Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #221
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxies in the Rockies View Post
I need help regarding sanitizing our water system. We bought our camper new in February. Took it to the dealer in late April to be de-winterized. Almost immediately after that, we learned my husband needed major surgery & truthfully forgot the dealer had left water in the tanks. It's still there & we are now at the point in 2 weeks that we can FINALLY use our new trailer. Obviously first step is to drain he water. Since water has been sitting there all this time, I'm thinking we need to sanitize the system. Am I right? Other newbie questions - do we remove the water filter first? What do we need to do regarding the hot water heater? Remove heating element? Any & all help is greatly appreciated.

Drain. Add 1/4 cup bleach to each 15 gallons. Mine 45 gallon. 3/4cup used. Yes, remove the onboard filter. Open all faucets one at a time until you smell bleach then close. Let stand after filling for 3-12 hours no rush. Flush then fill again with just water until bleach smell gone.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxies in the Rockies View Post
We received a slide lock with our 2016 2504S. We asked about it during the PDI and were told "some use it, some don't". Not really a good answer. It seems that if we got one & there is a sticker on the wall showing where it should be put, it's something we should use. But we've had a hard time getting it snug enough to stay in place during travel. When we get to our destination, it's almost always come undone. There must be a trick to it we aren't aware of. So - do you use a slide lock? If so, do you have any suggestions to how to get it more securely held into place?

I was told it is really easy to forget and create damage. Make sure to remember if used.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Forest river did not build the refrigerator or water heater so blaming it on them is not exactly fair. As far as the water filter I agree they should not ever be installed inside since they are notoriously known to fail and a lot of people pull them out completely. But a blown fuse and a loose screw is not really what I would call a big problem.

How do you pull out the onboard filter and what do you use in place of? Just the water filter used on exterior? Do you remove the canister?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2.

I understand the need to vent, but the issues you've complained about are not really Forest River issues. Pretty much any TT you buy will have the same fridge (Dometic) and the same water heater (Suburban or Atwood). You don't say what you mean by "fried" regarding the water heater, but if you mean the electric element, that was probably your own fault, as I've only heard of them burning out if turned on with no water in the heater. As far as the filter, if you'd been a regular on the forum sooner, you'd probably have seen the many threads on the cracking issue and would have removed it. The slide fuse issue is also fairly common and is not necessarily a FR issue. Many people replace the shower head with an Oxygenics because it's better.

So good luck with your next TT, but don't be surprised if you have similar issues, because your SOB (some other brand) will have the same non-FR components.

How do you remove? Replace with what?

Old 09-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
How do you remove? Replace with what?
Unscrew. Replace with a 69 cent 1/2" coupler from Home Depot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter replacement coupling.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	151052

Name:	Filter removed.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	151053

If you install some hose fittings, you can use it outside. Or just get a Camco filter as in my 2nd pic.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Unscrew. Replace with a 69 cent 1/2" coupler from Home Depot.
Attachment 151052

Attachment 151053

If you install some hose fittings, you can use it outside. Or just get a Camco filter as in my 2nd pic.
Okay so if I understand correctly just go in and remove the onboard canister where the water filter would be and install valve fitting. How then when using the fresh water tank is water filtered? A carbon one is never used onboard or is it? Mine just came with a standard filter cartridge w/o carbon so I presume that is what is used for that. Dunno. I primarily camp at parks with water hook ups, but in the event I dry camp am I just dependent on the water source cleanliness? Mostly I want to remove any potential of water damage if leak in the plastic canister. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Okay so if I understand correctly just go in and remove the onboard canister where the water filter would be and install valve fitting. How then when using the fresh water tank is water filtered? A carbon one is never used onboard or is it? Mine just came with a standard filter cartridge w/o carbon so I presume that is what is used for that. Dunno. I primarily camp at parks with water hook ups, but in the event I dry camp am I just dependent on the water source cleanliness? Mostly I want to remove any potential of water damage if leak in the plastic canister. Thanks.
Filter the water as you put it in the FW tank.

