Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM   #1

Let's hear it from the ladies

I don't see too many posts on here from the women. Sometimes these technical posts get pretty boring. Ladies - what do you like best about RVing? What mods and decorating ideas have helped you function best? Any additional thoughts are most welcome!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

Love RVing! I tow! I back the camper in the sites! I help set up! Since kitchen counter space was limited, we bought a kitchen cart to add for storage and counter space! Some of our best meals are when we are camping - that's when I have time to cook. It's not just hamburgers and hot dogs at our camper!
Just Jammin 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #3

We have a 2012 Forester 3121DS. We love RV'ing, just have not had time to get away lately. We are hoping to head somewhere soon. I love cooking outdoors, relaxing, fishing, meeting new people. We are hoping to attend the Frog Rally in August.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Team

My wife told me to say "I love being with my husband anywhere, anytime.". Lol

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I can't repeat what my wife told me! But that's a whole other subject.
She loves the closet rods verse the "metal upside down hearts"
Counter space she hates ,too little ,love the cart idea though
Washer and drier a must have
Had to add a bunch of shelves in the cupboards
On demand hot water
Shower is a little small
Residential fridge
Central vac I installed
Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

The sunseeker 3170 drives fantastic, easy to back up with the camera. I love being able to get on the road with our 4 legged children. We bought a stove cover to make it another counter since we don't cook on the stove. Next stop Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We are out here! I love getting away from the tv and news, computer and phone.
HHHmmm added some room darking curtians from Wally-mart on spring rod. Helps keep the sun out and trailer cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Added some battery sconce lights. Heated mattress pad on the bed (new mattress much more comfortable). CampingGator -- I am guessing your are a Gator(UF) fan? have a niece there in grad school. Where in North Central FLA. I ues to live outside G-ville in a little town... Melrose.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

My husband and I both work for UF. We live south of Micanopy. My husband is a UF grad too. Melrose is a cute little town. Nice little seafood restaurant there.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #9

As you can see from my signature, us gals have been busy camping in our popup, usually leaving our men folk at home. Have only done a couple of mods, a shelving system and a WiFi backup camera on the back of the pup. I do the hitching up, the towing, the backing and most of the maintenance. We love getting out with our daughters and doing stuff. Home base is Maryland, but in 5 seasons we have traveled as far north as New York, as far west as Yellowstone, and south to Virginia. we enjoy historic sites, hiking, biking, canoeing, and swimming - a week at the beach is a must every year. We don't do hamburgers or hot dogs, our best meals are in cast iron Dutch ovens over coals.
The best side effect of camping, spending time with our daughters. The stuff that they have experienced and have accomplished helps give them a sense of self worth that I hope will carry them through whatever life throws at them.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

I love RVing, maybe more then my hubby, I drive our GT XL378, it backs very well, I always help do the setting up and closing up. I have made quilts for our motorhome, done wall tattoos, we are working on changing out the wooden boxes in the pantry to wire basket, (I can't see in the boxes). Sometimes I think we eat better while we are out camping. One of our two fur babies loves camping just as much as I do, the other one not so much, she just goes for the company.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #11

GalsofEscape - we used to live in Virginia. We had a pup then and camped many places. We also loved camping in West Virginia and white water rafting on the New River. We also loved camping at Natural Bridge, Virginia and canoeing on the James River. Williamsburg area is wonderful for history. I miss it, as we have lived in Florida for almost twenty years. The nice thing about Florida is that we can camp all year long and we are within a five hour drive of a lot of the south.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #12

My folks live in va, we camp frequently in their yard as they live at a lake. And yes, there is so much to see around here. I went to Virginia Tech so know of what you speak. We are dreaming of the day we can go down to Florida and experience the beaches there.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #13

I love being in the RV! It took 20 years to convince my husband that this was the way to go, and now he loves it too. I do a lot of the driving, because I head out early, and he meets me at the campsite after work. I'm planning a trip this summer that he won't be able to make, so I have a friend coming along. She is my RV buddy, and we spend a lot of time finding local campgrounds with either double spaces or good spaces next to each other. The only mod I've done is to put hooks for fishing poles in the rear storage area. I will be near an IKEA next month while my son has a robotics tournament, and I have a huge list of stuff i need along with pictures and measurements of all my cabinets. I'm hoping that my next RV trip will be to Mt Bachelor while it's still ski season. My boys can ski and snowboard, while my RV friend and I snow shoe or cross country ski. There isn't formal camping up there, but they do allow overnight stays for self contained units, and I think it would be fun.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I do almost all of the driving and the backing. I actually taught my dh how to drive a trailer with our old tt. When we upgraded to the fiver last summer, I figured out driving it first and then let him have a go at it. He is my back up driver. I even help to wash and wax the rig. At the campground I set up and take down the inside while dh handles the outside (fewer arguments this way).

