Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Keeping in Touch on the Road - my experience and my new Google Nexus 7 tablet

My technology when traveling – using my latest tablet-Google Nexus 7 tablet(nicknamed - Tabby). I hope this may help someone, please ask questions or I am open to suggestions.

I bought a Google Nexus 7 Android tablet($200), looked at a new iPad but it was too expensive, heavy and too big/clumsy in the cab. Google Nexus is light, quick and easy to use. Loved the 7” screen(comparable to Ipad) since it is small can leave it in the cab and am going to mount in the cab for doing the offline Google maps and using the All Stays Camp and RV app.
When on Wireless, I can keep in touch:
• Use Chrome or app for (blogging, twitter, facebook etc)
• Email
• Latitude(Latitude allows certain people to view location)
• Text message free to anywhere in Canada/US with Heywire
• Use Dell Voice, a free program/service from Dell and that gives you a free phone number, free local calling, and free Canadian/US long distance (see list of cities below). The key thing to understand is that calls are made over data networks (an active internet connection) instead of voice minutes. That said, it has the advantage of giving you a real phone number that others can call directly -- even from landlines. Most VOIP services don't have this (at least free).

When on the road without wireless or tethered to phone
• Can use offline Google maps with builtin GPS on Tabby(need to setup while on wireless before hand)
• Kindle reader app for our books, kindle screen broke so now using Google Nexus 7 as well.
• All Stays Camp and RV (Campgrounds plus) app for $6 – I love this app, worth it to find nearest campground and at the same time giving all the information needed to make a decision about how far to drive or where to pull in for the night. I just did a trip from Des Moines to Victoria, BC. Paid for itself many..many times. I would have bought the tablet just for this app. You don’t need to be on wireless but limited information when no data connection. Can find reviews on the campsites, local website information etc once you are on wireless. Free updates, which happens lots. or Allstays Camp and RV | RV Parks Campgrounds From the vendor(no I am not associated to them, I just like the app). Try the #1 camping app. 100% money back if you're not happy. Free updates. Now in it's third year, the most popular camping app gets better all year long. It is the revolutionary app that lets you find and filter both places and services with or without internet. From resorts to parking lots, extensive filters help you find exactly what you want year after year for a one time price and no ads.

I would like to hear what other people use on the road to help with a better experience and keeping in touch. We are planning on another trip in the spring.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote

android, apps, google, nexus, tablet