Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

inside temperature monitor for pets

We have a new puppy that we have been taking camping with us. We are concerned that, if we go out to dinner or something like that, that something could happen to the power or A/C and the inside temperature would get to hot for him. Does anyone have a good temperature monitor that they use that seems reliable? WiFi is always questionable, if available at all, at a lot of the parks we go to. Are there any monitors that work using cell service rather than WiFi? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

Any alarm company should be able to set you up with a control panel and temp sensor that uses a cellular com link. You will however need to set up a cell phone account for it though. If you have an existing plan that allows you to add additional phones you may be able to take advantage of that to reduce your monthly expense.

I share your concern for your dog. We never leave ours unattended for more than an hour or two.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saus View Post
We have a new puppy that we have been taking camping with us. We are concerned that, if we go out to dinner or something like that, that something could happen to the power or A/C and the inside temperature would get to hot for him. Does anyone have a good temperature monitor that they use that seems reliable? WiFi is always questionable, if available at all, at a lot of the parks we go to. Are there any monitors that work using cell service rather than WiFi? Thanks in advance for any advice.
I use an iSocket 3g device. It runs on GSM network using a pre-paid sim. I get notifications based on the thresholds that I set. I set a power on/off warning text/phone call and a temp min and max warning text/phone call. It notifies both my wife and I. So as long as there is GSM service where the trailer is and where we are with our phones it works. Even if we dropped service on our phones temporarily, texts will always come through. When not traveling, I use it in my house to monitor the power.

It is probably cheaper than a security company, unless you already have one of those.

Check it out here: https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

Chris
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Sounds perfect- thanks.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
I use an iSocket 3g device. It runs on GSM network using a pre-paid sim. I get notifications based on the thresholds that I set. I set a power on/off warning text/phone call and a temp min and max warning text/phone call. It notifies both my wife and I. So as long as there is GSM service where the trailer is and where we are with our phones it works. Even if we dropped service on our phones temporarily, texts will always come through. When not traveling, I use it in my house to monitor the power.

It is probably cheaper than a security company, unless you already have one of those.

Check it out here: https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

Chris

Thanks for this information, I will surely check into it.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

Here is another option to consider, I ordered this for an empty house and saw a lot of comments about using it in an RV. MarCELL 500 though Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Szucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #7

I use the Alfred app. We plug my wife's cell phone into power to keep the battery charged and point it at a thermometer. I check with Alfred on my cell and can see the temp and hear any noise. Free!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szucker View Post
Here is another option to consider, I ordered this for an empty house and saw a lot of comments about using it in an RV. MarCELL 500 though Amazon:

That looks interesting! Thanks for sharing an alternative.

I will add that the iSocket 3g uses a sim card. There are a lot more alert options than what I listed. What I really like is there is no middle man or third party company short of the cell phone network. It works just like a cell phone. there is an app I use that allows me to send a text to the device and it will respond instantly.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #9

I use this but you need to be at a park with WIFI or have your own RV WIFI. No monthly fees.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #10

We use MarCell 500 and like it very much. Will send message by text, email and phone. Will tell you when power is out, temperature and or humidity is out of range.

When not using in the motor home we use it in the house.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #11

RVpetsafety.com - makes one that runs over wireless, and uses an app that you can set - high temp to be notified at, low temp as well. There are 2 versions and plans. The plan can be suspended by you at any time - since we’re now in cooler weather, mine is suspended until mid-May next year.
HelenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #12

Check out Temp Stick from Ideal Sciences. We use it with a Verizon Jet Pack. No fees except for the Jet Pack which we have anyways.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #13

Temp Stick

Last year we also purchased the Temp Stick by Ideal Sciences. We have AT&T and bought the Velocity hot spot. You can buy it for $49 and then use this to hook to your cell phone so you never lose connection and do not need wifi. It doesn't use much data and the customer service is superb. They will help you set everything up. You have to add a phone line for the Velocity. You set it up online with a temperature that you want to be alerted too if the temperature goes over say 75 degrees it will send you alerts every 15 minutes of the actual temperature so you have time to get back to your RV. We love it and it is such a piece of mind to know your fur babies are safe on a hot day. I would highly recommend this product.
lynns24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #14

Cellular Unit

SensoredLife.com sells a cellular unit that we use. Marcell is the brand name. Works great and gives us peace of mind for our pet. Temperature, Humidity and Power are all monitored.

https://www.sensoredlife.com/#/store
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #15
MCTroy

Monitoring the temp is important. We worry about our two dogs when we go out too. On our seasonal site, the campground owner likes dogs. So we have a light that tuns on 110. If the owner doesn't see the light on in our trailer window, she knows the power is off. She calls us then fixes the electric. We also bought a 12V fan. It works great and is a good back should the electric go out.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
padcarroll

I had the same concerns and could not find anything that was 100% reliable by wifi or cell due to varying locations. We opted for a class A with auto generator start by temp. We found this 100% reliable.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #17

Thanks for all of your input

Thanks for all of your input. We are going to purchase a cheap, prepaid smartphone from Walmart and download the Alfred app to it. This way we can leave it plugged in, my wife and I will still be able to take our phones with us, and like CaptnJohn stated, it is free. The only expense is the cheap smartphone and the cost when I ever have to buy more minutes for it. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #18

Try RV Command I am pleased at the ease to set up and the range the cell can transmit we have power outage messages as well as temp limits. The unit is basically a cell phone with no keypad or screen. It works when your cell phone has no signal
lotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #19

Many parks have a rule to not leave a pet in the camper so it or they are prone to barking while you are away, neighbors are not annoyed. Many campers could care less about this rule.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Many parks have a rule to not leave a pet in the camper so it or they are prone to barking while you are away, neighbors are not annoyed. Many campers could care less about this rule.
I could care less as Roscoe will not bark unless someone gets close and makes noise. I can hear any noise with the Alfred app if he is barking and I know the temp inside.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote