Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #1201

We do it right... No campground, no electricity, cut your own firewood. Best part it's 1.5 miles off the pavement....

Cut your own firewood (plenty of dead fallen hardwood) and wake up to deer and turkeys in the morning and see no one the whole time...

That is camping to me.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	121323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0924.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	121324  
Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
We do it right... No campground, no electricity, cut your own firewood. Best part it's 1.5 miles off the pavement....

Cut your own firewood (plenty of dead fallen hardwood) and wake up to deer and turkeys in the morning and see no one the whole time...

Sooooo cool!!

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #1203

Quote:

you said no electricity but have a generator what does it do? backroad camping is enjoyable I do allot of it, with that said I also like the campgrounds full hook ups or not.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
Old 09-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #1204

1. Fort Welikit, Custer SD - Great little park
2. Fishing Bridge Rv park, Yellowstone...forgot to take a picture but I think you get the point...
3. Mark Twain Cave Campground, Hannibal MO - Perfect overnight stay...don't mind me in the picture...I think she was trying to show the bugs on the nose...
4. White River Campground, Cicero IN - Great county run park, gated at night
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	667.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	121416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	164
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	121419   Click image for larger version

Name:	654.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	121420   Click image for larger version

Name:	662.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	121421  

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #1205
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
2. Fishing Bridge Rv park, Yellowstone...forgot to take a picture but I think you get the point...
That's not a Fish Bridge, this is a Fish Bridge:
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
you said no electricity but have a generator what does it do? backroad camping is enjoyable I do allot of it, with that said I also like the campgrounds full hook ups or not.
The little Champion 2000 Inverter keeps my house battery full. It gets run for about 2 hours (on economy mode) in the afternoon and then shut off. I sleep on a CPAP machine powered by a sine wave (xantrex) inverter running off the house battery so I need the genny to keep the battery charged for a weekend (2 day trip). It usually sits by the front wheel of the pickup.

I get my Coleman white gas lantern out for sit around and tell lies time in the evening.

The Backpack is pretty efficient power consumption wise, all LED lights and it has 2 20 pound propane tanks...I haven't refilled them all summer and I'm still on the first one....
Old 09-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #1208

Some more pictures.. It's really 'off road'. Thats my good friend Jim sitting by the camper. Getting in and out is a chore, pretty high off the ground but necessary for a 4x4 setup. No issues with ground clearance.....

Tossed in a picture of one of my hunting blinds. I have 2 stationary blinds on the property and 2 tree stands, you can see how thick the woods are....

My 'campground' is 'gaited' too. No way in unless it's a 4x4 and it's all posted private property, no tresspassing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0922.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	121475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	121476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	121478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	121479  
Old 09-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #1209

I consider myself fortunate to have the financial reserves to own a piece of property like this. I could have purchased a nice diesel pusher for what it cost but then I'd not have my own private campground and hunting preserve.

Best part is, it's 8 miles to the Walmart and Menards and Applebees if I want a sit down meal. While it looks remote, it's deceiving. It's not really.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #1210
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #1211

What I want to know is how the water stays in the fish bridge without running out into the tanks?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
What I want to know is how the water stays in the fish bridge without running out into the tanks?
I don't want to know...

My fish all come cooked and I eat them. Sardines in a can included and an aquarium has no place in an RV anyway.

I look at an aquarium as a container for fish poo that needs high maintenance. I'd remove the lid and let my cat go 'fishing' and when she snagged all the guppies, I'd toss the tanks and call it good.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
It can't run out because it would create a vacuum in the tube. Or to think of it conversely, the air pressure on the surface of the water in the two tanks holds the water up in the tubes. It's just like when you put your finger over the end of a straw with water in it. The water stays in the stray until you pull your finger away because the air pressure around the bottom of the straw is holding the water up in the straw.

Since air pressure at sea level is about 14.7 psi, which is the pressure that about 32 ft of water would supply, you could have a "straw" 32 ft long and it would stay full of water so long as your finger was over the end (or the end were closed off). This is basically how a water barometer works. If you use a mercury barometer, the height is much less (around 29 inches, as you hear on the weather reports) because the mercury weighs a lot more than water.

More here:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...cury+barometer

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 09-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It can't run out because it would create a vacuum in the tube. Or to think of it conversely, the air pressure on the surface of the water in the two tanks holds the water up in the tubes. It's just like when you put your finger over the end of a straw with water in it. The water stays in the stray until you pull your finger away because the air pressure around the bottom of the straw is holding the water up in the straw.
Well I'll be... That's amazing.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #1215
Always Learning

Quote:
... and an aquarium has no place in an RV anyway.
I get that you're anti-pet fish, but we have an aquarium in our RV.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #1216

Sam A Baker State Park Patterson, MO

Sam A Baker State Park Patterson, MO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	121541  
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Old 09-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #1217

Stayed a few weeks at a friends farm. Nice and quiet.

