Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #11

My trip was for the 3rd week in August! I also wanted to go to Assateague as well but that was completely full too! So how much in advance are people reserving? Hopefully this difficulty is limited to the really nice campground destinations.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

If you configure your camper for dry camping, (no hookups), you increase your chances to get to stay at or near the destination you have in mind.

We dry camped in the parking lot at a full Titusville KOA for 3 days during a space shot at Kennedy Space Center. After the shot the place emptied out and we were moved to a full hookup site for the remainder of out stay.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #13

Guess it would be helpful to configure for dry camping!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Time to Live

Just spent two days finding a place to camp over Memorial Day weekend here in NH. Am going to plan the rest of the summer, and start finding places to go.....well in advance! We like to be on or near the water, and those sites book well in advance. Happy Camping!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #15

The gov. Parks in PA you have to wait 180 days before no early.When I make my Res. for Labor Day I will make them on the Feb 28 for Aug 28
2013 25 nites 2017 19 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #16

"I guess Reserve America allows people who reserve the week previous for a 2 week stay to hold those sites for the week I wanted."
Not sure I follow you...
The site must be occupied the first night. Charges must be paid to change or cancel a reservation.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #17

It depends on local attractions & special event weekends. As much as I hate to say it will be more trial & error ....call ahead before you go........

We just made reservations at Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach (They open up for reservations 18 months in advance) nearly 900 sites & they are about 95% full for the third week in July. But spring & fall easier to get in without reservations) Our closer to home (in Mt Airy NC) campground books fast in the fall months Mayberry Days, Fall Festables, Autunm Leaves all come into play. They have 100 sites. State parks & Corp of Engr are smaller & their campgrounds fill fast on the weekends in the summer months.

Enjoy ......................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn61 View Post
My trip was for the 3rd week in August! I also wanted to go to Assateague as well but that was completely full too! So how much in advance are people reserving? Hopefully this difficulty is limited to the really nice campground destinations.
Some places as much as 18 months.......

Keep trying closer to the summer alot of people book & have to cancel out.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #19

Actually camping in Florida in the summer isn't too much of an issue ~ you even get off season rates for a lot of places. Disney is, of course, Disney but for most parks shorter terms aren't much of an issue. I agree on Jim's idea of marking the maps with preferred spots ~ after a few campgrounds you just can't remember any more! Once our snowbirds start coming south ~ Oct into Nov then good luck going anywhere! til it heats up and they fly home again DH and I are looking to book a few trips now; one of our fave spots at Turtle Beach in Sarasota is booked until April which isn't too bad.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"I guess Reserve America allows people who reserve the week previous for a 2 week stay to hold those sites for the week I wanted."
Not sure I follow you...
The site must be occupied the first night. Charges must be paid to change or cancel a reservation.
I use ReserveAmerica to book most of my reservations. Ca state parks campground has a limit of 7 night stay during peak periods like summer.

For holidays that fall early in the month, like July 4th or Labor Day, I will book the last day of the open month (currently it's August) plus selected days for the holiday up to 7 nights total. The window for September will open on March 1 @ 8am but I have it reserved already.

With CA state parks the check-in time, check-out time or arrival deadline can vary from one park to the next but generally reservations will be cancelled if we don't arrive by noon the following day of the date range. Once I had to call the park on the original date of arrival to inform them I would be arriving later than the deadline due to a family emergency.

Edit:
You can create "notifications" with ReserveAmerica to notify you that a cancellation has occured. However, it still first come first serve when it comes to reserving it.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote