Old 04-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #1

Looking to add a boat for fishing

DH has a 15 hp motor (only 63 pounds) that needs a boat. He used to go to fishcamps to rent the boat ... does not seem to be an option any longer in many places. We currently have a pickup TV with 6 feet of usable bed space (2 feet additional is dang tool box) while hauling 21 foot MicroLite TT.

We have looked at the portabotes ($$$), inflatables ($-$$$) & Gheenoe ($$-$$$) and it looks like we will have to put a rack on TV bed although I would like to avoid that expense. Lifting the weight of some of those boats is a bit scary too. We would like to be fishing freshwater to saltwater FL Intercoastal to everglades islands to out just a bit in the gulf.

Would like to help him sort this out a bit so we can get on some tight lines next month up on the panhandle when camping..... any experiences out there to share?

Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

small boat for fishing

We use an 8' portabote with an electric trolling motor. The boat (unfolded with seats installed) fits nicely Upside down on the tonneau cover on our 2015 Ford F150. Easy to load and the trolling motor with battery are easier to handle than a gas outboard. It's not fast, but it does fine for our fishing expeditions and exploring the waterways.

RV - 2018 Open Range 2804RK
getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Sea Eagle has just come out with a 2-person, 16' inflatable skiff that can take a small gasoline outboard motor (up to 100# and a 15" max. shaft length). We have a 2-person Sea Eagle inflatable kayak that I can easily lift in and out of our 5th wheel basement. We love it for exploring lakes and rivers when RVing. You can take a look at them Here.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

A lot of guys out here use small Jon-boats with a motorized winch system to load them on the roof racks. They’re pretty slick.
https://youtu.be/19Q_8lliuv0
Tombsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Ultraskif

Check out the Ultraskif. Around 123 pounds and will fit in the bed of your truck (lengthwise). www.ultraskiff.com Great little fishing boat and extremely stable. I spend most of my time standing while fishing, but the seat I added is very comfortable. I use a 55 lb trolling motor on mine and it moves it along quite nicely.
tsargent55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

We tow a 14' flat Jon Boat on a trailer behind our camper. The hitch just bolts onto the 4" square bumper on the rear of the trailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...4aAhSSEALw_wcB

Weight capacity: 3,500 lbs GTW / 350 lbs TW

Our boat trailer and motor weigh less than 1000 lbs. Florida allows Triple Towing I think.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #7
Head Rambler

I like the Sea Eagle inflatables for storage and portability.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasreid View Post
we tow a 14' flat jon boat on a trailer behind our camper. The hitch just bolts onto the 4" square bumper on the rear of the trailer:

https://www.etrailer.com/rv-and-camp...4aahssealw_wcb

weight capacity: 3,500 lbs gtw / 350 lbs tw

our boat trailer and motor weigh less than 1000 lbs. florida allows triple towing i think.

nope!

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #9

You are asking a lot out of a small portable boat. Especially when you suggest "a bit in the Gulf". Those waters can change in a heart beat. You may want to check Craigslist for a good used RIB. I have seen one cheap at a church rummage sale and one in a campground in the Port Charlotte area. But I'm sure they are gone by now. Just never know where you will run across what you are looking for. If a RIB would suit you, check sailboats for sale and see if they will separate the RIB.

Trailering for you rig is not an option.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I carry 2010 10ft portabote. Bought used $900. Store seats in 5er storage. Bote on a rack underneath the 5er. Motor 5hp in the TV bed.

Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; 4-Fold Tonneau; 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox & CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; Andersen UltimateII Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball; LCI Ground Control3 4pt+2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; King Dishtailgater; 10ft. Portabote w/5hp Outboard; Dual A/C; Furrion48 Rearcam; Champion 3100 Inverter w/DIY Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat