Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Off The Road, for now...

Our fulltime journey of the USA has come to an end after about 20 Months. We camped and toured every state in the Lower Continental States over that period. Obviously, it was not enough time to really explore all there is to see but it gave our family a nice taste of what each State is and what America really is. I am mostly happy for my kids, (13 year old Son and 11 year old Daughter), who I hope when they are older, will tell their kids our road stories. I am sure they will forget some of it, I already have… But I am pretty sure there are somethings they will remember for the rest of their lives. Like when my son’s iPhone fell out of his pocket into a toilet, OK, the only reason he won’t forget that is because I will remind him for the rest of my life… I am also happy for DW who is an Immigrant from Indonesia, she is the one who wanted to do this and now she really knows what America is.

I know my Son will remember Acadia National Park, for some reason some of the hikes and views really struck him in a positive way and he lists it as his favorite place we visited. I am not saying Acadia wasn’t beautiful and memorial to me, but to me, it wasn’t quite as nice as Glacier National Park, the Grand Canyon and Yosemite’s falls and hikes. My Daughter hasn’t said which was her favorite but I am thinking anyone of the Food Tours we did will rank high, 😊 , maybe the Food Tour in Nashville, YUM! My DW has not said what her favorite place was yet either but I am thinking NY City will probably be it. For me, Washington DC, I had been to quite a few states before but never went to DC. I think being from the West Coast, we don’t see “old” American History as much as the people back East. So to walk/see/learn/relearn, where Washington, Lincoln all of the early pioneers of our great country lived was incredible to me. Maybe I just have forgotten what I was taught in school but to see the old buildings and Monuments it really hits home how truly great our Country Forefathers were. And in a close second, Glacier National Park was spectacular to me. First time to see a wild Grizzly Bear and then on one our hikes to see a heard of Big Horn Sheep run by us within 50 yards, WOW.

Out of the 20 months, there was only one time where we had a bad experience and unfortunately my Son was the one who had to experience it. In all places it was at the NM Balloon Festival, as we were walking along the crowded street full of vendors and people, he accidentally bumped into a Woman who then called him a racial slur with some other nasty language along with it. The only reason I bring this up is because it reminded me of the start of our trip. In the first couple of months when we started this trip we ended up in Hartford CT and visited the Samuel Clemens, (aka, Mark Twain), homestead. There were his quotes all over the walls of the museum portion and one of the first ones and my favorite was:

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

I think most of you on the road can attest to this, I sure can. Some of the places I had always wondered about had the nicest people.

We actually finished our journey 3 months early so we ended up storing the TT and travelling for 5 weeks Internationally to NZ, AU, Bali, Java and Singapore. We are now back home, sort of, we are living in our rental property for most likely a couple of years. If the housing market doesn’t crash we will sell it then and then move back to our home port from where we started this journey in Benicia CA. We are planning on selling our WindJammer soon and hopefully when the kids go to college, we will get a Class C and do some more sightseeing in the USA. We are even thinking of renting RVs in other Countries to tour.

OK, beside being stoked about this trip and wanting to tell anyone who will listen or read this, if you made it this far on this long post, I want to thank this Forum for all the help before and during this trip. This was our first Trailer, (we had a Truck Camper before). Other than the Microwave and Stove everything was new to us because our Truck Camper was an older one.

So - Thank you to all the Super Forum Members who helped us along the way!

Some numbers:
A little over 20 months.
101 different Campgrounds/RV Parks, (106 total but some we stayed more than once).
~31400 Miles on the TT.
~55000 Total Miles on the TV.
~4800 Gallons of Diesel, ~$12,500.00.
3 sets of TT tires, OEM CastleRock blowout at 6k miles, Replacement tires tread starting to separate at 13k miles. Current GY Endurance tires have 12k miles and so far look good.
3 sets of TV tires, 1st set Big-O tires messed up the alignment, 2nd set worn out at 47000 miles, 3rd set new in January.

May your travels be fun and safe!

Most Likely the WJ's last camp site before we sell it, our backyard...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WJatHome.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	165179  

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #2

Wow....what an adventure!

1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

All those places you mentioned are nice and all but did you stop in Kansas to see the world's largest ball of twine??? Lol.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Thanks for sharing! Your kids will remember that trip as some of the best times of their life! I know I am so thankful my mom took me all over this country when I was a kid!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

Thank you for sharing. I am sure you will again own a TT of some length. We belong to a camping club and sure enjoy our monthly "camp-out".

Ram 2500, diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

Sounds like a wonderful trip!!
You really need to share some photos!!
KWhite2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

I love it! When we first started, the plan was for 14 months. We went the opposite as you and are now staying out. But so wonderful that you guys had such an adventure and journey!
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Epic trip. Thanks for sharing!
Hurseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
All those places you mentioned are nice and all but did you stop in Kansas to see the world's largest ball of twine??? Lol.
Don't forget the world's largest frying pan in North Carolina. My kids were thrilled that I drove 2 hours out of our way on our trip to Disney to see that bad boy.....

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 20
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #10

20 Months On The Road

That was one really great article. I'd be afraid to take a trip like that. With my experience, it would include at least 6 stops to lube the bearings, as well as the new tires and axles. It would be almost easier to just get a new trailer every 5,000 of 6,000 miles.

JimMorrell is online now   Reply With Quote