"Legacy" was great company.

And the nearby Catskill Mountains (NY State) were beautiful, and a blast to ride.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #1218

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:

Ohhhhhh !!!!! You are making us HUGE home-sick for our getaway land out in New York ... your bug-out site looks like a slice of Heaven !!!!

Admittedly from a few years back ... just sharing your vision ... we've got 23 acres up in the Catskills ... off-grid, half-mile from a Verizon Tower (we aren't un-civilized) ... we own then end of the road so have it gated ... we have a neighbor who we let cut trees - he takes all he can possibly use, want, sell - leaves us more than we can burn - and we aren't even close to keeping up with what needs to be cut / managed ...

And to make not being there just a bit "worse," the New York Tollway Authority just sent us a new toll transponder (E-Z Pass) because they said our old one had passed it's battery end-of-life date. So they miss us too ...

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #1219

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Stayed a few weeks at a friends farm. Nice and quiet.
<snip>
And the nearby Catskill Mountains (NY State) were beautiful, and a blast to ride.
Our previous message, back to you as well

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
Ohhhhhh !!!!! You are making us HUGE home-sick for our getaway land out in New York ... your bug-out site looks like a slice of Heaven !!!!

Admittedly from a few years back ... just sharing your vision ... we've got 23 acres up in the Catskills ... off-grid, half-mile from a Verizon Tower (we aren't un-civilized) ... we own then end of the road so have it gated ... we have a neighbor who we let cut trees - he takes all he can possibly use, want, sell - leaves us more than we can burn - and we aren't even close to keeping up with what needs to be cut / managed ...

And to make not being there just a bit "worse," the New York Tollway Authority just sent us a new toll transponder (E-Z Pass) because they said our old one had passed it's battery end-of-life date. So they miss us too ...

Mine is just under 53 acres and it's all hardwood (I'm always getting loggers wanted to 'harvest' trees sending me literature which I throw away)....

Mine isn't gaited. I have a National forest on one side, Ted Nugent's brother on the other and the Muskegon River so I have river access but I just bank fish. No one cuts any wood except me. I keep it the way it is for the hunting habitat, the reason why I bought it in the first place. I bought it in an estate sale and I was familiar with it (hunted on it) before I bought it.

Cell service is spotty but I carry a Sat-Phone and it's good anywhere, Not cheap but they work anywhere in the world. I have a company I-phone too.

I cut mostly dead ash (I see you have them too). The ash blight took a lot of trees here and on my property so firewood is never an issue.

We may, at some point, build a home on it if we don't pass first. It's willed to the family if that happens.

The Lord isn't making any more land so owning property is high on my list. I own over 150 acres right here where I live, it's farm ground...I farm.

Your hard side would never make it back to my piece of heaven. Too high, why I bought the Backpack. MY Lance just would not fit without major damage...I have it for sale btw. On my F350, the Lance was pushing 13-2 to the top of the AC unit, the Backpack is much lower, just over 10, another reason I didn't want ac, the units stick up too much and when you raise the top on the Backpack and unzip all the windows, it's like being in a screen house, no ac needed.

I still have to 'cut' my way in every spring, cut back limbs and cut side clearance, trees grow.

I have one stream crossing (I think I put it in a picture), it necessitates 4 wheel drive.

I actually have 3 camp spots, the one pictured which really isn't on my land but on National Forest land (I permit both my truck, camper and quad for National Forest use), and 2 in the deep woods. I tend to park on the NF land, it's a clearing and less bugs.

No one uses my property except Rick Nugent, we are good friends and he walks my property regularly and checks the boundary markers and blinds and if there is an issue, he calls me. Rick, like his brother Ted is a real outdoorsman and hunter. I'm very blessed to have a Nugent for a neighbor, great people all around and he lives on his property unlike us, so he's there all the time.

The parcel is about 2.5 hours drive time from here. Just close enough to be far enough away....

We try to use it every year numerous times in the spring / summer for camping and maintenance and in the fall winter for hunting. I hunt 'out west' every other year, can't afford it every year. Hunts are very expensive and that is my consuming hobby plus it keeps the freezers full.

We have cattle on the farm but we prefer wild game and eat everything from elk to squirrel.

IMO, if you can afford you own private 'campground', buy it.
Closed Thread