Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Lesson learned with young Grandchildren

Hi Everybody,
You'll love this one. When camping with your young grandchildren 4 & 2 do not leave the keys to your trailer inside the trailer. This happened last weekend. Our little Monkeys while trying to open the door saw the red dead bolt lever and obviously tried to use that to open the door. Once latched things went down hill quickly. Trying to explain how to open a TT door to a screaming 4 year old -- well use your imagination. Anyway there is a happy ending to this story. We happened to have the bean pole thin 24 year old uncle traveling with us and he managed to crawl through the outside storage and out the door under the couch. My only regret is I didn't get a picture of his legs sticking out the side storage. So that is my advice for today keep your keys handy when grandchildren are traveling with you
Craigmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Small children LOVE to push buttons just to see what they do.

I camp at a friends and the site slopes to the rear of the 5th wheel. Once level, the front is pretty low. Low enough that the landing gear switch can be reached by a curious 10 year old. (lucky he tried to LOWER the legs instead of raising them and blew the fuse).

Now have a kill switch to disable power to the leg switch (though no longer needed at my friend's home). I now use it as a theft deterrent since it is pretty hard to hook up and drive off without power to the legs.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

Same here, I always remove the fuses to the 2 stabilizers jacks and front tongue jack when trailer is all set up.......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Site Team

It took me about three times to realize my toddler granddaughter was pushing buttons on the stereo while it was off and that was turning the alarm on. After three rude awakenings at 2am I figured it out. They do love buttons.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

When I was three I found the emergency button that turns off the escalator and my mothers favorite department store. She never let me forget that.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
When I was three I found the emergency button that turns off the escalator and my mothers favorite department store. She never let me forget that.
WOW!! I did the exact same thing!! People were falling all into each other. I thought they were just being clumsy. When my mother reached down to grab me I never went from sitting down to standing up so fast in my life, ever.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

First time out with our new camper and 5 year old grandson, he woke up at 3 am. Wanted to fish, hike, playground, bike. Finally grandma needed a nap so we laid down. I must have fallen asleep because I woke up to the flush of a toilet and the door slamming multiple times. Finally getting up my grandson yell"great news, the pee doesn't go on the ground. The ranger got a huge kick out of the fact that we were the only trailer he knew of that needed to dump after 24 hours. Yep 30 plus gallons used.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
It took me about three times to realize my toddler granddaughter was pushing buttons on the stereo while it was off and that was turning the alarm on. After three rude awakenings at 2am I figured it out. They do love buttons.
There's a fuse for that as well