature would get to hot for him. Does anyone have a good temperature monitor that they use that seems reliable? WiFi is always questionable, if available at all, at a lot of the parks we go to. Are there any monitors that work using cell service rather than WiFi? Thanks in advance for any advice.
__________________

__________________
2016 Forest River Wildcat 314BHX
2018 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
xgarys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 241
Any alarm company should be able to set you up with a control panel and temp sensor that uses a cellular com link. You will however need to set up a cell phone account for it though. If you have an existing plan that allows you to add additional phones you may be able to take advantage of that to reduce your monthly expense.

I share your concern for your dog. We never leave ours unattended for more than an hour or two.
__________________

xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
We have a new puppy that we have been taking camping with us. We are concerned that, if we go out to dinner or something like that, that something could happen to the power or A/C and the inside temperature would get to hot for him. Does anyone have a good temperature monitor that they use that seems reliable? WiFi is always questionable, if available at all, at a lot of the parks we go to. Are there any monitors that work using cell service rather than WiFi? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I use an iSocket 3g device. It runs on GSM network using a pre-paid sim. I get notifications based on the thresholds that I set. I set a power on/off warning text/phone call and a temp min and max warning text/phone call. It notifies both my wife and I. So as long as there is GSM service where the trailer is and where we are with our phones it works. Even if we dropped service on our phones temporarily, texts will always come through. When not traveling, I use it in my house to monitor the power.

It is probably cheaper than a security company, unless you already have one of those.

Check it out here: https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

Chris
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
xgarys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 241
Sounds perfect- thanks.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
saus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: FL
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
I use an iSocket 3g device. It runs on GSM network using a pre-paid sim. I get notifications based on the thresholds that I set. I set a power on/off warning text/phone call and a temp min and max warning text/phone call. It notifies both my wife and I. So as long as there is GSM service where the trailer is and where we are with our phones it works. Even if we dropped service on our phones temporarily, texts will always come through. When not traveling, I use it in my house to monitor the power.



It is probably cheaper than a security company, unless you already have one of those.



Check it out here: https://www.isocket3g.com/us/



Chris


Thanks for this information, I will surely check into it.
__________________
2016 Forest River Wildcat 314BHX
2018 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5
Here is another option to consider, I ordered this for an empty house and saw a lot of comments about using it in an RV. MarCELL 500 though Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Szucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,597
I use the Alfred app. We plug my wife's cell phone into power to keep the battery charged and point it at a thermometer. I check with Alfred on my cell and can see the temp and hear any noise. Free!
__________________
2019 Montana 3761 FL
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 LB Dually
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szucker View Post
Here is another option to consider, I ordered this for an empty house and saw a lot of comments about using it in an RV. MarCELL 500 though Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That looks interesting! Thanks for sharing an alternative.

I will add that the iSocket 3g uses a sim card. There are a lot more alert options than what I listed. What I really like is there is no middle man or third party company short of the cell phone network. It works just like a cell phone. there is an app I use that allows me to send a text to the device and it will respond instantly.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 479
I use this but you need to be at a park with WIFI or have your own RV WIFI. No monthly fees.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
DYNAMAX 2016 FORCE HD
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hotsprings, Ar
Posts: 147
We use MarCell 500 and like it very much. Will send message by text, email and phone. Will tell you when power is out, temperature and or humidity is out of range.

When not using in the motor home we use it in the house.
__________________

db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.