Old 02-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Power trailer dolly

I hope I am not adding a thread to an old subject but I had no luck finding a thread on power dollies.

I have limited room to back our rig in when we get home due to the fact that we are in town and parking off of an ally. I was looking at the idea of getting or making a power dolly.

I saw the adds and videos for the ParkIt 360 as well as plans for building your own power dolly on ebay. The Parkit 360 runs around $1,500 and the "project" on ebay lists parts in the $600-700 range. My questions is... do these power dollies work?

My parking spot is almost flat and is paved with black top. At this time, when we return home with our boat, (2503S Mini Lite on order) I unhitch the Chevy 3500 van and use my son's X-Terra (smaller) to back the trailer into the space. I would love to have a power dolly to park the trailer IF it would work.

I would love to hear any opinions and reviews from people who own and use a power dolly before I invest the money and or time in this project.

Thanks! Skip

SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
I am looking to do the same thing I would like to here if anyone has one of them power Dolly's too. Hope we can get some more info from someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

cnack72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Yes, the power dollies work and do work well depending on design and what you throw at it in terms of tongue weight and what you expect it to traverse. Do you need a gas-powered or can you use electric, either AC or DC? If you are on flat grade with a relatively light trailer, will a Trailer Valet do it for you? Do you need one with assisted steering? You said you are in a town, so does that mean you don't have an ATV or garden tractor up for the task? I have actually built a few myself, typically out of junked snowblowers with independent wheel control for heavier trailers and they are easy to caster and put a frame for a ball on. I also built some electric ones to run from golf cart batteries. Biggest concern is what you are going to negotiate because if you have slope, you are going to want to rig control of your trailer brakes with the dolly! Trust me here. I used to climb quite a driveway with my 'blower model and needed to use the trailer brakes a time or two. I used a rheostat that I made thumb controlled on the right handle to apply voltage to the brakes as needed, and had the breakaway switch lanyard on my wrist for emergency. The manufactured units, with the big cost, generally come with some good weight as well for this reason, but now always. Careful considerations a must!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Team
I have a power mover and am able to put the trailer within 5" of my garage. It will handle slight grades, ( limited by traction rather than power). It has a very long 40' power cord. It comes with the option to add a 12V battery to operate brakes, I rewired the trailer plug so that is uses the trailer battery instead. Very easy to control and move. If you build one, be certain to add a brake switch.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

power, trailer