I love that it brought my husband and I closer. We were beginning to drift apart and camping helped us put down our electronics and spend time playing cards talking while dd napped and as she grows older, more family time for the 3 of us. This year we are planning on heading to the factory rally. We are gonna leave dd home with her grandma while dh and I get to have a trip for the two of us for once.

On Our old tt I put wire shelves in all the closets and hooks on some walls. Never did much to it. The new fiver is seeing more love. So far I have bought a duvet cover for an old quilt to make the bedroom look nicer. I have put my old metal shelves in the pantry but am looking for better ideas there, i.e. maybe a slide out system. I bought a toaster and a mini keurig for the kitchen. I have some ideas on the bedroom closet. We keep a couple of things like the swiffer, broom, pop up screened tent and a couple of camping chairs in there (for lack of a better place to keep them). I'm thinking of creating a rack system to hold them upright. I might just get a large trash can or bin instead and then find away to anchor it in place. Then I think I might add some shelves to the closet also. But I need to keep my fiver home from warranty repairs long enough to do these things.

Campinggator- my dh and I met on a white water rafting/camping trip on the new and gauley rivers.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #15

Hello from NW New Jersey. The hubby and I go RVin every month from April through end of October. In an RV Club and Loving it. On long trips I also drive and backup. I want to be able to do everything just in case of an emergency. Oh yeah I forgot also take my yorkiepoo and occasionally grandkids. Soooo much fun
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
That's funny....She told my wife the exact opposite !!!

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
I don't see too many posts on here from the women. Sometimes these technical posts get pretty boring. Ladies - what do you like best about RVing? What mods and decorating ideas have helped you function best? Any additional thoughts are most welcome!
Keeping things simple from planning to stocking. I try to get items that can be used in multiple ways. I didn't decorated my TT but have included some items from home to personalize the area like the quilt my mom crocheted.

I installed an interior handle to the left of the entry door. It feels safer to exit & go down the steps especially carrying things like a cup of coffee in right hand and with the left hand on the handle. I had an awning installed over the bedroom window which is worth the investment. The awning provides shade & privacy. Also that window area isn't so cold overnight during the winter.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #18

I own an Rpod 172 (expandable). I LOVE IT!!! Bought it for myself as the Hubs hates camping. I tow it with a Chevy Blazer. It took the first season (2013) to master backing up, but I have a camping buddy that is VERY patient with me. Now I can do hooking up, backing up and setting up all by myself, in fact I can set up, including the dome, within 45 minutes! This last season I even learned how to "turtle" camp (out of necessity...forgot to fill the propane tank and it was cold out 😳 - thank goodness for hand warmers and an electric blanket!)
Modifications: Curtains for privacy over the bunks; a toilet paper holder on the sink in the bath; a paper towel holder in the cupboard under the stove. I made a wooden cover for the stovetop so that I could have more counter space (I usually cook outside). I put in my own small microwave above the sink. I didn't like the dining room table that came with my unit, so I usually put it out in the dome and use it for my grill. I got a smaller, adjustable table for the dining room (usually don't cook or eat inside - that's what the dome is for 😉!) About the only other thing I want to do is get a ladder to better access the top bunk (the bottom bunk is used for storage)...I currently use a two step step stool, but it's actually one step too short...but a three step step stool would be too wide (and block access to the bathroom). Other than that, I'm good 😄.
Michboch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #19

Me, too.

Hubby and I have been living in our FW-Silverback since November 2014. I have been hoping to find some ideas also-such as, how do others display family photos, what do u keep in that little cupboard with the control panel for the awning, etc., and how do you use the little nook in the bedroom. I am totally loving my little home on wheels. I'm in a park now-no tow vehicle. Since I am still working, it is perfect for me. Would love to see pictures!
Mamabear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #20

Camping Gator, there's probably more women who post than you realize. I use my trailer primarily for travel and last year, made more effort to camp. I also joined a woman's camp group because spouse isn't as interested as I am in getting out and seeing the sights. The favorite mods I've done in my trailer have to do with convenience and function. If I can make something pretty in the process, then I am super happy as well. Spouse does the mechanical mods if the need pops up more than once when I am traveling solo. I have a need to be organized when living in the small trailer space for a few days...so organizer systems and clutter control are super important. I like reading posts here for technical issues. It's a large enough forum that someone is bound to have made the same mistakes as a few others. It's good to read and try not to repeat their mistakes.

If you are interested in decorating and mods, you might check out Glamping groups for creative ideas.

Whats on your list of Projects that you'd like to see happen inside your rv?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote