Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Thumbs up Labor Day Weekend Family Camping

Here's a few pics from our family Labor Day Weekend camping trip.
This was our first time out in our new PT Crusader 315RST. Only two small issues with the trailer. The black tank rinse connection leaks and one of the tank valves has a very slow leak. It is one of the grey tanks, but I will have to check it out further to be sure which one.
Temps did get into the high 90's so the AC's did get a work out. The bedroom stayed cold, but in mid afternoon I noticed the kitchen/living area would get around 77-78 degrees. I set the fan for the bedroom AC to MED trying to force more air into the kitchen/living area. This seemed to help and dropped the temps to 72 in the heat of the day. Both AC's were set to 70 degrees.
Here's some pics of the camper;

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Nice looking Crusader! Huge site too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

Here's some of the fish we caught. I only had 5 jug lines fixed up and we only kept them out for two days. We set them in an old river channel in the lake where it was 45' to 50' deep. We ran the jugs about 6 times and caught a total of 15 blue catfish averaging 8 lbs each. Most were caught on the bottom hook set about 5' off the bottom.
In the last pic we are fixing to do the final cleaning and prepare for cooking. The bottom 4 gallon bags of fillets are the catfish we caught. The top bags are crappie we had put back in our freezer.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #4

Family gathered together for a good fish fry Labor Day afternoon. JMHO.....this is what it's all about.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Nice looking Crusader! Huge site too.
Thanks. We are really liking this trailer. It's our first 5'er.

We camped at Lake Eufaula State Park located in eastern Oklahoma. It's only 15 minutes from our house. Really nice park with large sites and only $23 per night with a one time park fee of $8 for FHU.
Easy access too. About 7-8 miles south of I-40.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

It looks like you had a great time! Our trip last weekend had to be aborted because hurricane Hermine hit us and left us without power for two days. We have a rally to look forward to next week though. Keep on camp'n!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
It looks like you had a great time! Our trip last weekend had to be aborted because hurricane Hermine hit us and left us without power for two days. We have a rally to look forward to next week though. Keep on camp'n!
Oh we did. Always fun when the family gets together. Fishing, tubing, swimming, boat rides and best of all.....sitting around the campfire solving all the world's problems...

Glad that power was all you lost. Enjoy your upcoming trip.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Here's some of the fish we caught. I only had 5 jug lines fixed up and we only kept them out for two days. We set them in an old river channel in the lake where it was 45' to 50' deep. We ran the jugs about 6 times and caught a total of 15 blue catfish averaging 8 lbs each. Most were caught on the bottom hook set about 5' off the bottom.
In the last pic we are fixing to do the final cleaning and prepare for cooking. The bottom 4 gallon bags of fillets are the catfish we caught. The top bags are crappie we had put back in our freezer.

Nice camper and truck, nice batch of fish BUT for me I rather catch my fish with a rod and reel , catfish you can keep, me I will stick with my lake Erie perch and walleye
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Nice camper and truck, nice batch of fish BUT for me I rather catch my fish with a rod and reel , catfish you can keep, me I will stick with my lake Erie perch and walleye
I've heard a lot of good about the perch and walleye you mentioned, but haven't got to try them myself.

I know a few people who do not care for catfish, my DW included. That's why we usually have a few bags of crappie fillets in the freezer. Of course those are caught on rod & reel.

I always do a final cleaning before I cook the catfish. Trimming all the red off and squeezing the fillets under running water. That takes some of the strong taste out of them. When the meat is good and white.....they're ready to cook.
I have converted a few who told me they didn't like catfish.

Jug lining is just another way to fish. We enjoy it.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

Great looking rig and easy to see you all had a great time. Then someone had to mention walleye and perch. I had a charter business on Lake Erie in the '90's. We always had a freezer full of walleye, best tasting fish that swims. Now living on the SE coast of NC ~~ yeah grouper,wahoo, and a few others are tasty but would love a batch of Lake Erie walleye with a few yellow perch.
Written with my mouth watering ~~~
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Oh I love crappies been a long time since I caught a big batch , back when I was a kid my friend and I would catch 300 on a weekend morning in the spring
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Just thought I would mention......

There was actually only 10 of us camping in 3 rigs and 22 people there for the fish fry!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Oh I love crappies been a long time since I caught a big batch , back when I was a kid my friend and I would catch 300 on a weekend morning in the spring
Yep.....find the right spot during their spawn and you can haul 'em in.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #14

Thanks for sharing, nice looking setup! I'm a tad jealous but our camping always ends up just the 3 of us, we can never seem to time it that we all camp at the same time, but hey we have fun too. I'm the only fish eater but never tried catfish, you clean it and cook it up fo me and I'll give it a try.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #15
Ree

Smile Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Hurricane caused us to be evacuated from the FL panhandle. We returned home south of Gainesville.
We still were very wet. Chomping at the bit to get out again! Our tow vehicle did not want to go home either, had to drag her home by AAA. We are all safe and now dry, feeling very blessed!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #16
Ree

Thanks for sharing, beautiful family celebration, rig and yummy looking vittles!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Thanks for sharing, nice looking setup! I'm a tad jealous but our camping always ends up just the 3 of us, we can never seem to time it that we all camp at the same time, but hey we have fun too. I'm the only fish eater but never tried catfish, you clean it and cook it up fo me and I'll give it a try.
Come on down. We never turn anyone away from our campfire or dinner table.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Ree

Thank you! May see you some day! We have family named Rhodes in Colorado.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #19

Great pictures, looks like a fun time and a very nice set up! Thanks for sharing :-) We took our Crusader 315 to the Beach in NC. 15 min from home. We did learn something new about our RV, the black tank wasn't registering the whole time so I decided to switch the toggle from Black 1 to Black2 and it read correctly! We only have the one black tank but the control panel has 1 and 2 on it. So far we are enjoying the Crusader.
2016 F-250
dcr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #20

Awesome new camper. Great looking site. Fantastic on the catch! Getting out there and camping with family and friends is truly priceless.

Tags
camping