Use of filters is a major FRF debate. I camped for 20 years in my popup without a filter and there's nothing wrong with me (at least if you don't ask my kids! But there's nothing wrong with them, either!).

Or buy a different brand of filter that doesn't have a cracking issue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #228

I'm trying to find my onboard filter.
2017 Flagstaff 21ds, any help?
jfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfish View Post
I'm trying to find my onboard filter.
2017 Flagstaff 21ds, any help?
on my 2014 21DS it was located in the front-streetside outside storage compartment,
I think it may have been behind a partition, but it was in that storage compartment, .... but we didn't have a Murphy Bed, had a large passthru, ... with a MB it might be somewhere else, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #230

Yes it is behind on of the cabinet facets. Unscrew the one side with single hinge and you will find.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #231

Faux cabinet face.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #232

Thanks, I'll check there.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #233
Canoeing and camping fun

Fishing pole storage

Anyone come up with fishing pole storage idea for under the Murphy bed passthrough? If we're away from camp and not fishing DH would like to lock the poles up, however we don't want to get them tangled up with the fishing vests. Usually carry a total of four poles.
Just back from the Adirondacks stayed at at the North Pole Resort in the 100 acre woods section, nice wooded sites will go there again. Getting ready to winterize as our camping is done till spring (bummer).
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean D View Post
Anyone come up with fishing pole storage idea for under the Murphy bed passthrough? If we're away from camp and not fishing DH would like to lock the poles up, however we don't want to get them tangled up with the fishing vests. Usually carry a total of four poles. ....
some version of the vinyl post mod with the gutter pull out tray, which is usually used for storing sewer hose, might work in there, ... or you could always mount it under the frame as most do and still store your fishing poles in it there, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #235

March 9-11, 2018 Mini/Micro Lite Fan Club Rally Junction, TX

South Llano River State Park
1927 Park Road 73
Junction, TX 76849

Park website: https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/south-llano-river

Book online: http://texas.reserveworld.com/ or by phone (512) 389-8900

Mini/Micro Lite owners - Please join hosts Beth and Dan Cooper and Tony and Linda Hill for the First Annual Informal Mini Lite/Micro Lite Rally at South Llano River State Park in Junction, Texas on March 9, 10 and 11, 2018. This is a fantastic small state park on the western edge of the Texas hill country. Most likely, we will have a get acquainted "Meet and Greet" Friday night and a Pot Luck Dinner on Saturday night. If you are interested, please make your reservations with the state park NOW and send your name and email address to ecooper1609@charter.net. Beth Cooper will send a group email letter out later regarding the details of the rally.
SusanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #236

Here with s very first TT. Loving it, a 2506S.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2602.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	157498  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #237

Nice Got the FlagStaff Micro-Lite, 21DS with the Colorado (V6) :-)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #238

[QUOTE=Jean D;1591326]We solved a comfort issue by purchasing two collapsible storage ottoman (16 inch on each side) his and hers as they are easier to handle than one long one.

Now have to solve the bathroom mirror problem. When DH leans in to shave with his glasses off (he's 6'4") he blocks the light. Thinking of mounting a pull out mirror on the wall on the closet side. Has anyone done this already? The concern is what type of anchoring to use and if there is any wiring hidden in that wall.

[/

Re the bathroom mirror problem, my husband ran wiring thru the ceiling and installed a light closer to the medicine cabinet. We bought the light from Amazon. It is wired to the wall switch and has a button on the light so you can turn it on when you need more light.

Where did you get the collapsible storage ottoman?
MGCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #239
Canoeing and camping fun

Folding ottoman

Picked up the folding ottoman at bed bath and beyond. Thanks for the wiring tip.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #240

2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS

Question????? I recently purchased a used 2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21FBRS and I noticed that it doesn't have the underbelly enclosed. Was looking at the Forest River web page I noticed that under the FEATURES for the current model it stated that Standard Package D has the underbelly enclosed. Does anyone know when they started enclosing the underbelly? Curious to know if this started in 2018 or maybe earlier being my 2017 doesn't have the enclosure.

Thanks in advance for any additional info that can be provided.
Jerry G.
SuperSonet is offline   Reply With Quote