Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #21

Merrills are the best! You can't go wrong with any type of Merrills.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #22

Shoes

Unless you plan on backpacking you won't need a real heavy boot, most hiking boots and many shoes will provide the support and protection for the type of hiking you are describing. Many people are switching to a light weight running shoe or trail runner. It is a good idea to build ankle strength vs trying to depend on a boot to provide it. As previously recommended go to REI and try on different shoes/boots. They will let you exchange for a different pair if the ones you choose don't work out. Remember to shop for hiking boots/shoes later in the day so your feet will be swollen to a size closer to what you will experience hiking. You may wish to read the following article.

5 Reasons To Ditch Your Hiking Boots — CleverHiker

Light weight shoes/boots do make a real difference. It has been said that 1 lb on your feet is like carrying an extra 10 lbs. Also, buy high quality socks. They cost more but some have a life time warranty. Enjoy the West. We are lucky to have an abundance of phenomenal public lands to get out and enjoy!
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #23

I've owned quite a few brands and types of mid & higher end hiking boots over the years. I have a pair of Asolo all-leather mountain hiking boots that are 12 years old that I just sent off to be resoled.

However, the best pair of hiking shoes that I've owned for the type of hiking that you plan to do are Oboz. Mine are an 'approach' style shoe. They are light like a sneaker, but are stiff and durable with a waterproof construction that breathes well so your feet don't get sweaty on hot days or wet when in dew covered grass. You can wear them all day long day after day.

Also recommend merino wool hiking socks. They won't itch or stink and are super soft. Spend a little money on your feet and keep them dry. Good luck!

Eggleston, Virginia
Go Hokies!!!
MoonStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #24

Can't beat Merrell. There are some European companies, but they are very pricey.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #25

REI is a good start. $20 membership for coop but you get Dividend check at the year end based on purchases.
Great support and nationwide availability. American store.
Good luck!
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob67gmc View Post
Look at Lowa brand. I've been into rock climbing and rappelling for over 30 years, also a mountain high angle rope rescue instructor, and the Lowa ATC has been my best choice so far.

I also like Lowa. I recently purchased another pair of Lowa Renegade GTX Mid for $99 at Sierra Trading Post. That was a clearance price. I have been wearing this brand for about 10 years now. Comfortable right out of the box. Fairly durable and totally waterproof. I started with these on the recommendation of a friend who hike the Grand Canyon every year.

I have worn Smartwool socks for years and love them. I have recently started wearing Injinji toe socks. Haven't had a blister on my toes since switching.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bryans View Post
Lowas can't be beat. I have hiked for years with Hi-tec, Merrels, even Redwings. All good boots...but now I'm 62 years old and my feet need quality support. I bought a pair of Lowa Renegades. Waterproof, light, not too expensive. You get what you pay for with boots. Like all have said in this post, try on several brands and sizes and then order what you want online. You can save big online. Happy camping/hiking.
X2 on the Renegades
Old 04-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #28

Years ago after a knee injury and subsequent surgery to repair, my PT strongly suggested I ditch the Merrill shoes I was wearing and get 'motion control' Asics or New Balance tennis shoes. My husband wears the same kind, too, and they've made a huge difference for both of us. We've walked/hiked all those places you mentioned and our tennis shoes have served us well. But as others have said, only you will know what feels good and works for you.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyfan View Post
I'm in the same age range. These Keen's are great.
Koven Waterproof for Men | KEENs for Hiking
+1 on Keen hiking shoes. Have worn them for several years and over a thousand miles, I suspect. Good quality shoes.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #30
Land of the Midnightsun

Adidas. Hiked all over Alaska wearin them
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I'll attach a picture of the ones I bought. You can zoom in and see the brand. They served me well.

Now I've been to most of the places that you mentioned. And we have never wore anything but our well used tennis shoes.

I ve not been to Glacier Bay ? It could be rain and wet up there I guess.

Russell Attachment 133724
That is the only brand I buy. Even have a pair that are insulated and water proof!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #32
Boondocking Only

Hi-Tek, Keen, or Carhartt are among the best & will last many years.
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #33

Merrell's have served me well. Walked miles and miles in Africa. Did great through sand and on rocks. Keen is also a good brand.
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #34

Best hiking boots I ever had were my Vietnam Jungle Boots, Leather shoe and canvas, lace-up uppers for ventilation. Not water proof, but always dried out pretty quickly. Two tours of duty in 1968 and 1969, only two pairs of boots. I don't know whether you can find them at an outdoor store, or perhaps a "military surplus" store.

Nowadays I only hike with Dr. Scholls walking shoes or training shoes. The gel pads under the heel inside the shoes take all the shock out of hard ground. Very inexpensive inexpensive, but don't last as long as more expensive varieties.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #35

I don't like recommending brands either....

Lets just say I spend thousands every year on guided hunts, mostly in western states (going to northern New Mexico for an elk hunt in October) and I spare no expense on quality footwear. It has to provide proper support, be durable and lightweight and most importantly, require no 'break in' whatsoever. I'm in my late 60's and I've been doing this stuff for decades.

Nothing worse than sore feel or blisters to ruin your day.

I require footwear with quality Vibram lug soles for traction and good internal support for sidehilling and dealing with hardscrabble terrain

To that end, there are a limited number of quality hunting and hiking boots/ shoes made.

My personal choice are Meindl boots. Made in Germany, Cabelas sells them and last pair I bought I tried on 6 different pairs before I found a pair that fit perfectly, no pairs will be quite alike. My second choice in Kennetrtek. They are made in Italy and sold a Scheels and a few other sporting goods outlets and again, personally fitting is a must.

Both brands have replaceable foot beds. The footbeds are the heart of any boot.\ or hiking shoe. The footbeds provide cushion and soak up the shock and they wear out and become saturated with sweat (your feet perspire) so replacement is a yearly thing and any boot without footbeds is not a long term good investment.

Finally, you need socks tailored for your use. Regular crew socks are no good. They need to be smooth knit and free from any nubs or bumps and fit you without bunching.

I typically pay 300-400 bucks for a pair of quality boots or hiking shoes. Buying cheap will only cause you grief and sore feet in the end.

My 2 cents from experience.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #36

Get what fits your foot best, including arch and width. Some boots are really heavy and stiff, better for a rocky terrain, or do you prefer a more light weight boot? Some breathe better for cooler summer hiking. Some lightweight models are really soft and don't offer enough support. I've been hiking almost daily for over 35 yrs. and need good ankle support. My personal favorites are Merrill, or Vasquez; 2nd( harder to find,) with Vibram soles. You will want either a leather boot that will breathe, or a breathable leather w/synthetic mesh panels that won't cause blisters and sweaty wet socks. You don't need the most expensive but I caution going too cheap of quality. Good quality wool blend socks are worth the money, also.
Happy trails and not all who wander are lost!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #37

Went to all the places you mentioned last year. Did it all in Sperry Top Siders.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
OH, on hiking sticks. I agree, sticks help a lot, especially on hills. I use just one as I want a free hand. I see Costco has 2 carbon fibre sticks for $30.00. Have purchased and used in the past. Good stuff.
X2 - on the lightweight carbon walking sticks- light as air! Great for stability if climbing hilly/mountainous trails
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Went to all the places you mentioned last year. Did it all in Sperry Top Siders.
You must be of the lucky ones with no foot, ankle or back problems. I'm envious!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #40

Add me to the list of Keen fans. I have the Targhee II and love them. Having said this, every foot has a different need so your mileage may vary.

2018 Rockwood mini lite 2109s
TV: 2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
Roanoke, Virginia
Captn is offline   Reply With Quote